Nervous about opening up my diary to the public.

Options
I'm a little gun shy about showing my food diary to the public. Just feeling that people can openly judge every morsel I put in my mouth is pretty frightening. I've recently felt a kind of obligation to let people see how I've lost weight, though. I've been using myfitnesspal since January and have lost 72 lbs. I guess I'm a success story?? My goal is 100 lbs. lost by the end of October and I am right on schedule to hit my goal. Everyone asks "how'd you do it?" and it's too hard to explain. It's really a complete lifestyle change...and that is not what people want to hear. So, by making my diary public, people can just go and see exactly "how I did it" :)

Replies

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to make it public then don't make it completely public, friends only. If they wanna see they can join MFP (yaya!), add you and check out how you do it.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Go for it!

What is the worst that can happen? One or two jerks maybe comment on one processed thing or one bad day? Okay, then you can decide to close it, or make it available to only friends and be choosy about you who befriend. My diary is open to friends, and I have never had a snarky comment, despite plenty of slip-ups. People are pretty encouraging for the most part. :)
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Well, you can also choose to have it open to just your friends, which is what I have. And having the option of people seeing what you eat can be a source of motivation. I also have not had any of my friends make any negative comments about my food choices - anything I think that isn't "right" I make the notation in the diary notes box.

Plus, nothing says you have to. You can opt to put your story on your profile and they can read it there. Or you can just tell them.

Also, and more importantly, congrats on the success! That's awesome :)
  • MandyCanDo
    MandyCanDo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would love to see your journal-as I am new to MFB by 6 days and have approximately 50 lbs to lose. That being said, it is your decision to do what you feel comfortable with. If people look at it and judge, they are obviously here for the wrong reason and their opinions/comments don't matter.

Congratulations on your amazing success and can't wait to hear you cheering for meeting your goal in October!
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    Hey there....I had mine open to public and there are just a random few who get what I call "snarky' about diary entries (you know, the need for that one-upmanship). I then chose to open it to friends only. That way, I know they are commenting to help and not be snarky! Congrats on your success!
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Please, don't feel scared! I know I was, and I've finally opened mine up to just my friends. It helps you keep accountability for sure. As for why I look at other diaries...to get other ideas of things that might add change to my own. Friends are here to help not condone us. And by the way CONGRATULATIONS on the nearly 100 lb lost! GREAT JOB!!!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have mine opened and it causes me to be so much more mindful of what I eat because I know others will be looking at it. It's great for accountability! I have skipped logging on certain days, but more because I don't want to face the reality (or when I was sick so was grievously under). Even so, I haven't had one nasty or snarky comment on my diary, even on my worst days. I say give it a shot. You can always close it again :)
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Agree, I keep mine open to my friends. "We" have been on this journey together and have formed a trusted bond and honest relationship. What good would it do to have complete strangers who know nothing about me,my schedule, lifestyle, and stressors comment on what I eat.
    Just my thoughts!
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    Do it! Mine is public. Yup, take a look, I had taco bell last night haha.

I know from personal experience I look at others' diaries mostly for food ideas and not to scrutinize. But of course, whatever you feel comfortable with.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I was the same way. My choices aren't always perfect and I didn't really want people telling me what I'm doing wrong when I'm not asking for their opinion. I opened it to my friends only a couple of weeks ago and I haven't had any negative comments. You do whatever you are comfortable with. You are obviously doing something right having lost so much weight. This journey isn't about being perfect it's about doing this in a sustainable manner, which means sometimes you will eat things that aren't the greatest choice.
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I don't have mine open either and I've had an occasional request to do it. It's just my own choice for now, although lately I've been thinking about it. I guess I just fear criticism. I think it's a matter of personal choice and what you feel comfortable with.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people get discouraged when they try to change their diet and they aren't 100% perfect. They don't need to see Stepford diaries where every meal is perfect. They need to see diaries where people are doing their best, mess up, but make gradual improvements. That progression will help them see that they don't give up if they slip up and in the end, if they keep making small changes, the 90% good will outweigh the 10% bad.

It sounds like you have that sort of diary and I for one would love to browse it to get some good ideas on how to improve my own diet.
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    I've opened mine up so that I think twice before sticking something fattening in my mouth lol. It's keeps me accountable for my eating habits. Honestly, I don't care if people criticize what I eat. If I'm eating wrong I'd want someone to let me know in a tough love kind of way. Unless it was my cheat day then they can STFU :laugh:

I like to look at other peoples dairy's so I can get new ideas of things to eat. I'm new to this lifestyle change so I'm constantly reading my MFP friends diary's. :drinker:
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I don't have mine open either and I've had an occasional request to do it. It's just my own choice for now, although lately I've been thinking about it. I guess I just fear criticism. I think it's a matter of personal choice and what you feel comfortable with.

This is where I am right now too.
  • joyfulthanks
    Options
    I understand what you're saying. I only opened mine last week, and although I had a month's worth of journal entries at that point, I just couldn't bring myself to put them out there when I wasn't really trying my best at that point.

I actually wound up going back and deleting all my previous entries and starting over -- this time with my journal public. It's been a really good decision for me. I've been much more mindful of what I'm eating since I know others can see it.

I think it's wonderful that you're thinking of others and how to help them! You've had great success on your journey. Although your journals may not be "picture perfect," your success is beautiful, and I'm sure it can help others to see that you don't have to be 100% flawless to be successful.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! As of right now, I'm not opening my food journal up to others to view because MFP is working for me. I feel good about it and I would be afraid one person's critique of my choices would burst my bubble, send me to a negative place, or just shift my focus away from what is working.
    If you do want to do it - I like the idea of first opening it up to your friends. They will only have words of encouragment. Good luck.
  • SweGuy
    SweGuy Posts: 78
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story; it is amazing... I mean, I have changed my mind totally because I dont see it as a diet but I am more onto you - I mean, that it´s a change of lifestyle..

and the other thing, you dont have to show your diary to others - unless you want to.. There are ways so you can check them up; as in either having it public, just friends or even with an access code...

Be awesome; be yourself..
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm a very picky eater and don't eat the way most other people eat. I tend to eat the same things day in and day out because of how picky I am. Not only that, but I take a "Everything in moderation" approach to this journey. Now, there are things I refuse to eat - but it isn't because I CAN'T have them - I don't WANT them.

I have been criticized for what I eat more than once and that is why my diary isn't public. I don't want to hear from people who think they know what is best for ME. Open yours up to your friends only. Since they are your friends you shouldn't have to worry about criticism or anything like that. :)
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just opened mine yesterday and I felt the same way. I really think it does help with the accountability.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. i still have my diary set to private.
    I worry about people judging me because of some of the things I eat
    & what MFP has set my calories too (although I have adjusted it slightly lower).
    DH has been laid off work (and looking) for over 2 years so sometimes,
    unfortunately, we eat like college students (ramen, mac n' cheese, frozen burritos) BUT
    I'm almost always under calorie goals.