Post operation food?

Options
Hello! I recently got my gallbladder taken out (Tuesday!) and I’m a little lost here with what foods are best to eat. Writing here hopefully to see if anyone can recommend meals/dishes/foods that I can eat since I’ve been on a soup diet the past few days and I’m getting over it! If I have to, I will keep eating soup but the dr and nurses weren’t quite helpful to a guide of eating just to stay away from high fat. Can anyone share their experience from a gallbladder surgery or any digestive organ operation and what you ate after? Thanks!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    Options
    I ate lots of veggies & fruits; the lower fat proteins; modest amounts of healthy fats (nuts, avocados, etc.) plus smaller amounts of saturated fats to hit my fat goal (we need some fat for good nutrition!); lowfat and nonfat dairy; grains and starches; etc.

Pretty much, for a while I just stayed away from heavy fried foods, excessive amounts of cheese, super fatty foods, and that sort of thing. Eventually, I gradually phased some back in, and have done fine.

The one thing I'd say, is that if you're trying to lose weight, stop or at least slow way, way down for maybe a month after surgery while healing. I didn't slow/stop, and that was a Bad Plan - I developed fatigue and even weakness, and it took time to bounce back from that.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    I would recommend small meals regularly.
    Lean protein, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.
    Whole grains, porridge, pasta and rice.
    Go easy on gassy foods. Beans, and too many fibrous vegetables.
    Definitely stay away from anything fatty, or deep fried or dary. Too much caffeine or even candy can cause diarrhoea so reintroduce these foods slowly over the coming months.

Drink plenty of water and take it easy.
    It will take your body a while to adjust.
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just had mine out last Sunday and was trying to get info as well. The surgeon says I can eat whatever I want. Same thing when I called my doc. Just seems hard to believe. When I do research on the subject they said the gallbladder was processing fat and grease, so I'm eager to stay away from those things moving forward. Need to get healthy! This has been a real wake-up call for me. But not that the drugs they give you/us/me cause constipation so that has been a challenge. I went from eating yogurt to clear broths, and now I just try to get a cup of caffeinated coffee or tea in me once or twice a day and that helps stimulate things. I think yogurt is generally good for restoring probiotics. Bananas are easy to digest. Today I went for the grapes and they seem fine. Good luck!