Lifting Weights For Beginners

Options
I just recently have joined a gym and was told that lifting weights is one of the best ways to lose weight and gain lean muscle. But i have never lifted weights and I have no idea how to start. Are there any apps out there or any advice for a beginner like me?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Personal training (best and $$$), group training (good and $$), exercise classes (pretty good and $), or youtube videos (free, but you might need some equipment).
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Follow a structured program like Strong lifts or Strong curves I think one is called which is quite often recommended.

There is a thread on here I'm sure someone will have a link for best lifting programmes to follow.

When I first started the gym I hired PT for few sessions to teach me proper form before I started free weights .
    As a complete newbie that might be a good idea and also there are lots of videos on YouTube where you can learn more about it.

I love weights it shaped my body in a way cardio never could and it's great fun and confidence boost everytime you lift heavier than before.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Take a look through some of the programmes here, and choose one that you think you will be able to stick to. There are options for bodyweight exercises, limited equipment and full programmes.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I got a bunch of books on strength training out of the library. Then I went to the bookstore and bought a totally different one that's been a godsend. The title is Strength Training for Women by Joan Pagano.

Pros
    • Aimed at all levels of fitness and strength
    • Wide variety of exercises for most muscles/muscle groups. While focus is on dumbbells, there are body-weight exercises, too. Also, some incorporate other equipment, such as stability balls, ankle weights, cardio step, resistance tubes and bands. However, if you don't have/plan on purchasing these, just do an exercise that doesn't require them.
    • Full color photos illustrate each exercise.
    • Clear, step-by-step instructions, as well as notes about the most common form errors and how to avoid them.
    • Each exercise is typically shown with three levels. So, for example, to take forward lunges, Level One would be 10 reps, 1-2 sets, no added weights. Level Two would be 12-15 reps, 1-2 sets, 3-5lb weights. Level Three would be 8-12 reps, 1-3 sets, 8-12lb dumbbells. Progress at your own pace.
    • She has three sample full-body workouts at the back of the book.
    • And four weights-and-cardio interval workouts

Cons
    • Doesn't include suggestions for increasing weights beyond 'Level Three' and most of her dumbbell exercises top out at 12lbs. I've been slowly adding weights as I go.
  • atwoka99
    atwoka99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all who have responded i’m going to look into youtube, a PT and books from the library.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    paulbrttn wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Take a look through some of the programmes here, and choose one that you think you will be able to stick to. There are options for bodyweight exercises, limited equipment and full programmes.

I second that you read through this post.
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use JEFIT, it's a brilliant App. Free with ads, or 40$/year without ads. It has a log, videos and descriptions on how to do the movements, and I have been using it for 3 years.
  • deimosphoebos
    Options
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    atwoka99 wrote: »
    I just recently have joined a gym and was told that lifting weights is one of the best ways to lose weight and gain lean muscle. But i have never lifted weights and I have no idea how to start. Are there any apps out there or any advice for a beginner like me?

Every gym I've ever joined gave me at least one free session with a personal trainer. I firmly believe this is a better way to learn good practices than via books/online/videos. Once you have the basics, you can move on to learning via those resources.

Many of the gyms I've belonged to also had small group training for free or very cheap.

If none of that is available to you, do consider paying for a few sessions with a PT.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When my wife got into lifting, she did New Rules of Lifting for Women...the read itself was very beneficial for her. She ran that program to completion and then did Strong Curves. She's now been working with a PT for a couple of years.

She did Starting Strength briefly with me, but she was more interested in a more all around lifting/fitness program rather than what was more an introduction to power lifting in Starting Strength.

Different programs emphasize different objectives...like Starting Strength and Strong Lifts 5x5 emphasize making mad strength gains in as linear a fashion as possible...New Rules was kind of an all around programming...Strong Curves is kind of an all arounder but emphasizes the glutes and lower body...etc, etc, etc...
  • deimosphoebos
    Options
    I am going to tell you honestly, that trainers are overrated unless you are about to start lifting heavy and doing complex movements. The cost (north of 50$ an hour, sometimes more) for someone to walk you around and show you some dumbbells, a few machines, etc, is not worth it in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I had a trainer twice in the last 10 years, but neither helped me achieve my fitness goals. Start small, and simple. Low weight, simple movements, and you should be good to go.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I am going to tell you honestly, that trainers are overrated unless you are about to start lifting heavy and doing complex movements. The cost (north of 50$ an hour, sometimes more) for someone to walk you around and show you some dumbbells, a few machines, etc, is not worth it in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I had a trainer twice in the last 10 years, but neither helped me achieve my fitness goals. Start small, and simple. Low weight, simple movements, and you should be good to go.

I used to feel this way, then I watched some novice would-be weight lifters in the gym. They were on track to injure themselves, for sure. I realized how I had learned weightlifting over years of doing it with friends (when I was younger and less prone to injury). If you are a bit older and haven't had any training, it's money well spent.

Also, as mentioned above, you can just do a group lesson if you want to save $$. It's not quite as good, but it is a lot cheaper.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I used to feel this way, then I watched some novice would-be weight lifters in the gym. They were on track to injure themselves, for sure. I realized how I had learned weightlifting over years of doing it with friends (when I was younger and less prone to injury). If you are a bit older and haven't had any training, it's money well spent.

Also, as mentioned above, you can just do a group lesson if you want to save $$. It's not quite as good, but it is a lot cheaper.

Agreed.

I've just started working with a PT. I have read books, and watched hundreds of hours of youtube content on powerlifting, olympic lifting, and bodybuilding/general strength training. None of that is as useful as having immediate feedback on your form. Knowing you should keep a neutral spine is different to knowing when you're NOT keeping one, for example. I think it's a great investment for anyone starting out, especially if they have any anxiety about being in "that" part of the gym (like I did). I already had a gym induction (where they walk you around and introduce you to the machines), so that isn't what you're paying for. At least it isn't for me, anyway.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Depends on the trainer. There are a lot of lame ones out there. There are a few excellent ones. They are more than worth it.
  • atwoka99
    atwoka99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I go to anytime fitness and have talked to a PT. I have a session with him next week. Thank you all for your reaponses and advice they are really appreciated and I will be looking through the threads on here as well.