Peanut butter addiction?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Could you describe in detail the texture, taste, and feelings you get when you eat peanut butter? What are it’s qualities that make it so special? Have you ever tried eating it as slowly as you can?
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There are portion-controlled single serving portions of PB, I buy those. They are more expensive but help with the temptation to over-indulge.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Any ways to cut back without completely cutting it out??
    I eat PB all the time. Just fit it in my calories and compensate other places as needed. So If I have my two PBJ's for dinner, that is close to 800 calories, but I eat lighter meals elsewhere. All about balancing things really. I haven't had to give up anything yet. Just moderate and compensate.

FYI, I have had 5 Hershey Kisses and Skippy PB ever night for the last 3 weeks. Lots of chicken and veggies for lunch to balance it.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    addiction does not mean what you seem to think it does :/

Actually, it seems that Merriam-Webster agrees with OP:

"Definition of addiction
    1 : the quality or state of being addicted - addiction to reading
    2 : compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (such as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

Examples of addiction in a Sentence
    He has a drug addiction.
    His life has been ruined by heroin addiction.
    He devotes his summers to his surfing addiction.

Because words can have multiple variations of meaning.

Sorry, I know that's not the point of the original post, but I did feel the need to defend since we were getting a bit snarky about it.

And no mental health professional will diagnose her with an addiction to peanut butter (or a surfing addiction). :wink: Some foods trigger folks to over eat, just as some circumstances can. That doesn't make the food or the circumstance addicting. There are ways to deal with problem behaviors that focus around food, and problem behaviors are not equal to addiction.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    Peanut butter has been a problem for me since I was a teen and I recently heard a chef on the Food Network say that one reason we tend to over eat it is that most brands contain molasses.

I keep sugary foods like cookies and candy out of the house because I know anything with added sugar is a trigger food for me, however my Jif peanut butter only has 3 g sugar so it is at, but not over, my self-imposed limit. Another reason it's in my house is that my son loves it.

The problem is that of all the sugars, (cane, beet, honey, etc.) molasses is the fastest moving, with a harder hit to the liver and blood sugar, making us want more and more. (Sorry, if that sounds unscientific, I'm just repeating what I've heard.) It makes sense to me, anyway. :)

How is molasses the "fastest moving"? Does it have something to do with the proportion of sucrose, glucose, and fructose related to other sweeteners?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to go overboard with popcorn and potato chips. The latter I just don't keep in the house and only buy small single serving baked style when I go to Subway or something like that. When my husband wants chips he buys kinds that I don't like, or goes single serving. Popcorn I cycled through a bunch of different options and finally settled on pre-popped kettle corn. I don't inhale it like I did microwave or white cheddar, but I still get to enjoy popcorn from time to time. You don't have to totally give up peanut butter, but don't try and rely on "willpower" either. At least half of willpower is making it as easy as possible for you to do (or not do) whatever it is you're trying to do.

Me, too. No sweet tooth, but I love me some savory. I rarely buy them, and if I do, it's a small single-serving bag.

Justin's Natural makes single serving peanut butter. And the price is probably going to help you not buy more than one pouch at a time.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would get a small spoon dedicated for PB. Allow yourself no more than 1 tsp (or 2) a day, this way you are still having this but it shouldn't make you gain weight.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I had to eliminate it all together. I mix a bit of PB2 into vanilla yogurt once in a blue moon. And I’ll occasionally buy the single serving packets of Barneys or Justin’s almond butter. It’s a slippery slope
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have had some luck eating peanuts instead of peanut butter too. It takes a lot longer to eat the same number of calories
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with others on getting the PB2 powder! I love it!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    Peanut butter has been a problem for me since I was a teen and I recently heard a chef on the Food Network say that one reason we tend to over eat it is that most brands contain molasses.

I keep sugary foods like cookies and candy out of the house because I know anything with added sugar is a trigger food for me, however my Jif peanut butter only has 3 g sugar so it is at, but not over, my self-imposed limit. Another reason it's in my house is that my son loves it.

The problem is that of all the sugars, (cane, beet, honey, etc.) molasses is the fastest moving, with a harder hit to the liver and blood sugar, making us want more and more. (Sorry, if that sounds unscientific, I'm just repeating what I've heard.) It makes sense to me, anyway. :)

How is molasses the "fastest moving"? Does it have something to do with the proportion of sucrose, glucose, and fructose related to other sweeteners?

I've never looked into the molasses thing (last I heard people were claiming molasses was better than other forms of sugar) but in any case doesn't seem like any sugar combined with a much great portion of peanuts (relative to the sugar) should be that fast moving, as peanuts contribute some protein and fiber.

I'm weird in that I hated peanut butter growing up -- I thought it was a texture thing -- but then when I tried "natural" (a kind with no sugar added) as an adult I realized I enjoyed it. Like I said above, I do prefer other nut butters, but I can say definitively that my enjoyment of nut butters (including peanut butter) has zero to do with added sugar -- it's a food I dislike extra sweetness in (the chocolate spreads don't appeal for the same reason, although I enjoy the combination of peanuts and chocolate like all reasonable people) (j/k).

Slowfaster, you can definitely find it without molasses if you want to see if that helps you control it, if it's an issue (you could think of the Jif as your son's PB). If it's not an issue, ignore this.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds funny but it’s actually becoming quite a problem for me.
    A while ago I discovered a love for peanut butter and started eating it almost every day; with fruit, sandwiches, the lot. Now I just eat it out the jar with a spoon. I think it’s contributed a lot to my recent regaining of weight, and if I go a day without it I find myself craving it badly. Any ways to cut back without completely cutting it out??

Don’t buy any actual peanut butter. Instead, buy things that have peanut butter with them, like Clif Bars or prepackaged salad with a peanut sauce, etc etc
  • RunningJustIncase
    RunningJustIncase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter (arguably my favorite food)! Often days I’ll eat 5-8 tbsp. It’s all within a deficit though. My favorite is peter pan creamy
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem too, as well as with other nut or seed butters. Now I just don't really buy them much, or buy the types I don't like, that my kids will still eat (I like the natural peanut butter, they don't care either way). It's just so calorie dense, that I'd rather use my calories elsewhere. Sometimes I might have an apple with just 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, but only if I'm packing it for a work lunch and will be away from the jar the rest of the day
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    A while ago I discovered a love for peanut butter and started eating it almost every day; with fruit, sandwiches, the lot. Now I just eat it out the jar with a spoon. I think it’s contributed a lot to my recent regaining of weight, and if I go a day without it I find myself craving it badly. Any ways to cut back without completely cutting it out??

Jif and Skippy both make little single serving (well, more like 2 servings if having it with anything else) tubs of peanut butter (250-270 calories each). It creates a bit more of a stop in the brain to have to open another packet than does 'just 1 more spoonful'.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Don’t buy any actual peanut butter. Instead, buy things that have peanut butter with them, like Clif Bars or prepackaged salad with a peanut sauce, etc etc

But-Clif bars are best when dipped in peanut butter. ;(
    (One of my favorite post-run meals is 1/2 a Clif bar dipped in 1/2 a single-serve tub of peanut butter).
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I cant have PB in the house because I will eat it with a spoon, and add it to everything.