So what is your opinion about my log so far?

Options
okohjacinda
okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss

n1j8p75tnqm1.png

Replies

• okohjacinda
    Options
    Why do you care what others think?

Because I have done this so many times and I just want to know if I am on the right track. I want this time to be my final starting point for weight loss.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    My Opinion is, where is the food log to accompany it, All the exercise in the world wont save you from a bad diet.

Sorry I didn't put it down yet, but it is mostly plant-based diet. I only ate out on my b-day and it was a Red Robin vegan burger and I put vegan cheese and mayo on it and made some homemade fries. I also had two lenny's and larry's cookies which is why the cal content was so high on 1/8/2018.

For the most part its low-fat, high fiber. I will put it down eventually. But yeah staying away from fast food, hfcs, and saturated fat as much as possible. Its probably why I lost so fast in the beginning.

Good stuff, Just don't be scared to have fast food ever again, just be conscious of how much and what you pick. That way when you are either out with friends, in a time crunch or have no other options you wont panic and feel like you gave up. Nothing wrong with it in moderation within your calorie goals.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion...

You've said that you've tried to lose weight before and failed. My question is... are you "plant based" for ethical reasons or reasons beyond "weight loss"? Do you have the real underlying motivation to STAY plant based forever (like a severe moral objection/allergy/illness)?

I really think that it's all about calorie balance and what you eat to get there is up to you. I think it's best to stick to a diet that is both enjoyable and sustainable LONG TERM. This will sound harsh, but, if this isn't that diet, who cares that you lost 13 pounds in a month?

I am vegetarian and have been for my ENTIRE life. Every time i've ever gone vegan (which for me only involves cutting out cheese and yogurt) i've failed with the first 3 months. Even with strong moral objection, even with the will power and discipline, even with the "vegan options", and even with the support of friends and family. This isn't because i'm "weak" and just "didn't try hard enough" either.

Now, to be honest, i don't eat these foods every day but i have come to terms with the fact that by choosing a diet that i simply cannot stick to I am setting myself up for failure. Any success i have on said diet will ultimately reverse when i go back to my most preferred type of eating.

I am sure that you are doing fine on your diet itself, afterall you're seeing a significant downward trend on the scale. I would say that your calorie deficit may be a smidge too high based on your current body weight, but that's entirely up to you.
  • sedj241
    sedj241 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think your idea to keep a journal is great! I think that you're calorie intake for the day is way to low. Your body will adjust to eating 1000 calories day and then your weight lost will stop or slow down to the point where you don't know the difference. I would suggest figuring out what your calorie count is for your current height and weight and subtract from that. Other than that it looks like you're on the right track! Good luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
  • okohjacinda
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Here's my opinion...

You've said that you've tried to lose weight before and failed. My question is... are you "plant based" for ethical reasons or reasons beyond "weight loss"? Do you have the real underlying motivation to STAY plant based forever (like a severe moral objection/allergy/illness)?

I really think that it's all about calorie balance and what you eat to get there is up to you. I think it's best to stick to a diet that is both enjoyable and sustainable LONG TERM. This will sound harsh, but, if this isn't that diet, who cares that you lost 13 pounds in a month?

I am vegetarian and have been for my ENTIRE life. Every time i've ever gone vegan (which for me only involves cutting out cheese and yogurt) i've failed with the first 3 months. Even with strong moral objection, even with the will power and discipline, even with the "vegan options", and even with the support of friends and family. This isn't because i'm "weak" and just "didn't try hard enough" either.

Now, to be honest, i don't eat these foods every day but i have come to terms with the fact that by choosing a diet that i simply cannot stick to I am setting myself up for failure. Any success i have on said diet will ultimately reverse when i go back to my most preferred type of eating.

I am sure that you are doing fine on your diet itself, afterall you're seeing a significant downward trend on the scale. I would say that your calorie deficit may be a smidge too high based on your current body weight, but that's entirely up to you.

Thanks for the advice and while I agree you definitely have to do a diet that you can stick to for life or else it won't stick, I do believe in this lifestyle for me.

I mean everything I love I can still eat if I want it...cake (vegan of course)...ice cream...cookies, burgers...fries etc. So I am not missing out on anything, in fact I used to have to force myself to eat eggs and fish and milk (it was always kinda yucky tasting to me.) My biggest thing was giving up cheese but they have that in a vegan alternative that I actually think tastes pretty good.

