Exercising before or after breakfast

Options
DoreenMartell
DoreenMartell Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello everyone-I am trying to eat low carb/high fat and have lost 40lbs this past year. I am at a standstill so want to add exercises with weights. Read somewhere to exercise before breakfast and then not eat til hungry. Read somewhere else to eat breakfast right away because cortisol is highest then..or something like that!
I am 55 female and 5’2”. Weight is 213lbs. Any suggestions? I have been eating breakfast but not exercising til now. Thanks

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I workout before. I get up, go to the bathroom, put my hair up, grab my water and start a video. I shower and coffee, eat a snack after. Doing a workout on a full stomach would make me sick.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is when it fits your schedule best, when you'll most consistently do it. That varies from person to person.

The best time to eat is when it works best for you in terms of satiety, adherence and workout performance. That varies from person to person.

Everything else is pretty much majoring in the minors.
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I find that I need to eat a little something before I work out...I lift heavy and do a little cardio. I normally have steel cut oats with some natural PB mixed in, 20 mins or so before my work out. As soon as I get home from the gym, I mix up a protein shake with 1/2 frozen banana and cashew milk. I do this every. Single. Day and my body is very happy with this routine. From what I've read, I do think it's important to refuel your body as soon as you wake up but I understand that some people would rather work out on an empty stomach.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why not both?
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Depends if what you eat for breakfast will make you feel sluggish or not when you workout. I tend to eat something light so it digests easy when I workout and gives me a bit more energy. The only difference being I eat carbs which are easier to digest. Just try different things and see what works for you.

As for weight loss, it will make no difference. Calories in vs. Calories out.
  • Lindsey_Ross
    Lindsey_Ross Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I really dislike feeling full during a workout (especially doing a leg press), and love to eat after I've worked out because my appetite is totally there (vs. not so much when I wake up). It is good to have ready-to-go proteins for afterwards, like hard-boiled eggs.

That being said, I've noticed that having an apple before my morning workout does tend to give me better energy. This could totally be in my head.. But I've tried it both ways and that apple seems to do something. :) It's not enough to make me full and my stomach still feels relatively empty during the workout.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have a meal replacement shake made with coffee instead of water when I get up, then I work out (6:15am). I don't think I could do it without the shake.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I like to eat before a workout, but I also don't like eating dinner, so I'm pretty empty in the morning. I find a protein bar and a piece of fruit with a sugar free energy drink gives me a good boost to get my workout done. I can workout without eating before but my heavy lifts will suffer and I'll tire sooner.

It's personal preference though. I've done it both ways in the past and both worked fine.
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    After
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Whatever you like. If you find that you lack the energy for a proper workout before breakfast then don't do it. Say you'd run 5km before breakfast and 10 later in the day due to not being hungry. The latter one burns more calories of course and adds more to fitness.
  • DoreenMartell
    DoreenMartell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments.
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try it both ways and see what feels better. For me, it works better to exercise on an empty stomach. Like, much better. Better performance, better stamina, and (tmi) much less likely to nearly poop my pants mid-cardio session.