Fighting Fibro...

Options
Hello,

I'm Laurin and I'm a 20 (21 as of the 28th) year old woman living in the United States. I was first diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2015 but I was not treated because insurance refused to cover. Over the last year I've been in the hospital at least seven times. At one point my blood pressure sky-rocketed to 163/133 during the peak of my summer fibromyalgia flare up. This illness has completely over-run my life. I am finally being medically treated with Gabapentin yet I still struggle with symptoms that hinder my function. Pain, severe fatigue, confusion, etc.

The major onset of my fibromyalgia last year really triggered some negative self-image. I've struggled in the past with my body image and tried to lose weight. Since I was fourteen my average body weight stays between 175 and 180. Though this is classified overweight for my height it is extremely hard to lose the weight, my body seems to sit at this weight naturally. However, I think if I can try to lose weight I may start to feel better physically. Even if I don't lose weight my overall goal is better physical and mental health and regaining control of my life.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would be very appreciative!

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,730 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP community. :)
  • ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Susan and I also have Fibromyalgia. I used to use my stationary bike for about 45 mins a day and hate that I stopped doing it. It helped my pain a lot.
  • iluvplants
    iluvplants Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! I was also diagnosed at the age of 20. I've been learning how to manage it for over 10 years now and I've come a long way. I had to become very aware of my body to understand when/how a flare up was triggered so that I could avoid it (but there are some you just can't avoid and knowing it's coming helps a lot.) I also take gabapentin and it has transformed my life in a very positive way, but understand that many others have not had the same results.

Feel free to add me, but I'm not very social so if you're looking for a lot of interaction you might be disappointed lol. You can always ask me questions though :)
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Terri. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1999. I take Lyrcia along with other meds for other chronic pain issues. I have been through the wringer with these chronic pain issues
  • jennabun101
    jennabun101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm Jen, I also have fibromyalgia. I was recently diagnosed, but I'd suffered quietly for years. My mother also has it, and watched her struggle, so I guess I just didn't want to know if I had it too. I take Cymbalta, it works great for me... mostly. I'm hoping taking some weight off will help too, but overall, I don't care about the number on the scale... I want to feel better!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    We do have a fibro group which I would love to see become more active http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/17616-chronic-pain-fibromyalgia