Losing motivation for this diet

Options
Hi I am 33 yrs. old and trying to lose. I've been dieting for 3 mos now and have lost 25lbs. I am excited to see the changes and love seeing the scale numbers drop every time I weigh in. However, after 3 mos of dieting I am getting so tired of it. I am staying within 1200 calories a day, with light activity level (Zumba twice a week). Morning I have a hardboiled egg, coffee with creamer and water. Snack I have pretzels. Lunch is a sandwich/ soup/ or salad. Snack is apple/ bell pepper w/ hummus/ or Caramel corn rice cakes. Dinner is a slim Fast shake. I don't have cheat days and I don't eat more the days that I work out. I know that dieting to lose weight is going to be hard and a struggle at times, but I can't help but want to eat more this week. I hope this feeling will go away soon (it could be hormonal). We shall see....

Replies

• michelleraebaker
    michelleraebaker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to eat healthy, but eat real food. Ditch the slim-fast replace it with something like a chicken breast and veggies, and add something else to breakfast. One hard boiled egg is not enough to last through the day. Large calorie restricted diets are extremely hard, no fun at all, and people usually end up gaining the weight back. My advice to you is workout daily, go for a walk, add more zumba, do a workout on youtube, whatever... then eat those calories back, eat real food. You feel more like a human then.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is simple, but not necessarily easy: Eat less, move more. That is something you do, and is under control, so you don't try. You have lost weight, so you have eaten less/moved more for real.

But you can't just blindly eat less/move more, you have to do it sensibly. Don't undereat. 1200 calories is the absolute minimum and recommended only if you're short, elderly, relatively lean already, and sedentary. You're also supposed to eat back some of your exercise calories. Dieting is hard enough as it is, don't make it harder than it has to be!

You need a healthy diet, and a healthy diet is balanced and varied, providing you with all the nutrition you need every day, and not too much of anything over time. Eating too little and/or the same things day in, day out, isn't just difficult and boring, so you risk burnout and rebound overeating and regain, you're risking malnutrition too.

Eat real food and real meals. You know what that is: A selection of foods from all the food groups, prepared to your liking. If the weightloss is all that motivates you, you'll burn out in no time.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options

This.
    But also try maintenance for a week or plan a special something. Been here 4 years and knowing that my summer holiday was maintenance and I had a few special days a year that were the parts that really got me through. I remember in my first year (I started on jan 6th) I was so so looking forward to Easter, but knowing that day was not too far of and that I would be able to eat something really nice (in my case a chocolate croissant) kept me going when times were rough
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd have no motivation to eat like that for one day let alone months.

Why you doing that to yourself? You can eat yummy nice food within your calories.

Why 1200 calories as well? Set it to lose 1 lb a week and enjoy your food again.