My reason for going plant based is for my health first ethics second (although watching a lot of docs has made me more ethically inclined to be vegan). I did blood work on Jan. 1st and it wasn't very good (high ldl levels, blood pressure high, and resting heart rate was high). I know this for me will be the easiest way to eliminate high fat, high refined sugary foods.

I also have been having bad acid reflux and really bad headaches but since I went plant-based, I haven't had one acid reflux episode and my headaches have diminished. So I know that this lifestyle for my body is the best route and I am willing to stick it out because I know it will keep me from going back on the fast food trail. Its so much harder eating out when you're plant-based esp. down south.

Oh and the reason why I have low cals as of right now is because I need to get my blood pressure down asap and I am not as active as I was over the summer. I know losing at least 5% of my body fat will help with the headaches and lowering my blood pressure. Eventually I am going to be around 1300-1400/day especially when I am way more active.
  • okohjacinda
    Options
    My Opinion is, where is the food log to accompany it, All the exercise in the world wont save you from a bad diet.

Sorry I didn't put it down yet, but it is mostly plant-based diet. I only ate out on my b-day and it was a Red Robin vegan burger and I put vegan cheese and mayo on it and made some homemade fries. I also had two lenny's and larry's cookies which is why the cal content was so high on 1/8/2018.

For the most part its low-fat, high fiber. I will put it down eventually. But yeah staying away from fast food, hfcs, and saturated fat as much as possible. Its probably why I lost so fast in the beginning.

Good stuff, Just don't be scared to have fast food ever again, just be conscious of how much and what you pick. That way when you are either out with friends, in a time crunch or have no other options you wont panic and feel like you gave up. Nothing wrong with it in moderation within your calorie goals.

Yeah the problem with being plant-based and eating out is that you don't know how your food is being prepared. They can say "vegan" but they could be frying it on the same grill as non-vegan items. But I am trying to get used to not eating out so much because I have high blood pressure and a high ldl right now.

Eventually I will eat out every now and then but I just want to stay away from it for awhile until my health improves a bit.
  • okohjacinda
    Options
    sedj241 wrote: »
    I think your idea to keep a journal is great! I think that you're calorie intake for the day is way to low. Your body will adjust to eating 1000 calories day and then your weight lost will stop or slow down to the point where you don't know the difference. I would suggest figuring out what your calorie count is for your current height and weight and subtract from that. Other than that it looks like you're on the right track! Good luck!

Yeah I know but when I got my blood work back I was kinda freaked out so I just decided to try my hardest to lose at least 10lbs in the first couple of weeks because the sooner the weight comes off the lower my points will be.

But now that I am 15lbs down I am going to start calorie cycling where I eat 1100-1200 during the weekdays but up my cals on weekends to about 1500-1800, that way my body won't feel like its being deprived.

Thanks for the advice though!
  • okohjacinda
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Your deficit is too large.
    You are setting yourself up for failure because of that.

Your BMR is around 1850.

There is no conceivable setup where eating your BMR is not at least a 20% deficit. And, even when obese a 25% deficit is just about the most you should be aiming for...

A 25% deficit would have you eating more than 2K calories a day and losing at a slightly lower; but, much more sustainable, rate!

I love your spreadsheet idea by the way!

In the beginning of the month, I deliberately set my cals that low so that I could lose the initial 5% body weight because my health hasn't been the best as of late with extremely bad headaches, acid reflux, and high blood pressure, but I am now going to start calorie cycling where I eat lower (1200-1300) mon-thurs but up my cals fri-sun to at least 1800-2200 or higher so I won't set myself up for failure.

Thanks for this though! I didn't know exactly where my BMR was. I thought it was a bit lower than that which is why I aimed lower but I will try not to eat that low for the rest of my journey if I can help it. Some days are busy days where I don't have a lot of time to prepare my food, so I end up with lower cals during the weekdays anyways but I am going to try meal prepping next month.

And yeah thanks! I actually got the idea from someone on here in the success section and I thought this would totally help with seeing what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Here's my opinion...

I mean everything I love I can still eat if I want it...cake (vegan of course)...ice cream...cookies, burgers...fries etc. So I am not missing out on anything, in fact I used to have to force myself to eat eggs and fish and milk (it was always kinda yucky tasting to me.) My biggest thing was giving up cheese but they have that in a vegan alternative that I actually think tastes pretty good.

