Type 2 diabetic wanting to bring A1c down from 7.0

Options
Hello_Gucci
Hello_Gucci Posts: 9 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Just looking for people thats in the same boat or similar. ☺️ some tips and guidelines. This is still fairly new to me TIA!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Log your food accurately. Stay in a calorie deficit. Be patient. It'll happen.
  • Hello_Gucci
    Options
    If anything i was losing weight, i am back to 125 lbs but trying to maintain and eat the right meals is difficult
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    The low carb answer is great, and very low carbs should provide an immediate result (short term). Meanwhile, low carb and a calorie deficit can help you lose body fat, which is what you need long term.

There may be a confounding factor for eating low carb... Are you on taking insulin? If yes, what kind(s), when do you take, and what is the dosing structure?
  • Hello_Gucci
    Options
    No insulin, pretty much diagnosed last year, on met. i had my A1c down to 6.6 than it jumped up after the holidays just in time for a doctor appt.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    If anything i was losing weight, i am back to 125 lbs but trying to maintain and eat the right meals is difficult

The 3 key factors for lowering A1C are; lower carbs (possible even keto depending on how you respond), weight loss and vigorous exercise. I never got to full blown T2D but I reversed prediabetes using this strategy recommended by my doctor.

You look tiny by your profile pic. You have type 2? Does diabetes run in your family?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Lose about 25 lbs and start exercising 3x week. That worked for me in just a couple of months.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No insulin, pretty much diagnosed last year, on met. i had my A1c down to 6.6 than it jumped up after the holidays just in time for a doctor appt.

A1c does not swing dramatically as the result of a holiday. The purpose of A1c is that is measures your average glucose level over the past 90 days. That's why it's preferred over a regular blood glucose test.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »

The 3 key factors for lowering A1C are; lower carbs (possible even keto depending on how you respond), weight loss and vigorous exercise. I never got to full blown T2D but I reversed prediabetes using this strategy recommended by my doctor.

You look tiny by your profile pic. You have type 2? Does diabetes run in your family?

Thanks! Lol, I don't think I've ever been described as tiny before. I am 5'9" and 187 at present and I am broad shouldered. I have lost almost 30lbs over the last couple of years and gone from just under an obese BMI to a normal BMI based on the Smart BMI Calculator. I have also reshaped my body through exercise. My BF% is in the low 20s. My goal is to lose another 10 lbs of predominately fat.

I don't have T2D. It does run in my family. I was pre-diabetic with elevated A1C and poor triglyceride numbers. Weight loss, exercise and moderation of carbs has brought me into a very good A1C range and good BG range. So, at age 66, I'm doing well.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For a good low carb plan meant for diabetics try the book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. The book is about how to bring down BG using mainly diet.
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Accurately log what you eat and take your regular blood sugar readings. Your blood sugar needs to be maintained within 120-80.

You need to talk to your physician about this. They will be happy that you are making the effort, but you might also need guidance on how often and when to test your blood sugar. If needed, you may need a script for new strips. You may also need to have your medication adjusted as insulin sensitivity may return. Update all the people you are with about the signs of hypoglycemia and keep some fast sugar on hand.

Your A1c did not jump up from one or two cheats during the holiday. Just keep in mind that every time you spike your blood sugar for something tasty (but you know you shouldn’t have), you are doing irreversible damage to nerves and blood vessels. I see too many diabetics act surprised when they hear their kidneys are already in stage 3 or greater failure. The effects of running high blood sugar are slow and insidious.
  • CharlesS6730
    CharlesS6730 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

My A1C was 11% in December. I started Whole 30 on January 1st and have lost 20lbs already. I get tested in a few weeks again so we shall see.

You can do it. My wife and I now meal prep with healthy foods and proper portions. Just keep at it!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited January 2018
    Options

Then I stand with the suggestion to eat low carb for now and try to lose some excess fat.

Have you had a gad test or a c-peptide test? If not, from what I'm seeing/hearing, I definitely suggest asking your physician. This is to make sure the type 2 diagnosis is correct, as some of what I'm seeing appears as though you may have LADA / Type 1 with a slow onset.

