Going round in circles :(

Options
Hi everyone. So...im stuck in what my gp calls a vicious circle when it comes to trying to lose weight. Im at a dangerous weight, it needs to come off but i lose motivation so fast due to my mental health issues. I honestly have no nice clothes that fit me anymore due to excessive gains and its making me feel worse than ever. Has anyone else felt this way? Any advice for me? Id really appreciate any tips.
Also feel free to add me, if you like x

Replies

• wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    do you really want this ? I ask because I spent years loosing a couple lbs then gaining it back plus extra last may I finally had enough of how I looked and felt . found this site and started logging . once I realized how over sized my portions were and cut back portions added fiber and made getting healthy a priority the weight started coming off. BUT You have to really be ready . you have to make keeping yourself stocked and fed with healthy low calorie high fiber foods a priority . this is not hard if you prepare yourself with healthy low cal foods that you like the taste of . if you do not properly stock the pantry you will have a hard time fighting cravings . the easiest way to prevent binge eating is to eat enough fiber that your never dealing with a starving tummy . I have 1-2 fiber drinks a day along with lots of vegetable rich soups and raw and cooked vegetables so there is always something I can have that will satisfy me with out being a poor food choice . I am now down 39.5 lbs and I am more than half way to my goal .
    You can do this if you are ready .
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    When you try to lose weight and you loose motivation how do you start the weightloss journey?
    If it is a case of a total overhaul and changing everything around that may be one of the reasons why it gets hard pretty darn quickly?
    Has there been an approach you havent't tried yet? The small babysteps without denying yourself those things in life you do enjoy? For instance start by simply logging without judgement. Be kind just learn. Make a small change that you can oversee. For instance If I can make it a week without any sweets I am allowed something special that you really like that is not food (for me that would be a facial, or a bunch of flowers something like that.
    Join a healthy cooking class and contact them ahead of time so they know what your goals are.
    Pick up a hobby that is soothing and keeps the hands busy (I took up kitting, sewing and embroidery)
    Give yourself time, the weight did not all at once cling to you. It took years to develop and build potentially not-healthy habits, why expect to change it back quickly? I allowed myself 3 years to get rid of most of my weight. Got to my base goal (Healthy BMI) after 2,5, but my new goal (BMI 22) took 3,5 years.

These are some ideas that helped me to get started.
  • CrabbyPotato
    CrabbyPotato Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All the things everyone said. Find some clothes that fit NOW that you like/love that are you and your personality!!! Be you! When and if your ready for the rest it will happen so please be patient and kind with yourself :)
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to be wearing clothes that don't fit. I finally bought some clothes in my largest size and promised myself I wouldn't be wearing them for long anyway. Do yourself a favour and get some cheap clothes to wear that fit you now and work towards no longer needing them.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I had a very difficult time losing weight until I got my anxiety under control. It’s easy to want to fix everything in your life all at once, but that’s also a great recipe for becoming overwhelmed and giving up on everything. Pick a goal and focus on that for a while. As others have mentioned, small successes can snowball into big change if you give it time. You can do this!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Don’t think of it as losing weight right now. Your mental health should be top priority, because you can’t expect to get anything done until you are at a point that depression doesn’t dictate your daily activities. In case you aren’t already, I would first advocate that you talk to a professional in mental health. Not just a generic doctor.

With that being said, think of how you can improve this piece first. Grab a friend and go out for a short walk, walk a dog or ask to walk someone else’s, hell, I even resorted to pacing in my apartment just to get some exercise when I first started. Getting up and moving will naturally produce endorphins. It won’t fix things, but it can help improve the situation.

Then start thinking about your diet once you’ve reached a level that you are able to adhere to small changes. Don’t go all in immediately. Start by possibly just logging without changing a thing to give yourself a baseline. Then start looking how you can reduce in certain areas. Three servings of chips? Try to reduce it to two and so on.

As a bipolar sufferer myself, I know how weight loss can be the last thing on your mind when even the simple daily tasks like taking a shower or brushing your teeth feel overwhelming. Just start small and focus on your mental health, and the rest can fall into place.