Severe depression and horrible self image due to weight

Options
So I’m 208 lbs. 5’11”. I made a goal to lose 43 lbs to get to 165 in six months. I want to help my back hurt less and get more energy. I want to help me deal with less depression due to crap self image. I like to swim at la fitness because it’s a cardio I can do without blacking out. I have copd and asthma so cardio is otherwise difficult. I need motivation and fat loss advice.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about the food, so if you can't or don't want to exercise, get really focused on nutrition and staying in your calories while getting enough protein and fats.

You'll get there. Log your food, study your food diary, learn how to make recipes and how to weigh or measure everything you eat. Easy peasy. :) Welcome to the forums.
  • dking8615
    dking8615 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    To avoid adding any stress to your life, I'd suggest slowing down your weight loss to about 1 pound per week. I don't know why you've set a deadline of 6 months, but it appears a little arbitrary to me. Swimming sounds good as a stress reliever. But it's all about calorie intake that determines your weight loss.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm sure you'll be successful :)
  • BetterInTheFall
    BetterInTheFall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    As someone who has battled depression, I understand. I hope you find some peace through this experience. I would suggest picking a reasonable goal, perhaps lesser, shorter term, and work hard towards it. Small successes breed confidence and propel you to greater successes. Good luck to you.
  • jessicastanfill
    jessicastanfill Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are managing depression. I understand because I have to manage it too. It's so hard. For me, taking the right anti depressant at the right dose did everything for me, and also eating right and exercise and not drinking alcohol. For me the depression it's all related to my body and it's chemistry and health. But everyone is different!! Just know you are not alone and always reach out. People want to be there for you!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    7 lbs per month for 6 months is pretty aggressive. I generally urge everyone who trys to put themselves on a schedule to drop it. A schedule is an invitation to turn weight loss success, losses, into failure, not fast enough.

Also agree that WL is mostly about intake. Lots of good reasons to exercise, but it’s overrated as a weight loss strategy.

Try this, calculate a modest calorie deficit, get a food scale and start a food diary. Crunch numbers. You will soon find that to hit your number you need some kind of plan for each day. Make a plan that incoperates things you actually like to eat.

And this is most important- everything you eat and drink gets logged in your diary. Good days and bad. Eating too many calories is not a reason to stop tracking. The process is more important than the number on any given day. You will make mistakes, lose focus now and again. But the only way to mess up a diary is to quit. Don’t.

Set up a system of controlled regular weigh ins and track a trend line. A livable downward trend is preferable to a schedule. In the end, it takes as long as it takes. And don’t expect a straight line down to your goal. No human undertaking tracks on a straight line. As you lose start thinking about how you are changing your life to stay at goal when you get there. Good luck.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Start researching on here and tracking according to MFP! Just knowing you are doing something you will feel better about yourself.
    If you are one of those that is looking for results yesterday....just get that thought out of your head! It took time to put it on and it will take time to rid yourself of it. It will also take time to change bad habits because this should not be a merry go round of weight loss. This is forever!