How many calories do you eat a day?

Options
Im really curious as to how many calories you guys eat on gym days and non gym days???? I would like to see if I have the right idea such as all you guys who have seen so much success. I really would love to compare what I'm doing with others and see if maybe I should adjust. I know personally for me, to see what others are doing motivates me a lot more. I see such great success and numbers from all of you, and I would love love LOVE to be able to do the same.

I feel like I've been yo-yo(ing) since I started, and I do know why. I haven't been very strict with my numbers or diligent with all of my work outs. I am able to say that, and I have set goals for myself, that I know I will get to. I know how good it feels to accomplish your goals. I've reset my numbers and have started again, I just really feel like I need the support of others more than ever now.

Hopefully you guys will give me some input, it would be gladly appreciated!

-Melissa

Replies

• MellyG426
    MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im really curious as to how many calories you guys eat on gym days and non gym days???? I would like to see if I have the right idea such as all you guys who have seen so much success. I really would love to compare what I'm doing with others and see if maybe I should adjust. I know personally for me, to see what others are doing motivates me a lot more. I see such great success and numbers from all of you, and I would love love LOVE to be able to do the same.

I feel like I've been yo-yo(ing) since I started, and I do know why. I haven't been very strict with my numbers or diligent with all of my work outs. I am able to say that, and I have set goals for myself, that I know I will get to. I know how good it feels to accomplish your goals. I've reset my numbers and have started again, I just really feel like I need the support of others more than ever now.

Hopefully you guys will give me some input, it would be gladly appreciated!

-Melissa
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    1200-1400 everyday..even gym days
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Same for me - I might add an extra 100 calories on a gym day, but not much more.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Usually between 1500 - 1800 per day, 1800 if I work out, but I am just maintaining not really looking to lose any more.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I go between 1200-1500 (depending on gym days). Most of the time I burn over 450 at the gym, but I never eat ALL of my exercise calories (but never less than half).

cheers!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Julie837
    Options
    Me three, no more than 1400, never less than 1200, and some gym days I work out 2 1/2 hours. I also think that's why it's been slower for me to lose weight, though I've lost 2 inches from my hips. In any case, I am motivated, and not going to eat more for fear of messing up.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    1200 non gym, 1300-1400 on gym days. burn around 300-400 caleries there. :smile:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining. On non workout days 1500. Depending on what I do for exercise I can go from that base up to about 1750.

It all depends on your height, weight, how active you are during the day. So don't look to much at other peoples numbers. What works for me might not work for someone else.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    today I burned just over a 1000 with exercise so add that to my 1.5 loss per week calorie of 1340 means I will eat just over 2300 calories today...I try to eat all my exercise calories becuase it works...I have lost steadily since acccepting the fact that I need to eat all those cals
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    When I was losing still..........by the end, on non-gym days I ate 1400 and on gym days, I would burn a lot and eat around 1800-1900. And obviously it worked because I got to my goal! :wink:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    and not going to eat more for fear of messing up.

Food is our friend not our enemy. We need to learn to feed our bodies properly so we don't over or under feed it so it learns to use what we give it.Many posts are about how important calories are to your body. How your body needs to stay over 1200 calories per day to function properly and make the metabolism burn faster, using up the food you feed it naturally, instead of having to starve ourselves to do it. It is very important to not let your calories drop drastically below 1200 per day and if you are working out and only eating 1200 calories per day, you are not eating enough. Think to yourself, this is a way I want to keep my body forever, will I realistically be able to eat that few calories every day for the rest of my life? Why not, on this weight loss journey feed your body, so that when the day comes to be done losing weight, you don't have to do anything. You are just there. You are not hungry, you eat healthy food and you exercise. It is possible to do without being hungry.

Really food isn't our enemy, we just need how to learn how to conquer it and make it work for us. if you haven't read the posts yet on why it is important to eat all your exercise calories, please do.

I hope no one takes offence, I hope I don't sound all "know-it-allish" (my word:laugh: ) I just want the weight loss to last for everyone and it is so much easier to do when you aren't hungry.

Go to the message board and read some of the links entitled "links to read over and over again"

this one http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • sblades
    Options
    Same as Tam - 1370 on non workout days and up to 1900 depending on what I have burned.
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I try and fluctuate it every day. For instance, today is my running day and I didn't use up my calories.. but I had a non gym day yesterday and went over the 1200. I sometimes go over, I sometimes stay under just to keep my body guessing! Seems to be working so far! :wink: Good luck and you can do it... just keep trying until you find something that works for you!:flowerforyou:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I have my weight loss calories set at 1300, I will usually eat back about half of my exercise calories.

Most days I end up eating around 1600-1700 calories, which is why I have only lost 2 pounds in almost 6 weeks! :embarassed:
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    i get 1400 everyday, but when i work out i usually eat back the calories (I might have eaten some extra calories I didn't earn today...)
  • nicolet04
    Options
    1200-1300 calories everyday, once i started to add my excercise calories in, i stopped losing weight. so after 4 weeks of not losing, i just started to eat only 1200 again.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Food is our friend not our enemy. We need to learn to feed our bodies properly so we don't over or under feed it so it learns to use what we give it.Many posts are about how important calories are to your body. How your body needs to stay over 1200 calories per day to function properly and make the metabolism burn faster, using up the food you feed it naturally, instead of having to starve ourselves to do it. It is very important to not let your calories drop drastically below 1200 per day and if you are working out and only eating 1200 calories per day, you are not eating enough. Think to yourself, this is a way I want to keep my body forever, will I realistically be able to eat that few calories every day for the rest of my life? Why not, on this weight loss journey feed your body, so that when the day comes to be done losing weight, you don't have to do anything. You are just there. You are not hungry, you eat healthy food and you exercise. It is possible to do without being hungry.

Really food isn't our enemy, we just need how to learn how to conquer it and make it work for us. if you haven't read the posts yet on why it is important to eat all your exercise calories, please do.

I hope no one takes offence, I hope I don't sound all "know-it-allish" (my word:laugh: ) I just want the weight loss to last for everyone and it is so much easier to do when you aren't hungry.

Go to the message board and read some of the links entitled "links to read over and over again"

this one http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Hey know it all!:laugh: :laugh: Just kiddin-I follow exactly what you say.On my rest day, I eat 1200-1400, the days I exercise I eat that much and what I've burned off. And some days I could do more!:laugh: Who am I kidding, on same days I do do more!:laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • swells27
    Options
    1200 calories on non-gym days, and then depending on what type of work out (no cardio vs all cardio)I'm doing it can range from 1400-1800 calories.

:drinker:
    Cheers,
    S.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options

I eat 1200 calories (non working out days) because that's what MFP told me to do for my height/weight and activity level (to loose 1.4 pounds/week). Everyone is different right? I eat most of the calories I burn when I work out, so would you consider me starving my body?
    Just want to clarify..... I'm 5'1" 175 1/2 hour w/o 5 days/week.
  • kmkbh05
    kmkbh05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also eat about 1200-1400 max a day even workout days. You have to eat what is best for you. I went by what MFP told me to eat according to my height and age. What is best for me might not be best for you. Trust what MFP says