I need friends...

Options
I would love some MFP friends who just want to reply with some encouraging words here and there on my journal posts, exercise posts etc. Just to feel like I have some folks cheering me on. If you want to help me out feel free to friend me.

On another note: I have seen very little progress this week. But I have been strick about eating 1200 calories. I was seeing more progress when I was eating 1500-1800 calories. Is this my body's way of telling me to eat more, or is it just an adjustment period?

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Will send a friend request. I'm glad to share support and encouragement.

Hard to tell about your calorie target. It would be helpful for you to post your height, weight, age, activity level, etc. to determine a reasonable calorie target.
  • Clarissa271mfp
    Clarissa271mfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'd be your friend but not sure how I add anyone
  • Brittfitt16
    Brittfitt16 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm so down! I've also felt like I need more MFP friends to cheer and get some supportive feedback of my own.

As for the calorie thing, everyone's body has different needs. It all depends on your physical activity level, current height/ weight, and any other health factors. You know your body best but the 1,200 calorie restriction is just a recommendation for for the "average women" trying to lose weight. What I've gathered from experience and research is that, in order to lose weight you want to burn more calories than you are consuming. This means in order to lose weight your resting metabolic rate or basal metabolic rate (BMR = calories you burn just being alive and doing whatever it is you do on a daily bases) plus the calories you burn exercising have to be greater than what you eat! So the calories you eat day to day may vary.

For example my BMR is 1,542 calories = calories burned just by being alive
    (*Note this number is based off an online BMR calculator and numbers may vary depending on calculation method used.)
    Plus calories burned during workout (ex. 1 mile run = 205 calories burned)
    So 1,542 + 205 = 1747.
    The important thing to keep in mind is that your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs to keep it functioning at a healthy level, so restricting calories will help you lose weight but you could also be harming your body. This is why 1,200 is the lowest recommendation of calories before you are completely starving your body and cause other health problems.

Through a lot of trial and error I've found what works for me. I don't stick to a strict calorie goal because some days I work out more so I tend to eat more, other days I work out less or none at all so I eat less. I try to keep a minimum goal of 1,542 calories because anything less than that and I'm hangry, getting headaches, or just tired. I also eat about every 2 hours because my body functions best that way. You can decide what works best for you!

My fitness pal does a pretty good job calculating BMR + workouts for your daily claorie intake. The numbers might take some getting used to but after a couple weeks you may notice yourself feeling better and getting better results.

*Don't forget that what you eat aside from calories really matters. Macro nutrient like carbs, fats, and proteins are all important! You need a balance to get the results you're looking for. Feel free to message me about it and I can give you more advice.

Hope some of this info makes sense and helps! Good luck with your health/ fitness goals!
  • siddbucks
    siddbucks Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm so down! I've also felt like I need more MFP friends to cheer and get some supportive feedback of my own.

As for the calorie thing, everyone's body has different needs. It all depends on your physical activity level, current height/ weight, and any other health factors. You know your body best but the 1,200 calorie restriction is just a recommendation for for the "average women" trying to lose weight. What I've gathered from experience and research is that, in order to lose weight you want to burn more calories than you are consuming. This means in order to lose weight your resting metabolic rate or basal metabolic rate (BMR = calories you burn just being alive and doing whatever it is you do on a daily bases) plus the calories you burn exercising have to be greater than what you eat! So the calories you eat day to day may vary.

(*Note this number is based off an online BMR calculator and numbers may vary depending on calculation method used.)
    So 1,542 + 205 = 1747.
    The important thing to keep in mind is that your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs to keep it functioning at a healthy level, so restricting calories will help you lose weight but you could also be harming your body. This is why 1,200 is the lowest recommendation of calories before you are completely starving your body and cause other health problems.

Through a lot of trial and error I've found what works for me. I don't stick to a strict calorie goal because some days I work out more so I tend to eat more, other days I work out less or none at all so I eat less. I try to keep a minimum goal of 1,542 calories because anything less than that and I'm hangry, getting headaches, or just tired. I also eat about every 2 hours because my body functions best that way. You can decide what works best for you!

