Help! Newbie with a question on calories

Options
Heya! So I have imput my information and MFP suggests my calorie intake be 1900... I weigh 146kg so have LOTS to lose. that seems like an awful lot when trying to lose weight? Or would that be about right as long as I’m filling with healthy fats? I like to eat relatively low carb and am not keen on grains as I get a tummy ache. I tracked today and was under 1500 so I guess I’m asking should I chuck in some avo or salmon to up the amount? Or aim for lower than the recommended calorie amount?

P.s happy for any new friends who want to track together!

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,476 Member
    Options
    A heavy body needs a lot of caliries just to function. Thus yes, the numbers look right.
  • janelleginnetto
    janelleginnetto Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi! 1900 cals doesn't seem too high depending on what you have to lose. I'm in the United States so I only know lbs so not sure what that is in lbs. If you go under a day that is perfectly fine, but too low of a calorie deficit can cause you to go on binges in the long run. Your best bet is to use the app for about a month and see if you're losing weight, if you're not then adjusting your diet may be necessary. Everyone is different, but a caloric deficit is what is needed to lose weight for anybody. Make sure you're not depriving yourself of foods you enjoy because that will make it that much harder to keep up with what is a lifestyle change. Feel free to add me for motivation or any questions you may have and I'll try to answer! Best of luck to you!
  • janelleginnetto
    janelleginnetto Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Also I weigh 216 lbs and am 5'2 aiming for a lb a week and it allows me for 1890 in calories a day. I usually hit between 1400 and 1700 and have been consistently losing weight.
  • PixelDuzt
    PixelDuzt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I just needed someone to tell me that 1900 wasn’t too high because it just sounds so huge, and in my many years of yo yo dieting a lot of plans have been around the 1200 mark for weight loss. But yeah I guess I will just experiment a little and see what number works best for me now that I know I can at least go up to 1900 :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is your friend.

And if you logged what was a normal day before you were on MFP, I would imagine it's a lot more than 1900!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's better to stick to a calorie deficit, while enjoying life, and keep losing, than eating too little, suffer, and give up and regain. I would also encourage variety and a healthy relationship with food, and that means you can let go of "healthy/unhealthy fats" - "unhealthy fats" often includes saturated fat, by some misconception; unless you're a vegetarian/vegan, fatty meat and full fat dairy is delicious and nutritious - just avoid man made trans fat, and burnt fat, and limit deep fried foods, and you're golden.