Keep falling off the wagon. Help?

Options
TenderBlender667
TenderBlender667 Posts: 78 Member
edited January 2018 in Motivation and Support
I've been on mfp for years and I've been in maintenance for years as well (+/- 5 pounds). Recently I've noticed that I've been giving into my urges to binge a lot more than I used to. I just binged over a week ago for 5 days straight. Then I decided to go on a 1200 calorie diet that was refined sugar free, vegan, gluten free (due to a sensitivity) and soy free for both weight loss and health purposes. It worked for 6 days until I had some sugar and became ravenous. This turned into another 3 day binge (so far). I feel disgusting physically and mentally. My stomach is all kinds of messed up thanks to the unhealthy junk I ate and I feel very guilty. I don't even want to step on the scale tomorrow. I can't even look myself in the mirror without disgust. How do I stop falling off the wagon so often? Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• Igtba789
    Igtba789 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, Happy New Year!

Question, in the years you have been on maintenance (+/-5 lbs.), did you regularly binge? If not, I'm guessing that something has changed in your life recently, to add stress. If so, then you are not alone, I have gained and lost weight all my life, overeating often. Four years ago, I joined Overeater's Anonymous. This has been a wonderful community of support.

Either way, I am here to support you and help you to be preemptive and block overeating before it takes over your mind. It's not the food that causes you to binge, it's stressful thoughts and obsessive thinking before the action.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If the binging is emotional you may just need to reduce or try to eliminate the trigger that is causing you to overeat. Sometimes simple things to keep your mind busy may do the trick. In my case I took up running. I set a goal for myself, a small goal, but I stood by it and that was really helpful. You may need to find something you like and see if that helps. Even if you find none exercises hobbies, that may help you remove your mind of eating. Another thing may have to do with your calorie intake. You seem to have the same approach that I used to have which was all or nothing. Either I did a super strict diet or I binged, nothing in between. The days I used to binge I used to tell to myself: "Today is the last day, I promise. Tomorrow diet". Off course that was a lie because after a few days I was binge eating again. Reading many posts here I found that the key to success is balance, and that has been really helpful for me. Instead of the 1200 calorie diet you may need to increase your intake, even by a small margin. Good luck to you...
  • Airforcegirl1
    Airforcegirl1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I tend to binge as well. I think i am a food narcissist. I feel I deserve to have that piece of cake, or that blueberry muffin. I only feel guilty when full. I am also on a 1200 calorie diet, while doing weight watchers at the same time. I,ve lost 4 pounds in 6 weeks. Very slow progress. I can relate to your challenges. I also had my metabolic rate tested and was told I need to keep a strict 1200 calorie diet if I do not exersize to lose weight. I have not added exersize into my routine yet. I would like to add you as a friend.
  • srclark89
    srclark89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Susan Peirce Thompson from, Bright-line eating, is a psychologist and has studied the effects of Sugar and white flour on the brain. She has struggled with her own food addiction and is inspiring to listen too. Once you understand the why you lapse, it makes it easier to avoid it. Just Google 'Brightline eating' and check it out. I got a lot out of it and I still get her weekly motivational vlogs.
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying. Don't give up ."You can do it"
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Why not try eating 1400 to 1600 calories a day. Allow yourself to eat some of the food you really like every day. I plan for a dessert or tasty snack every day that includes a "bad" food like a piece of pie or a bowl of ice cream. It just has to be within my calorie goal. Perhaps having a consistent daily treat will help you feel less deprived, and help you develop the discipline to have better portion control. I dunno. It worked for me.
  • misskitty2018
    misskitty2018 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    shake yourself off and focus! you can do this ;)
  • VolsG8rH8r
    VolsG8rH8r Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We all do it. It may be a bit much doing all that at once. Cut out/back on one bad thing every month and you'll feel better. I'm working on cutting back on Coke right now. Slowly but surely we got this!
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think you are trying to do too much at once. You are eliminating too many things from your diet: "refined sugar free, vegan, gluten free (due to a sensitivity) and soy free." Plus, eat at 1,200 calories. I would binge too. Try taking smaller steps, like eliminating one thing at a time. Then, add more things to eliminate. Also, you need to enjoy eating your recipes and food for it to be sustainable. If you don't enjoy eating your food, you will binge.
    Plus, you can exercise more in order to eat more calories. I exercise so i can eat more. I hated eating only 1,200 calories. I think it is not enough food. Good luck on your journey.