My fitness pal does a pretty good job calculating BMR + workouts for your daily claorie intake. The numbers might take some getting used to but after a couple weeks you may notice yourself feeling better and getting better results.

*Don't forget that what you eat aside from calories really matters. Macro nutrient like carbs, fats, and proteins are all important! You need a balance to get the results you're looking for. Feel free to message me about it and I can give you more advice.

Hope some of this info makes sense and helps! Good luck with your health/ fitness goals!
    Helpful.
  • seritalind88
    seritalind88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! Feel free to add me as a friend. I’m new to MFP....well I’m actually using the app now versus just letting it take up storage in my phone. I need to lose 45 lbs. I am down a few pounds this week. Lots of healthier choices and daily exercise. A huge difference from what I am use to. Let inspire each other!!
  • Clarissa271mfp
    Clarissa271mfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can add me
  • Noradun
    Noradun Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Will send a friend request. I'm glad to share support and encouragement.

Hard to tell about your calorie target. It would be helpful for you to post your height, weight, age, activity level, etc. to determine a reasonable calorie target.

Yea, I was embarrassed to add that, but here goes. I am 5 ft 5. Currently 284lbs. 31 yrs old. I spend half of my day sitting, either doing my kids school work (I homeschool) or doing mine (I am in my second year of college). I spend the second half cleaning. I finish my day doing an hour or more of dancing (zumba etc), or some sort of fun activity that gets me up and moving (baseball, etc).
  • jgar71
    jgar71 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Need friends haha
  • Noradun
    Options
    You can do this!! Feel free to add me as a friend. I’m new to MFP....well I’m actually using the app now versus just letting it take up storage in my phone. I need to lose 45 lbs. I am down a few pounds this week. Lots of healthier choices and daily exercise. A huge difference from what I am use to. Let inspire each other!!

That would be great hun thanks! I would like to lose 84 lbs. I actually have a higher goal than most, but I like some fluff. Just not as much as I have LOL Plus with my build I like me a little heavier than what is normally hoped for. So far to go to get to my goal though! Will be happy to cheer you on towards your own!
  • Noradun
    Options

So 1,542 + 205 = 1747.

I have been dealing with exhaustion. But I don't feel hungry at all. Actually, I am forcing myself to eat what I am eating just to get above 1200. Yesterday for example I only ate 980 calories. Then I did Zumba or an hour, which MFP claimed was over 1000 calories burned. So it wouldn't let me close out my journal because I was so low on calories. I had a snack before bed, but still finished way under. Anyway, I am 5ft5 284 lbs. (My all time biggest was 293) I mentioned in another post that the first half of my day I am doing school work with my children or doing my own. So I am sitting. The second half consists of school work. Then I exercise in the evening. Either by dancing, Zumba, playing just dance with the kiddos, etc or by going outdoors and doing activities such as playing baseball. MFP has my goal at 1800. But I have doing quite a bit less than that. I have also been focusing on super low carbs. And high protein. Very little breads, no grains, etc. My body is just very slow to respond.
  • Noradun
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the friend invites!
  • Mommyof230
    Mommyof230 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I need some friends too. I am not new to MFP, but have never kept up with it because do not feel like I have a big social crew on here. I am a very social person and thrive on being inspired by others. Any adds would be greatly appreciated. I really need to lose weight. I am at rock bottom. =(
  • marushkamonette
    marushkamonette Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey I’m new here ! Add me too... could definitely look for some motivation and support
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the right track. 1200 calories is not enough food for you. I entered your stats in a couple of calculators. They put your BMR at around 2000 calories per day. You probably need to eat at least 1600 calories per day.
  • sebboogiedog
    sebboogiedog Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me also
  • Noradun
    Options
    I think you're on the right track. 1200 calories is not enough food for you. I entered your stats in a couple of calculators. They put your BMR at around 2000 calories per day. You probably need to eat at least 1600 calories per day.

Thank you, So if I up my intake to closer to 1600 I should loose better!