chinese/thai take out!!!

Options
paradog
paradog Posts: 378 Member
SInce I've been watching my food...these have been banned but man do I crave it! Anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• Michellerw1
    Options
    Split something, or get a dish with lots of veggies, sauce on the side, brown rice. I can't ban myself from eating stuff I really want, so I usually will eat it on a day when I have worked out particularly hard.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I feel your Pain, I love Thai Food.....I always eat the same thing though, Thai Beef Salad - so fortunatley it's pretty easy to make at home.

I love Thai Soups - bit haven't been game enough to try doing this myself as yet!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Find a special occasion, work out what you *can* eat within your calorie allowance, work it in, like eating less throughout the day, or working out more.

Or, if you're determined to avoid it completely, find a way to cook some of it at home. Even if you have to resort to using a jar of sauce, or something, you'll still have an ingredients and nutritional information on it, so you can log it accurately.
  • 69Jax69
    69Jax69 Posts: 32
    Options
    Try making a homemade version. Kung Pao ckn is my weakness but it's pretty easy to make.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I can't even talk about it..................:cry:
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    deep fried eggrolls :)

:explode:

on a more serious note lol....
    Chicken or shrimp with mixed veggies or chow mein are better choices.. :)
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've just made my own red thai curry which worked out to be only 400 cals per portion!
    I just used a ready made jar of sauce and added chicken breast, onion, baby corn, courgette, mange tout and carrots. Made 4 portions so I had one just now and the others I'll have for lunch/dinner over the next few days.
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Once a month I "treat" myself by getting Chinese.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about healthy Chinese food suggestions, but Thai food is pretty easy to eat healthy. Just get a stir fry with veggies! I love a simple Garlic Chicken Stir Fry with veggies and brown rice. If you want to splurge a little...try a Panang Curry with brown rice and eat a little bit lighter the rest of the day :)
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Banned? That's really sad! You shouldn't ban those foods. It's all about what you order. Yeah, if you get deep fried stuff, but there are tons of awesome options at those places! You just have to learn what things are and what the reality of the foods is and not the stigma that's been put there.

I stick to veggies and meat. Oh I love Asian foods! Learning to cook the foods at home is helpful since you can control how much of things go in. But there are plenty of Chinese take outs that have the "diet" dishes where things are steamed, get your fav sauce on the side for a little dipping.... I love it!

There are some great things at Thai places as well. Similar things where meat is in a sauce with veggies. Oh and I love curries, I just don't use all the coconut milk sauce.

I just can't believe that you'd deny yourself these styles of foods. :noway:
  • AnnetteBlair
    AnnetteBlair Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here in Cali it's law that if you have over 10 restaurants you must have calories listed on your menu,,,SO, I went to a staple Thai and chinese restaurant and asked for a take home menu. Now I can figure out what I can eat and in what quantities! You can also do this by looking up the recipes for you favorite foods, adding the recipe ingredients in My Recipes, and then keeping it handy when ordering!
  • SweGuy
    SweGuy Posts: 78
    Options
    No, no suggestions here - you know what you want and what that choice would mean...
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would suggest having a dish and splitting it. Or getting a nice big bowl of soup first (low calorie) so you fill up on good stuff slightly. Another good choice could be lettuce wraps. I make my own at home. I enjoy my own asian food more then my local places and then I control the calories. I make kung pao chicken, kung pao spaghetti, crispy orange beef, lo mein, and lettuce wraps. If you would like a recipe for any of them let me know. :)
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Find a special occasion, work out what you *can* eat within your calorie allowance, work it in, like eating less throughout the day, or working out more.

I agree with this! I had sweet and sour chicken LAST NIGHT. It is my chinese weakness and, boy, it was Yummy! IN the end I was still UNDER on calories and I had a good sized portion but I workout alot yesterday and by the end of the day I had a tons of calories left over and I didn't think I could eat them all with a regular healthy dinner and snacks so I decided to treat myself!
  • avalacrosse
    Options
    NUMBER ONE RULE: NEVER DEPRIVE YOURSELF. Give yourself a cheat day. The only issue with Thai food is the high amounts of sodium. Just because it has vegetables and rice DOES NOT make it the slightest bit healthy. Cooked vegetables are stripped from enzymes, giving them no nutritional value; Only high sodium. Rice is OKAY but the starches will get you. Just a thought if you plan on having this as a "healthy" snack on day.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Look up some recipes on line. I regularly make a yellow Thai vegetarian curry with brown rice. Yummy!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have Thai all the time. If I cook it at home it is very nutritious. If I go out, then I'm not exactly sure what they use so probably not as nutritious. I would stick with the lean meat & veggie stir fries and hold the rice. I also make sure I do a big workout on these days.

You don't have to cut out a certain food, you make adjust it a bit and fit it into your macros/cal targets and it's all good :smile:

The curries usually use coconut milk which is fairly high cal but the fat from coconuts are MCT's which are a good type so I don't really worry about the fat content.

In saying that, I have cut out Chinese. Too much deep fried *kitten* for me. Doesn't appeal at all.

Not Thai/Chinese but tonight I'm making some Japanese Yakisoba (easy as!) and on my next resistance training day going to have a crack at making healthy version of pork buns (except with chicken).
  • pursuitOFhappiness11
    Options
    Try stir frying some veggies with curry in it! I think that's a major factor that should help satiate your craving.
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the mood for Chinese, I will make some chicken tenders following the "Hungry Girl" recipe for "Planet Hollywood Chicken" then chop it up over about 1/2 cup of basmati rice, 1 cup of broccoli and drizzle with a couple tablespoons of the panda express orange sauce and soy sauce, very very good.