Anyone else get Keto rash??? what do you do??!!!

Options
itecson
itecson Posts: 22 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Every time I start a low carb diet I start developing this weird rash on my neck and then on my chest, it's not hugely noticeable unless I get my carbs down to 20g/day (the recommended for ketosis). Does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It's not common but it does happen.

Many find that waiting it out for 2-3 weeks will result in it going away. Some find more water and greater sodium helps a bit too.

If increasing carbs helps, perhaps just do that. A ketogenic diet is one where you are ketogenic the vast majority of the time. The body uses 50-150g of glucose a day (depending on if you are keto/fat-adapted or not). Most people would test as ketogenic with upwards of 50g of carbs a day unless they are metabolically unhealthy/have insulin resistance. I've known athletes who ate closer to 200g of carbs a day, timing the carbs around long endurance events, and they stayed ketogenic. Many folks feel better at 20g of carbs, but there is no real need to keep it that low if you feel better at a higher level.

Good luck.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    This is the second post I have read this morning about problems occurring while on this "diet". What are the benefits of doing it (vs regular ol' CICO) if there are such bad reactions? I am asking out of curiosity.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it, so it must be common enough. I'm sure one of the low carb/keto groups on MFP would have more information. My personal take on the more restrictive diets (such as keto) is that if it works for you and you don't have any weird side effects, great. Even better if it works for you in a way that you can sustain it very long term, since ultimately that is what we are all trying to achieve - weight loss followed by a lifetime of maintenance. If you experience negative side effects, is the diet worth it and will you be able to stick with it potentially forever? Just my two cents because if I was getting a rash, I'd stop the low carb diets.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The last several people on this board who had it, only got rid of it when they increased their carbs. If you want to stay keto, try to bump up to 40g for a bit to see if that helps. You will still be able to be in ketosis at those levels.

And 20g isn't the recommend for ketosis. There is a range; pretty much less than 50g if you are following the standard modified keto diet.
  • dexter62
    dexter62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For me the benefits far out weight the discomfort, I to have a rash every couple days, usually a hot soapy shower, then some fragrance free lotion stops the itch , the greatest thing ive found with this way of eating is, the freedom from food cravings, without the sugar always calling my name I can make good decisions with my eating practices, I'm a couple pounds lighter again this morning, how cool is that. I think I can stay on this the rest of my days, of course interimitent fasting is as important as the keto to me. Thanks Dave
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There's a whole site dedicated to it - http://theketorash.com/
  • iiovelife
    iiovelife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    increase your carbs slightly, until it goes away... You can stay in ketosis above 20 it varies by person, I stay in ketosis in the 30-40 range but I try to stay under 20-25 net carbs
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    There's a whole site dedicated to it - http://theketorash.com/

I came in here to post that very link. :lol:
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    OP, to get and keep your body in ketosis you want 5-10% of your calories coming from carbs. That means subtract fiber grams from your total carbs (because fiber isn’t digestible), multiply the result by 4 (carbs have 4 kcal/g) and compare that number to your total calories.

I can virtually guarantee that formula will allow you more than 20g—probably a lot more. If you’re eating 1200 kcal/day, you can net up to 30g, for example, and if you eat 2000 calories in a day you can go to 50. Pair high-fiber foods with high-calorie ones to keep the balance.

I don’t know anything about an associated rash, but I’m sure you’re not helping it by being even more restrictive than an already-restrictive diet calls for.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If a particular eating regime gives you a rash every time you follow it that may not be the best diet for you.