Walking made simple

Options
How Many Calories We Burn While Walking

This depends on two factors and those are your body weight and the walking area. If you walk for an hour, you will burn 400 calories if the average speed of your walking is 4 miles per hour. If you want to burn 100 calories, you will have to walk 2,000 steps or walk a mile. To lose a pound, you have to burn 3,500 calories. If you want to avoid the yo-yo effect, the best option would be to lose a pound per week or burn 500 calories a day, or 5 miles daily.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    The what now?

+1
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I do 4 miles (outside rain or shine) every morning in just under an hour, according to AW, it’s closer to 275 cals.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    tlarue2016 wrote: »

Per mile, is bodyweight in pounds ÷ 3
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,147 Member
    Options
    You forget one factor in your calories burned equation - weight.

100 cals/mile is the rule of thumb for a 180lb person. 65 cals/mile for a 120lb person. At 206lbs, I burn about 120cals/mile.

And I burn less than 35 calories/mile. Barely a slice of 40 calorie bread :'(
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I sync Map My Walk with MFP and then don't need to worry about it. I don't burn as much as I'd like per mile, but it's an easy exercise that I enjoy and one that I never have to worry about how to log. I walk at about a 17 min/mile pace right now since half the sidewalks are slippery with snow, but in the summer I average closer to 16 min/mile or about 3.7 mph.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've found this formula to be very accurate for me, Weight in pounds X .3 X miles.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options

This depends on two factors and those are your body weight and the walking area. If you walk for an hour, you will burn 400 calories if the average speed of your walking is 4 miles per hour. If you want to burn 100 calories, you will have to walk 2,000 steps or walk a mile. To lose a pound, you have to burn 3,500 calories. If you want to avoid the yo-yo effect, the best option would be to lose a pound per week or burn 500 calories a day, or 5 miles daily.

Personally, I burn approx. 200 calories per hour walking 5 km/hour (3 mph).

4 mph is fast ... I've done it on the odd occasion, but only when I've been walking a lot and built up to it ... but highly unlikely you're burning 400 calories by upping the speed slightly like that. The 275 cal/hour someone else mentioned is much more realistic.

Also ... we burn calories just living our lives. I can get that 500 calorie deficit by eating 250 cal less than maintenance and going for a 1 hour and 15 min walk at 5 km/h. :grin:
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Honey I weigh 107 lbs. Even running much faster than 4 mph isn't going to get me a 400 calorie burn. You really need to rethink this post.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    I weigh 158# and NEVER walk or hike faster than an ave of 2.5 mph.

On my last hike over relatively flat terrain, I burned about 1600 cals in 4 hrs covering 9.75 miles.

On an earlier hike over very steep terrain w/inclines of 10-15 degrees, I burned about 1800 cals in 3 hrs covering 7.0 miles.

I use the following online calucator to estimate the cals burned, which takes into account your body wt, pack weight, time, distance, type of terrain and degree of slope.

https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-hiking/

I find it very accurate for this purpose.

• TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I thought walking WAS simple!

Everyday is a school day on MFP.

Just wondering what is this yo-yo effect that you refer to. HIt me up with the knowledge.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mmmm whatever
  • Theham2016
    Theham2016 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

4 miles an hour? Have you tested this on a treadmill? It took me a few months to build up to 4 miles per hour on a treadmill (a flat, even surface). But if my preferred method is walking outdoors, no way do I trust myself to walk that fast on an uneven surface. Maybe someone with longer legs can do this easily (I'm 5'5").

This was just information I shared off a fitness sight in an effort to share info for people might be curious. There are always variables when it comes to burning calories.
  • Theham2016
    Options

100 cals/mile is the rule of thumb for a 180lb person. 65 cals/mile for a 120lb person. At 206lbs, I burn about 120cals/mile.

This was just information I shared off a fitness sight in an effort to share info for people might be curious. There are always variables when it comes to burning calories.
  • Theham2016
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

And I burn less than 35 calories/mile. Barely a slice of 40 calorie bread :'(
  • Theham2016
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Honey I weigh 107 lbs. Even running much faster than 4 mph isn't going to get me a 400 calorie burn. You really need to rethink this post.

Please don't be rude.