Why all the water?

Options
I keep hearing that I should be drinking lots of water. Can anyone explain that to me? I usually limit my fluid intake so I am not headed to the bathroom all the time.
Thanks

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    There are as many opinions about how much water to drink as there are people on this site. Many subscribe to the 8 glasses a day, or more, though I've read recent studies that suggest that isn't necessary.

I subscribe to the practice of drinking when I'm thirsty. Some days that means 8 or more glasses of water, and other days that might be three or four. I also haven't found any correlation between water consumption and rate of weight loss.
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that, especially when working out or in hot weather, if you wait until you feel thirsty you are already on the verge of dehydration. The human body is something like 70 percent water, or is it 80? Anyway, if you get even a little low it severely affects the way your body reacts to things like heat (less water to sweat which cools the body). I'm sticking to the 8 glasses a day minimum and drink more when I've worked out. I may make a few more trips to the restroom, but feel that's better than a few more trips to the doctor.
  • promiseskept
    Options
    •Initial weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration.
    •The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.
    •Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.
    •Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.
    •Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising.
    •A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.
    •Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.
  • crisdi1981
    Options
    I usually drink 6 bottles of water a day. Water will suppress your appetite. When I get the urge to eat something that I shouldn't, I will drink a bottle of water. It usually holds me over until I can have healthy snack or meal time. Water also carries nutrients through out our body. There is lots of benefits of drinking water. However, everyones water intake is different depending on weight.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink water all day. Before MFP (and now) I never felt thirsty or if I did feel thirsty I thought I was hungry so I would eat something. I still dont know the difference; short of stomach growling signs. As a result of that I keep a 32 oz water bottle at my side at all times. I truly believe that it has helped me lose lbs. (25 total, 11 on MFP)

The first week you will go to the bathroom often. Thats a good thing. After a week I stopped going that often even though I was still drinking a lot of water. Also, as TMI as this may be do the urine test.

"If you're not sure about your hydration level, look at your urine. If it's clear, you're in good shape. If it's dark, you're probably dehydrated."

I also drink water b/c it helps if I go too high on my sodium level. I dont get muscle cramps and headaches nearly as often as before. Think about it. Your body is something like 90% water. You need to replenish what is lost through normal activity.

Here's a few sites:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

http://www.mangosteen-natural-remedies.com/benefits-of-drinking-water.html

http://www.shapefit.com/water-benefits.html
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 6 bottles of water a day. Water will suppress your appetite. When I get the urge to eat something that I shouldn't, I will drink a bottle of water. It usually holds me over until I can have healthy snack or meal time. Water also carries nutrients through out our body. There is lots of benefits of drinking water. However, everyones water intake is different depending on weight.

^^^ - This. I have always been a HUGE fan of water. Much healthier than sodas, sports drinks, etc. And per rushing to the restroom often, that is only for the first week or so...after that your body can handle the water intake. I typically drink 7-10 16oz bottles of water per day, my wife drinks 3. To be honest, our bathroom visits are about the same (if anything she goes more frequent than I).

Cheers!
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    One of the important things about getting enough fluids is that, as the fat is flushed out of your cells, it has to GO somewhere before you can weigh less. As long as it's still in your body, it's still on the scale. Water helps to flush all of that stuff out of your body, along with all kinds of other toxins your body creates during the digestion process, etc.
    The most recent research suggests that you need 1/3 oz of water per pound of body weight per day if you're sedentary, more if you are more active, up to 2/3 oz per pound per day. More than that is a bonus, but unless you're sweating heavily and not eating much (thereby losing electrolytes), it's really difficult to drink too much water.
    You may find, as you drink more, that you come to enjoy it more too. I certainly did. I used to have trouble drinking a quart, and now I'm miserable if I haven't had at least three!
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    See, as many people on MFP as there are opinions about water.

Read this for a contrarian view to the 8 glasses a day theory:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20110715/water-drink-advice-mccartney-110717/
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    being a steelworker, we go through tons of training for heat related illnesses...water is king in all weight loss/activity related lifestyle.

when i was training new hires here at the mill, i always told them that if they drink at least one cup every 15min. they would never throw up....the heat in here usually makes everyone throw up at least once.
  • VELVET2688
    Options
    does it have to be pure water or can you drink (weak watered down) hot or cold tea?:drinker: :drinker: