Is soy bad for weight loss?

Options
fitjcf
fitjcf Posts: 17 Member
I read that soy and raw cruciferous may be associated with thyroid enlargement issues, which in turn can impact hormone level. Does anyone know what a safe level of these foods are?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    The 96-odd pounds I've dropped over the last 14 months going through 1-2 packs of veggie dogs per week along with veggie burgers, tofu, and various soy schnitzels (not to mention occasional coleslaw) seems to say 'no'.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Excess calories are bad for weight loss...
  • fitjcf
    Options
    Well it is not that simple... this is the article I found.

https://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert#.WmJR1G50Cm0.email

• janejellyroll
    Options
    fitjcf wrote: »

I suggest you check out more of their agenda -- The Weston A. Price Foundation is attempting to sell a particular diet plan that is very anti-soy.

That said, if you're already made up your mind based on their propaganda, I'm not sure why you're asking the question here.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is too much of that thing. Otherwise, nothing is always bad for everyone's weight loss.
    That is, anything is acceptable, but your personal choices are most important.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Isn't Weston Price the dentist who based all of his nutrition advice on the state of people's teeth with no other context?

So the first thing they cite is a PDF download of a screencap of a search from 2006 of the FDA Poisonous Plant Database for the word "soy." None of those titles seem to suggest that soy is bad for humans. Most of them are animal studies. And most of them are articles that are over 40 years old.

Their second link of sources is almost as bad, out of context, and out of date.

I don't know why I clicked on the third link expecting anything different.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Weston Price was a dentist who got interested in nutrition, formulated some opinions, and wrote some books. His charitable foundation is not a scientific source.

Considering Asian countries have used soy as a foundation of their diets for generations, I figure the occasional tofu or edamame I eat is fine. I would guess any article telling you tofu or broccoli are jacking up your thyroid are at best relying on studies using ginormous levels of intake, or over-dramatizing vague correlations, if there is any research to back it up at all.

You know the diet industry is getting desperate when they try to tell you cruciferous veggies are bad for you :dizzy:
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Isn't Weston Price the dentist who based all of his nutrition advice on the state of people's teeth with no other context?

So the first thing they cite is a PDF download of a screencap of a search from 2006 of the FDA Poisonous Plant Database for the word "soy." None of those titles seem to suggest that soy is bad for humans. Most of them are animal studies. And most of them are articles that are over 40 years old.

Yep, he's the one. The Weston A. Price Foundation considers soy poison, but recommends the consumption of raw milk and calls vaccination "a two-hundred year mistake."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Weston Price was a dentist who got interested in nutrition, formulated some opinions, and wrote some books. His charitable foundation is not a scientific source.

Considering Asian countries have used soy as a foundation of their diets for generations, I figure the occasional tofu or edamame I eat is fine. I would guess any article telling you tofu or broccoli are jacking up your thyroid are at best relying on studies using ginormous levels of intake, or over-dramatizing vague correlations, if there is any research to back it up at all.

You know the diet industry is getting desperate when they try to tell you cruciferous veggies are bad for you :dizzy:

Granted I didn't look too hard, but I didn't even see any citations of any actual studies either...usually an article will at least provide or link citations...

and yeah...broccoli is bad for you...what's next?
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hyperthyroidism/faq-20058188

If you aren't taking hypothyroidism hormones, there doesn't appear to be much science that suggests soy is harmful assuming it's adequately cooked to limit the amount of trypsin inhibitors you're ingesting (which is, by no means, an issue unique to soy).

• diannethegeek
    Options

Since I can't leave well enough alone and I'd never come across the FDA Poisonous Plant Database before, the Weston Price Foundation is trying to make a feeble claim that since soy appears in the poisonous plant database, it must be dangerous. Broccoli appears 29 times in the database. Coconut appears 19 times. Almonds appear 8 times, including a paper titled: "Aha!!, The smell of bitter almonds ... cyanide poisoning." Soy does return 197 results, but they include goiters in rats, "Flatulence caused by soya and its control through processing," and the proper feeding of broiler chicks.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I read that soy and raw cruciferous may be associated with thyroid enlargement issues, which in turn can impact hormone level. Does anyone know what a safe level of these foods are?

hasnt impacted my thyroid in any way,shape or form. its still running efficiently. if you have a thyroid issue you see an endocrinologist and see what they tell you. but most will tell you those things have no impact.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Some people do have thyroid issues with excessive soy, but unless you're having thyroid problems, which is very easy for a doctor to test, why would you worry? Get a thyroid test if you're worried about your thyroid. Many women do need medication. It's an easy fix. Asking on the internet will not do anything to fix thyroid problems.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

Just cause it's in print doesn't make it so....or in this case.....soy :D
  • diannethegeek
    Options

I should stop giving this website clicks, but I cannot get over the unmitigated gall they have. One of the things they're using as evidence is a letter that *they* sent to the FDA and then posted to their website which they're now using as evidence because a letter was sent to the FDA about this. They did that. They sent it. Never mind that soy isoflavones have GRAS status. Nevermind that the European Food Safety Authority could find no evidence against them. No. A scary letter was sent to the FDA to try and convince them to revoke soy isoflavones' GRAS status. Be afraid!

My mind is just blown by the ridiculousness of this site.
  • fitjcf
    Options
    Okay interesting view points here, thanks for taking the time to reply.