Keto

Options
Anyone doing Keto? Also are there settings in MyFitnessPal for Keto?

Replies

• catluvgal
    catluvgal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm Keto! You can either use the low carb settings or customize to your macros. I think customizing is best. Ketooooooo!
  • calico55
    calico55 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I cant find the daily macro pie chart for daily carbs, protein, fats
  • becksybooXx
    becksybooXx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It comes under nutrition, settings in the right top corner.
  • Mother4Jesus
    Mother4Jesus Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Keto.. what are your carb/calorie/fat ratios??
  • gtunlimited
    gtunlimited Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    75%fat, 20%protein, 5%carb. Often just over on protein and just under on fat. Just restarted a week ago, been off the wagon since my second son was born 7 months ago. So glad to be back on
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto is typically under 50g of carbs a day. Athletes might go a fair bit higher if they time carbs around exercise, and those with insulin resistance might find they need to go lower.

Protein is often moderate: between 20-30%. Those with medically prescribed ketogenic diets might go lower, and those who are bulking might choose to go higher.

Fat fills in the rest.
  • norajleibman
    norajleibman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on keto for the long haul. I've been on it for a 1 1/2 years. I've lost about 30 lbs. It's been slow, but that's ok. My doc has me on it to improve my mental health. It has been an incredible improvement. I'm very happy most of the time. There's a lot of research being done that shows it is very beneficial for, even severe, mental illness. Not that surprising when you know keto was first used in the 1920s to help kids with epilepsy. Apparently, the brain really likes it! So, be keto, be happy, and chill.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    I'm on keto for the long haul. I've been on it for a 1 1/2 years. I've lost about 30 lbs. It's been slow, but that's ok. My doc has me on it to improve my mental health. It has been an incredible improvement. I'm very happy most of the time. There's a lot of research being done that shows it is very beneficial for, even severe, mental illness. Not that surprising when you know keto was first used in the 1920s to help kids with epilepsy. Apparently, the brain really likes it! So, be keto, be happy, and chill.

You do realize that the keto diet only showed improvements for *children* with epilepsy, not adults? It was never used for adults and was not found to be effective past childhood.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

You do realize that the keto diet only showed improvements for *children* with epilepsy, not adults? It was never used for adults and was not found to be effective past childhood.

Pretty sure he doesn't have or is using keto for epilepsy. The keto diet has been used and prescribed by Doctors for mild cognitive function and other situations where more glucose as a substrate for energy is probably going make things worse. As a diet for weight loss, yeah, probably one of the worst as far as adherence. I gave it a try and it really is a pain in the butt.
  • mrhairyman
    mrhairyman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I dont know if it's mentioned earlier here, but Keto is also suggested for people (like me) with Type 2 Diabetes. I process carbs and sugars less well than most people, so Keto - or at least v low carb, has been suggested to me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Pretty sure he doesn't have or is using keto for epilepsy. The keto diet has been used and prescribed by Doctors for mild cognitive function and other situations where more glucose as a substrate for energy is probably going make things worse. As a diet for weight loss, yeah, probably one of the worst as far as adherence. I gave it a try and it really is a pain in the butt.

I believe she was objecting to the implication that if the keto diet is good for children with epilepsy, it must be good for adults with mental illness. If that is what the poster meant to say, I object to that as well.

• hodgson9966
    hodgson9966 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mrhairyman wrote: »
    I dont know if it's mentioned earlier here, but Keto is also suggested for people (like me) with Type 2 Diabetes. I process carbs and sugars less well than most people, so Keto - or at least v low carb, has been suggested to me.

I was diagnosed pre-diabetic and strict keto (Carbs under 20 gms) since Christmas. 13 kgs lost, blood pressure down, blood sugar down in the normal range! YAY!!!