Dog walking for weight loss

Options
13»

Replies

• LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Munchberry wrote: »
    If she is pully and it bothers your arm, you might want to try a Gentle Lead. When my dog was young (yet big) she basically made sport of trying to pull my arm from my socket. A gentle lead nipped it. It is this little halter that goes around their muzzle (loosely) and connects to the leash. She tries to veer off straight and it gently annoys her enough to make her stop. Dogs can still pant and drink.

I think they make for fun walks. Sometimes not too productive since everyone wants to pet... still - you will know your neighbors better!

I have one of these for my golden retriever but he's so stubborn, he still tries to pull against it. He's a nightmare, it's a good job I love him <3>:)
  • SarahMacphail1
    SarahMacphail1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    How old is your child SarahM? I would take mine (& still do it with my grand dtr who's 4) in the jogging stoller with the dogs. She gets out & walks for a little then gets tired & gets a ride

He's 2 and a half so 3 miles is fantastic really lol. I struggle with dog and buggy plus jack creates holy hell at being in it now. It's more him investigating everything that slows us but as I say, I really do feel he benefits from it. Better than no exercise at all and if I really want to do a long walk I use a carrier and stick him on my back but he prefers to walk.
  • SarahMacphail1
    SarahMacphail1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have 2 pitbulls and we walk every night. It's relaxing and gets them ready to settle down for the night. It's great for all of us!
    Someone else recently spoke about this. people in another thread assumed that a member only took her dog outside to use the bathroom once per day because she said she does a walk for 40 minutes per day . I'll say now that my dogs get about 8 bathroom breaks plus a nightly walk just so I don't get accused too! The poor thing never came back to her thread after that.

Ugh I've had that before. My dog generally gets an hour to 2 hours on a walk once a day, sometimes more if we go out for the day. I don't count bathroom trips as walks any more than I count walking to the bathroom exercise for me!
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    YESSS!!! Walking a dog is a great way to exercise!
  • imsjohnson
    imsjohnson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    love taking my 1 yr 6 month rottie on walks..she loves it
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50 pounds walking my dogs... if you want to count 5-8 mile hikes through the FL wild lands walking the dogs... lol It's great exercise, even if they pull terribly (especially when they see a deer or wild hog!), but even that burns calories AND helps build upper body strength! GO for it! (And make the hubby come with, so he gets some exercise as well! ;-) )