Primal Diet - It's working for me to get leaner

Options
So, I am already at my goal weight, but trying to lean out more. SO, I decided to try the Primal Diet (see www.marksdailyapple.com for info) and I have lost 3 pounds and lost 1/2 inch off my waist in just over a week. I'm doing P90X for exercise.

Anyone else out there doing it?

Here's an example of my daily intake: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ElaineKatko?date=2011-08-01

Elaine

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I started the Primal lifestyle in January. Currently I'm doing the Whole 30 challenge on top of it:
    http://whole9life.com/2010/12/whole30-2011/
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Interesting :)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I am starting Primal and have noticed I'm leaning out in my shoulders/arms. I also do CrossFit 3xper week.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    * bump*
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The hard thing for me is getting enough fat. So I've been adding more olive oil and nut butters and this week I'm going to add in 1/2 avocado per day as well. I also added in fish oil/flax oil supplements. It's certainly a different mindset to change my goals to FIFTY PERCENT fat! LOL
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Elaine, make friends with COCONUT! Coconut is so yummy and versatile, and loaded with delicious fat. Coconut milk is rich, creamy, makes great ice cream, and is rich in lauric acid. I recently discovered that toasting coconut chips (the great big coconut shavings) and serving it with heavy cream is better than cornflakes.
    Oh, yeah, if you do dairy, try adding heavy cream. Tasty, tasty stuff!
  • MrCake
    MrCake Posts: 53
    Options
    The hard thing for me is getting enough fat. So I've been adding more olive oil and nut butters and this week I'm going to add in 1/2 avocado per day as well. I also added in fish oil/flax oil supplements. It's certainly a different mindset to change my goals to FIFTY PERCENT fat! LOL

Not exactly sure what the principles of this diet are but by the looks of it, it looks really good. One of the simplest but most reasonable piece of nutritional advice I've read was in the form of, "before eating anything, ask yourself, was a cavemen able to eat that? If not, don't eat it." It seems this diet/lifestyle goes along these lines. I'm a big fan of high protein/fat diets and limitings carbohydrates to fruits rich in nutrients and antioxidants (mostly berries cause I'm addicted). Getting 50% of your calories from fat can be scary at first until you start seeing the results that come from. I'm currently holding a 5000 calorie diet with about 45-50% coming from fat, which means taking spoon fulls of fat with meals.

-Fish Oil caps with every meal
    -Coconut oil (cook with it, mix in your smoothies, eat it with a spoon)
    -Olive oil (goes well with most foods, and also works fairly well with the spoon method)
    -Avocados, nuts, fish, lean steaks