How do I count Calories Burned from climbing stairs?

Options
Hi everyone! So on my weight loss journey I am not only working on going to the gym but walking some to get there. I park my car about a half mile away and walk to the gym, most of which are concrete steps uphill. I counted on my way back to the car today, and discovered that I climb 261 steps to get to the gym. I would like to clock that in my exercise log but I have no idea how to figure out how many calories are burned (especially when I am going up hill). I normally try to run up the stairs on the way to the gym at my warm up, and then walk down them as my cool down afterwards.

Does anyone know how to calculate that? I would prefer to figure it out so that I can keep talking the steps instead of walking up the hill.

Thanks!

Replies

• DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    do you have a heart rate moniter? that would be the best way to track...
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    You can use a heart rate monitor if you do it as a work out. The default on mfp is very high I think. When I track my stair work out it's always around 200 cals less and I run pretty hard. I wouldn't count it if you're just walking up to the gym though.
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i burn about 200 cals doing 35-45 min on the stairmaster going at a fairly fast pace so it all depends but i would say that might be a decent round about number for you if you dont have a hrm
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    There is a running/jogging up stairs option under cardio but its probably not that much unless its a heck of a long way up, just think of the steps as a bonus!
  • luriol
    luriol Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you weigh 150 lbs, then a flight of stairs is around 2.4 calories. This assumes 10 ft per flight, and a metabolic efficiency of 20%. You can just scale by your own weight to get the exact number.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Walking up stairs is 2x the calories you burn walking on flat ground in the same time.
    Climbing up 6 floors took me 1 minute, and I logged it as 9 calories. This varies by weight, of course.