Options
    Foam roller
    Epson salt bath
  • Lianapugzoe
    Lianapugzoe Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Foam roller
    Epson salt bath

I knew about the salt...but foam roller really?
  • Lianapugzoe
    Options
    caiteh86 wrote: »
    This is going to sound really weird...but sometimes I rub horse liniment on my sore muscles and it really works lol

Wow....no that does not sound weird.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Foam roller
    Epson salt bath

Yes. It helps massage the muscles.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I try to walk and stretch, maybe some yoga. Keep moving. Maybe take an extra day between the exercises that made you sore, but don't quit! Your body will acclimate and not get as sore next time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Foam roller
    Epson salt bath

Why so skeptical?
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Foam roller. My glutes were killing me the other day. Rolled them out and oh what a difference!!!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I keep moving through it. Obviously much more cautious and gentle, but nonetheless I keep on trucking.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I get much less doms when my protein is higher, though it might just be in my head lol.
  • Lianapugzoe
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Foam roller
    Epson salt bath

Why so skeptical?

Not skeptical..just never heard of foam
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    +1 to foam roller or other self-massage tools (tennis or lacrosse ball, yoga ball, etc.), warm bath, stretching/yoga, mild exercise like a walk, Epsom salt soak, professional sports massage if it's an option.

On the avoidance side, I'd suggest adequate warm up and cool-down, post-workout stretch, post-workout icing (or cold bath if you can stand it ;) ).

On the treatment side, I don't think adequate hydration (before/during/after, actually) has been mentioned. For long sessions (hour plus, like when I was taking back to back spin & kettlebell classes), it seems to help to have a small snack part way through. I prefer food to supplements. Applesauce between the classes and milk after seemed to help me with both workout energy in hour 2, and with recovery.

Some of that sort of thing seems pretty individual, so YMMV.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Foam roller
    Epson salt bath

Why so skeptical?

Not skeptical..just never heard of foam

They're not really foam (at least most of them aren't). They work similar to a massage. There is some evidence they work but they do seem to make me feel better. No harm as far as I know.

Epsom salt is often recommended but there is no evidence it does anything for you. Again, probably no harm but I hate to waste money on things that do nothing...
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Rolling, salt baths, and my beloved icy hot. I'd never hear of rolling until I took a pilates class and experieced the tennis ball. It's now something I want to get back to doing it (and probably will this week) as I always felt so nice and loose afterwards.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, as mentioned...hydration
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Foam roller, or for quads and IT band I prefer the little handheld stick with rollers on type thing. A tennis ball also works. Tiger balm is good. Alternating heat and ice and rest if you really messed something up.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Protein - help your body to fix itself, get some within 30mins of finishing for optimal impact (dinner/Shake/Bar/nuts - doesn’t matter what)
    Hydration - this is a given
    Adequate recovery time - the rest periods are as important as the training itself

As you train more your muscles will build and the soreness gets less and less.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Food - rest - and light activity - walking for sore legs- you can even do the same or similar exercise that got you sore, just use light weights. you want to get the blood flowing. Eastcoast Jim
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    stretching and warm/hot bath with epson salt
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    caiteh86 wrote: »
    This is going to sound really weird...but sometimes I rub horse liniment on my sore muscles and it really works lol

Wow....no that does not sound weird.

That's actually an old fashioned remedy, liniment used to be a big thing in sports locker rooms and non-equine forms would include Absorbing Junior, Tiger Balm and Bengay. It's really a mild topical irritant that takes advantage of some quirks in our pain reception.