ETA: If your gad test comes back and you find that you have LADA (i.e. adult-onset Type 1), then the long-term part is going to change quite a bit. The short-term answer to eat low carb helps either way.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Doc told me mine was 6.5 last August. 6.5 is the threshold for T2D diagnosis. Down to 6.2 in November. Next test is 2½ weeks and expect it to be below 6.0.
    lorrpb wrote: »
    A1c does not swing dramatically as the result of a holiday. The purpose of A1c is that is measures your average glucose level over the past 90 days. That's why it's preferred over a regular blood glucose test.
    Read about this yesterday. Don't remember exactly where but the gist was that although A1C tests cover 90 days the more recent history is more heavily weighted. Reason has to do the 3-month life cycle of red blood cells. In other words most of the cells living 90 days ago are dead and gone. With each successive month a higher number of cells survive. So your next test, probably late March or early April, all those cells that partied hearty during the holidays will be gone and blood glucose in March will have more effect on A1C test than blood glucose in January.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Doc told me mine was 6.5 last August. 6.5 is the threshold for T2D diagnosis. Down to 6.2 in November. Next test is 2½ weeks and expect it to be below 6.0.
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Read about this yesterday. Don't remember exactly where but the gist was that although A1C tests cover 90 days the more recent history is more heavily weighted. Reason has to do the 3-month life cycle of red blood cells. In other words most of the cells living 90 days ago are dead and gone. With each successive month a higher number of cells survive. So your next test, probably late March or early April, all those cells that partied hearty during the holidays will be gone and blood glucose in March will have more effect on A1C test than blood glucose in January.

Yes, this is true. I recall reading a study a couple years back (I did not note the doi or author/title) that found the prior 7 days could have as much as 50% of the impact.
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Been there and I have my A1C down to 5.3 now. It's what you eat and how often. Mix in a controlled calorie diet and if you need to lose weight that will happen to if you follow it. It all helps there is no one isolated solution. Your A1C reading also has a lot to do with your risks if you are recovering from something. The higher your A1C the harder it is for wounds to recover etc. If you don't want to spend a lifetime on medications that over time doesn't maintain your numbers and get increased as you gradual decline naturally with age have your physician set you up with a specialized diebetic nutritionist. It's worth the few meetings to get a grasp and good understanding what your trying to do and how your trying to keep your sugar level rather even and not massive spikes.

I ate six meals a day, I didn't do massive carb reduction but I kept my carbs within a range I could eat and not turn everything to sugar. My carbs I did get were the slow acting carbs so exchanging white bread and crackers for whole wheat is helpful. I substituted cauliflower recipes for potates. Vegetable based pastas instead of regular. Meats, low calories vegetables and controlled fruits so my sugar wasn't constantly being tagged. I didn't drink my calories. I reduced my calories enough to lose weight, to change to a healthier eating style and to evade the things that makes your sugar spike. Whatever changes you do be realistic with what you can live with and how your life style is. There are only so many things you can change at one time and still feel like your functioning normal. Make a change stick with it trust me after a while it becomes your normal routine. Those foods that just weren't as great when you started will in time be what you want to taste and other foods will not be good to you. It is about letting your mind and body do it long enough to adjust.

Exercise and yea only some love that! I was told when I started find something you enjoy so you will stick to it no matter how little it is. I started with hand exercises and worked up to dancersize in my home. Yes now I go to the gym but it took a long time before I wanted to go. Wanting something is more successful than making yourself do it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just looking for people thats in the same boat or similar. ☺️ some tips and guidelines. This is still fairly new to me TIA!

@Hello_Gucci
    Welcome to MFP Great to have you join us! :smiley:

Here's a really informative, friendly T2 group (type 2 diabetic) that covers a lot on T2, you might like to check out. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    :)

Thanks! Lol, I don't think I've ever been described as tiny before. I am 5'9" and 187 at present and I am broad shouldered. I have lost almost 30lbs over the last couple of years and gone from just under an obese BMI to a normal BMI based on the Smart BMI Calculator. I have also reshaped my body through exercise. My BF% is in the low 20s. My goal is to lose another 10 lbs of predominately fat.

I don't have T2D. It does run in my family. I was pre-diabetic with elevated A1C and poor triglyceride numbers. Weight loss, exercise and moderation of carbs has brought me into a very good A1C range and good BG range. So, at age 66, I'm doing well.

So sorry Pags was meant to refer to Gucci....but....yes you are tiny. When you said you are 66...I thought...Wow Gucci looks great for a 66yo! Being a 60yo I was getting ready to ask you what your youthful secret was...LOL!!