Morbidly obese, lower back hurts when walking

Ok well... i'm just going to put myself out there... I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere or this isn't the proper location.

Me: 6'2" 420lbs, Male, 30

I've never been very active but even less so in the last year thanks to an ankle injury. I work in sales (phone) so I'm at a desk all day and I don't go out very much.

I want to start walking. Even if it's just around the block, I want to do something every day. My issues is I get sharp pain in my lower back if I walk for more than about 10 minutes. I'm sure it's due to my sedentary lifestyle.

Are there stretches or something I should be doing first? i considered getting a recumbent bike, would that help?

Replies

• catzZxx
    catzZxx Posts: 13 Member
    I have a cross trainer and it helps alot I'm not very active either i work in an office and when i get home i just sit on my *kitten* all day! Lol , but the cross trainer dose help i can only manage 15 mins on it atm but gradually increasing, i was 11 stone 9 ive lost 6 pounds in a week by dieting and the cross trainer
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Pain in your back is probably more to do with the extra weight your body has to carry than from being sedentary. I started getting back pains when I put on a lot of weight, and the pains have gone since I have dropped it. I wouldn't push too much if it is really hurting but start small. Maybe consult a doctor to work out a safe exercise plan.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    A couple thing that often help..

Focus on pulling in your ab muscles while you walk, because the abs brace your pelvis and spine. Avoid listening to music, which can distract from keeping your abs tight.
    Let me know if the abs thing doesn't make sense.

Also wear shoes that don't have a raised heel. These are very hard to find! Almost all shoes have a raised heel, which creates a clunkier walking gait, adding stress to the joints. Look for "zero heel" shoes, like skateboard shoes, which is what i walk in, or Altras.

Since you sit a lot, your hip flexor muscles are probably tight, which can end up causing back pain. Try doing this stretch for them a few times a day, and before walking too: youtube.com/watch?v=YQmpO9VT2X4
    I wouldn't do other stretches before walking unless a physical therapist recommends them.

Keep us updated! :+1:
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    I hear you ... excess weight (specially in the middle of the body) and long hours sitting at a desk are a good formula for weak hips and leg muscles, as well as weak core muscles ... so starting out slowly on a core strength fitness routine will go a long way to helping you keep mobile upright for longer periods of time ...
    ... at least that is what worked for me ...
    There are a lot of beginner core strength videos on YouTube and even in the MFP Healthy blogs ... look some up, start a short introductory program, like you would with physical therapy ... 10 minutes 3 times a week and then increasing the time by a few minutes after the couple of weeks have passed ... and see how that helps.

Also want to stress a caution for you ... my weak core muscles from a life and work style as you describe for yourself made my spine more prone to injury and displaced discs between the spine vertebrae ... and I am now ... 40 years later ... unable to stand for longer than 5 minutes without my legs and feet going numb ... because I did rupture a lot of discs and once those puppies are busted ... well, they are busted!

Take it easy at the start ... but take it!
  • Halloweenmom31
    Halloweenmom31 Posts: 56 Member
    I would like to say how proud I am of you for doing something to help yourself!!!!!! That’s wonderful!!!! I have a friend that is your size. I try to encourage him to do something,anything to get healthy! If you would like to add me as a support buddy I’d be honored! I don’t usually have friends on here but your story moves me.. I would love to help! ❤️
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    If you can't do 10 minutes at a time, do 5 minutes twice a day, then 3 times a day, etc, then increase your time by a few more minutes each time.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I have Arthritis and back issues. I have found hiking poles to be a brilliant addition to my life. My physiopherapist reccomended I try them. They help take a bit of weight of your joints and help keep you stable. They also give you a bit of arm movement in your walk to burn a few more calories.

I felt a bit silly at first but they are seriously a big help. You should get them from an outdoor shop where they can check they are adjusted correctly for your height.
  • fitandpainfree
    fitandpainfree Posts: 38 Member
    I too am highly over weight (5'4 and 212pds) and suffer from lower back pain and chronic pain flare ups and walking is hard for long periods. Go slow. Get up every couple of hours or so and take a walk around your office/room or hallway. Go for as long as you can and try to increase daily. If you can only do a couple laps around your room or go up/down hallway a couple times at first, Great! It's better than nothing and you'll begin to feel better. I walk around the play yard at my school during outside time twice a morning for about 10-15 minutes while the kiddos play. It's slow and leisure, but it's something and the added benefit is I can still supervise my little ones. GOOD LUCK!
  • averyhabbott
    averyhabbott Posts: 2 Member
    Good luck with your journey! The pool is definitely your friend for now. Not only will it help alleviate the weight which will help your back, you'll be able to push your cardio and muscles harder and for longer as a result, so you'll be getting some of the best workout possible.

It might be best to keep the exercise fairly light for now and focus on losing weight through diet first. If you're anything like me, that's not what you want to hear, and you'll be antsy, but don't push yourself to injury. With the above-average weight on your muscles, joints, and spine, you're going to have issues with longer recovery from injuries, so avoiding them in the first place is the most surefire path to avoid getting taken entirely out of the game for long enough to get discouraged.

Also worth noting - muscle burns calories, even at rest. Weight lifting will probably slow your weight loss initially, but it'll speed up your fat burning and help give you some great non-scale victories.

With jumping into any exercise, it's pretty universally recommended to talk to your primary care doctor beforehand to *kitten* any risks you might have.

Once again, good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    For me, I started at 313# and had back/hip pains from walking more than 5 minutes. I walked (using a walking stick) for as long as I could stand the pain, then stopped. I repeated this every day, sometimes a couple times a day. As I lost weight, the pain went away and I could walk for longer times. I was so happy when I made it around the block!

I think losing weight will ease the pain, but check with your doctor like others said.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I like the advice you've received, but I'll just address the recumbent bike. That's how I started when I was at my highest weight and was pretty limited by joint issues. I love it and still use it even though I've lost 25% of my body weight. I like to put my favorite upbeat music on and keep the beat, and the time tends to go by quickly. Mine is the Marcy ME-709 on Amazon- very sturdy & quiet and not expensive at all.