Jaw Pain

jepling532
jepling532 Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2018 in Motivation and Support
I just started a new workout regimen after taking more than a year off. After the first workout, i’m having an awful pain in my jaw that’s exaccerbated by closing my mouth. I know jaw pain is an indication of a cardiac event but I would say i’m at very low risk. I’m 27, 198 lbs, and approx 20% body fat.

Any thoughts on what I did?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Could you have pulled a muscle in your neck or shoulder? That could refer pain to your jaw.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I have zero medical knowledge but I'm wondering if you clench your jaw or grind your teeth while working out?

This is what I was going to ask. Pay attention to it during your next work out. Hopefully it’s that, something easy.
  • jepling532
    jepling532 Posts: 2 Member
    I think it’s muscular. I put pressure on the tendon near the front of my ear and it relaxes for a few minutes. Youch. More than likely clenching is the cause.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Quit clenching or go to the sporting goods to see if they have bite guards.
    All that needs to happen is you fracture your teeth from heavy biting....make yourself stop and make yourself slack jawed!
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Possibly sinus related? Is it only with exercise? Is it with all levels of exercise?