Does Anybody Use a Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
I have been considering getting a hear rate monitor for some time but I wanted to know if anybody here uses them. I am looking for one that is good quality but fairly reasonably priced. And do all of them keep tracked of calories burned as that would be a great tool to use to record my fitness routines on MFP.

Replies

• Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would say a good amount of people around here use one. I have a Polar FT4 that I got from Amazon $55 shipped. It's super easy to use!
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    I love my HRM and can't imagine workout out without one. I have a Polar FT4. If you get one, make sure it has the chest strap and watch for better accuracy. I purchased mine off of Amazon for about $60.
  • dianeboehm
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7. Love it. Just got one for my husband too. I also found mine on Amazon. The FT7 counts calories as well.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    Also a Polar FT4 owner since November 2010 and NEVER workout without it. LOVE!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Loads of people on here use hrms. I just got mine a few weeks ago (polar ft7), and I really love it, I wish I'd bought it sooner. It's a great motivater. Most of the cardio equipment I was using way overestimated my burn. If you get one, you definitely want one with a chest strap- more accurate. Polar is a great brand
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Excellent suggestions if you do a search for HRM's. You'll see which model, brand, features that are favorites and price points other members have shared over the years. :flowerforyou: This topic comes up almost daily so there's a lot of info on it there.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

This is the blog for you! Great read and will explain all you need to know about HRM's!

Best of Luck!
  • jojospero
    jojospero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40... I love it! Works great!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    go polar or go home
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 and totally love it!! MFP was underestimating my calorie burn during strength training by double!! Its great to know exactly what I'm burning now. I got mine from Amazon as well and its super easy to use. I am a complete idiot when it comes to using anything like that and I figured it out without even pouring over the directions! Easy Breezy for use! Worth every penny!

I was skeptical about the chest strap and how uncomfortable it would be and I can't even feel it on under my clothing. Very very comfortable!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and I love it. After reading the post linked to by juliapurpletoes I would have liked to get one that measures V02max, but those models are in the 200+ range. Maybe I'll get one as a Christmas present to myself if I make good progress.

What I love about using a HRM vs using MFP's calculations:
    I've found MFP's calculations are pretty close to accurate for me, but others have found them way off (over or under).
    When I walk I don't have to calculate how fast I was walking with miles/time. I just start the HRM and go.
    I just started c25k and I can't imagine trying to calculate calories for that!!
    The HRM warns me if I'm pushing too hard and my heart rate goes above 90%. Ditto if I'm not pushing hard enough. I keep the watch in heart-rate view and try to keep walks going at 60-75%, runs at 70-90%. I'm just starting now to recognize the physical signs of when I'm in the right zone for myself.
    I get instant feedback with the HRM. It really helps motivate me to go just a little further so I can get my calorie burn to a nice number.

If you get one, make sure you get one with a chest strap (read that post above-good link).
    One thing to remember with any HRM is that it counts your total burn, which includes the calories you would have burned just sitting around instead of doing the exercise. I calculated my sedentary TDEE/min and subtract that from the calorie total before logging. It's a guess, but I don't want to double-count calories.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I also just got a Polar FT4 from Amazon! I think it was $48.