Want to drop weight, dont know where to start.

Options
Should i just eat less of food i already eat

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Eating less of the food you already eat is a great place to start! Just set your MFP Goal to __lbs/week loss and eat what you enjoy within those calories.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Well, yes and no.

To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. If you can “just cut down” and lose weight, good for you. If that’s not broken, don’t fix it.

I had to take more radical steps. Most of us on here do. That involves calculating a calorie deficit and tracking caloric intake with a food diary. Also setting up regular controlled weigh ins to monitor progress and making needed adjustments to keep the losses coming.

I had to change what I ate pretty drastically. Just cutting portions of what I used to eat, left me feeling uncomfortably hungry most of the time.
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I exercise in order to eat more and stay under the mfp calorie goal. Good luck to you.
  • rmact81
    rmact81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes. An easy start would be to start looking at portion control. Get smaller plates and eat what's on your plate before adding to it. Look up recommended portion sizes in weight for male and female. From there start looking at what you eat. Types of food. Try to stick not only to a calorie count but if possible to a macro count. You can have a days calories in a McDonald's but you won't have your macro count. So look at home made foods rather than frozen or from a packet. Cut jars of sauces and other premade easy option. A can of chopped tomatoes is just as easy as a jar of pasta sauce. Small changes make a big Big difference.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Less of the same is a good first step. Portion control can easily get out of hand, so work on being able to tell visually what you should be having, by measuring at home, then when you are out it is easier to eat the right amounts "by eye". Secondly, review what you are eating. Maybe altering the proportions would make a difference. Smaller portion of meat/potato/pasta etc and bigger quantities of green vegetables.

You can do this without going hungry. If you go hungry you'll make mistakes.

Like another poster says, small changes make a big difference.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    yes, basically. Calories in vs calories out. Eat less and try to move a little more. You'll notice you can eat what you still eat as long as you get some exercise in.