Meal Prep?

Options
Hello Everyone!
I am wanting to start meal prepping but wanted to know a little more about it.

•What are some essentials for meal prepping (containers, organizers, etc..)

•What are some great high calorie foods/recipes I can use to meal prep?

•How do you meal prep/what are some helpful tips for me?

Replies

• squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    We just started this a few weeks ago. My biggest tip, keep it simple. Doing too many weird things just takes way too much time. I like variety but I stick to simplicity with small changes. For example, I eat salad 3 to 4 times a week for lunch but vary the meat from steak to chicken to salmon etc. I also bought a pack of fitpacker containers that work nicely. Amazon for the win. They are single compartment and hold up very well in reheating and washing. The lids can be tough to remove but that helps it stay closed in my bag.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't prep exactly, but I do plan. I sit down and figure out 3 meals to make during the week that covers lunch and dinners for the work week. I also plan out snacks (and if they're packable, pack them for the week).

I keep a slight theme for our meals. I like to cook an ethnic meal, a vegetable-focus meal, and one open meal.

I usually cook that night's meal, and use square tupperwares to pack the rest of the servings (either 2-4 extra servings) that will be eaten for lunch and dinner during the week. Pinterest is my go-to for finding recipes and we've had a lot of success.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i started using platejoy.com for planning and decided it was worth paying for after the free trial was over
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Anything that can be done in bulk. Right now I have a whole chicken roasting in the oven, that'll be for dinner, a soup and wraps. There's a huge slab of ground beef that'll be for tacos and a meat lasagna, maybe also for a meat pasta sauce. A roast that'll be cooked and divided up into portions, pork chops will be done the same way. There's a ham too. Going to whip up a potato soup in the crockpot tomorrow. Veggies will be chopped and stored in mason jars, lettuce will be washed and stored the same. Bought a tub of salted sunflower seeds which has been measured and put in small snack containers, did some almonds too (a serving is not as appealing as people think! lol), even measured out servings of cereal for a quick breakfast. Buy all sorts of different sizes, snacks to full meals.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I just watched a Buzzfeed (I know, I know) video where 3-4 pals got together and did it as a group, so they got to share the work and also get a little more variety in what they bought and prepped. I think I'd do that if I could find others to go in on it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I just watched a Buzzfeed (I know, I know) video where 3-4 pals got together and did it as a group, so they got to share the work and also get a little more variety in what they bought and prepped. I think I'd do that if I could find others to go in on it.

my OCD wouldnt let me do it lololol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    anyways, for me it depends on the week. *usually* i figure out what im going to be doing on friday, and do the shopping saturday. lunch is typically leftover dinner. i prep if i can, but most things are made in under 30 minutes so not a big deal if its not 'prepable' lol. anything in the crock pot i put in freezer bags to pull out in the morning.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I use a weekly planning sheet for my meal https://1drv.ms/x/s!AkN3G55LlLjJkBM-CsaqncXvwJ62 and just use normal supermarket brand tupperware type boxes for taking stuff into work or for freezing/storage.

I prep my workday lunches and one kind of crockpot/prep ahead meal on a Sunday for the week ahead.

Over the winter, my lunches are normally a mixture of homemade soups (most of my recipes make 4-6 portions) and either cold pastas or leftover crockpot meals with some microwave rice. So for example I would have Soup & Roll Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Chicken Pasta on Tuesday/Thursday. In the summer I tend to have salads/pasta/stuffed pittas. Most common meal prep recipes can be bulked up easily enough calorie wise with additional high calorie dressings/cheese/etc if you're looking to gain.

My crockpot or prep ahead meal normally makes 4-6 portions as well so I can change up with stuff I have in the freezer from previous weeks and not get bored of eating the same things. I normally make something like:
    • Thai Green Curry
    • Chicken & Mushroom Casserole
    • Saag Paneer
    • Salmon Fishcakes
    • Minted Lamb Meatballs
    • Falafel
    • Burgers
    • Marinated Beef for Stirfry

When I get in from work I can either re-heat a crockpot meal or cook off something that is already prepped in around 10-15 mins.

I also keep a snack basket for pre-weighed/portioned/packaged snacks like:
    • Nuts
    • Popcorn
    • Protein Bars
    • Protein Muffins
    • Pickles

Instagram and Pinterest have loads of great posts for recipe inspiration.

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

my OCD wouldnt let me do it lololol

saw that to, made me wish i had friends LOL its a fun weekend idea for us health nuts. Split grocery bill and get a bunch of yummy meals vs being wasteful or having to be really creative with same few ingredients or eating same stuff ( i like the same stuff though but i think thats just because its easier lol)