My reason for going plant based is for my health first ethics second (although watching a lot of docs has made me more ethically inclined to be vegan). I did blood work on Jan. 1st and it wasn't very good (high ldl levels, blood pressure high, and resting heart rate was high). I know this for me will be the easiest way to eliminate high fat, high refined sugary foods.
    The two bolded statements feel potentially really contradictory to me. As you’ve pointed out, lots of high-fat/high-sugar foods are vegan or can be made vegan. Some of my favorite things in the world (avocado, nut butters and dried fruit) are both vegan and highly calorie dense. Just eliminating animal products doesn’t automatically reduce high-calorie foods; just because a food is vegan doesn’t automatically mean it’s “healthy.” In fact, by eliminating your options, it can sometimes force you into choosing higher-calorie foods.

Here’s a good example: I’m vegetarian, not vegan, and when I go out to eat I can have a really hard time finding foods that are high-protein, lower-calorie and non-meat. If I find high-protein and non-meat, it almost certainly means that it has a lot of cheese and is going to blow my calorie target out of the water. By narrowing my options, it makes it harder for me to achieve all three goals.
  • okohjacinda
    edited January 2018
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    The two bolded statements feel potentially really contradictory to me. As you’ve pointed out, lots of high-fat/high-sugar foods are vegan or can be made vegan. Some of my favorite things in the world (avocado, nut butters and dried fruit) are both vegan and highly calorie dense. Just eliminating animal products doesn’t automatically reduce high-calorie foods; just because a food is vegan doesn’t automatically mean it’s “healthy.” In fact, by eliminating your options, it can sometimes force you into choosing higher-calorie foods.

Here’s a good example: I’m vegetarian, not vegan, and when I go out to eat I can have a really hard time finding foods that are high-protein, lower-calorie and non-meat. If I find high-protein and non-meat, it almost certainly means that it has a lot of cheese and is going to blow my calorie target out of the water. By narrowing my options, it makes it harder for me to achieve all three goals.

I get what you are saying and the reason why I chose to transition into a vegan versus a vegetarian is because I truthfully have never really cared for milk and eggs and I am learning that with cheese I can really do without. I haven't put vegan cheese on my vegan patties except on my b-day. Cake and ice cream...I'm not going to lie I still crave very much, but I know it will always be there where before when I was just cutting it back, it didn't seem to click for me that it would always be there. I felt like I had to have that stuff all the time, whereas now I feel like if I am really at wits end and I need to have some cake, I will go out and find a bakery that makes vegan cakes or make one myself, but I don't.

I made this choice because I knew it would be the less traveled one (in my environment) and the most challenging one and I feel in the end will be the most rewarding lifestyle change for me. I am a very spiritual person and I believe in certain things and that has a lot to do with my choice to go vegan as well as for health and ethical reasons.

Also researching will help a lot. When you go out, many restaurants will have beans on the menu, just ask them to put beans in your salad or without (and there's your protein). For me I can put beans, a bunch of spinach, and tofu and I probably will hit my protein goal with all of that. It's really not that hard to get protein in your diet as a vegan.

What's hard is B12 and vitamin D...but you can take a supplement for B12 and vitamin D just go outside and walk in the sun (I live in SC so that's super easy to do year round).

Being vegan is only as hard as people make it out to be.

Someone told me something that really clicked for me. Looking for what I can't get out of a lifestyle is the wrong approach. Looking for what I can add into my lifestyle is the right approach. Since going plant-based, I have added so many new things into my diet and learning about so many new things I can eat that I had no idea was food. So its making it so much easier to not feel like I am missing out on anything because I have so much to try.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I that’s the way you like to see data, go for it. But everything you have here can be logged in MFP. I like keeping everything in one place, so I use the food and exercise note features.
  • okohjacinda
    edited January 2018
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I that’s the way you like to see data, go for it. But everything you have here can be logged in MFP. I like keeping everything in one place, so I use the food and exercise note features.

Yeah I know and I love mfp's report section, but I like doing it on excel too. It makes me feel like I can see the results better even though it's the same thing kinda...lol im just weird i guess.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    My opinion, based on your rate of weight loss, is that unless you weigh 400 lbs, you're not eating enough.