eating exercise calories and .... gaining?

So, I spent most of last week reading the board with all of the horror stories about "starvation mode" and needing to net your minimum calorie intake (I'm between 161-159lbs, 5'4 and 26 years old with a minimum cal intake of 1200). So this week I decided that I would try to eat at least a majority of my exercise cals. Well, it looks like I'm either going to maintain this week or gain a pound by the looks of my scale this morning.

I not exactly sure what to do here because I want to eat enough ... but I also want to lose, too ...

Replies

• If you exercise every day, aim for burning around 500 calories. Never burn as much as you eat because that will lead your body to starvation mode since you have no extra calories for the body to run on. 3500 cals = 1 lb lost. That should be 1 lb per week to play it safe. Also, when you gain, it sometimes may even be lean muscle. Muscle is a lot smaller than fat.
  • I usually don't eat all my exercise calories...and sometimes don't eat any...that being said...make sure your carbs are within your goal...and watch the sugar intake...keep drinking a lot of water and continue to exercise...not everyone likes to eat those exercise calories...as long as you don't go under the minimum amount of calories or too far above it you should be fine...maybe you are gaining muscle and next weigh in will show it on the scale...that is where I am this week...
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 447 Member
    Make sure you are logging your exercise calories properly too. I've found some of the numbers on MFP to be a little high. If you are overestimating your calories burned and then eating them, you will gain weight! Good luck :-)
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    So, I spent most of last week reading the board with all of the horror stories about "starvation mode" and needing to net your minimum calorie intake (I'm between 161-159lbs, 5'4 and 26 years old with a minimum cal intake of 1200). So this week I decided that I would try to eat at least a majority of my exercise cals. Well, it looks like I'm either going to maintain this week or gain a pound by the looks of my scale this morning.

I not exactly sure what to do here because I want to eat enough ... but I also want to lose, too ...

Finish the week. See how it goes. If it feels like it's just not working for you, go back to what you were doing before. Just remember that, should you get very hungry, you do have those extra calories from exercise to dip into.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member

Your diary looks good! One suggestion, go to Settings and Diary Settings... add Sodium to your Nutrients Tracked. Monitor that number to make sure you are keeping it at 1,500mg (American Heart Association's new daily recommendation). One week is probably not enough time to tell if what you changed is working for you since there are too many variables like the timing of TOM or ovulation, food still left undigested, fluid build-up from working out, etc. Give it another week or two and see how it goes. Good luck!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    I looked at your diary and what's seriously missing is the choices in QUALITY of your calories, and not just quantity. Your protien intake is quite low and most of your carbs are simple sugars rather than complex ones.

As well, there is no indication of how you're timing your meals through the day along with before and after your workouts.

You want each meal to be a complete balance of carb and protein so that your body has all the nutrients it needs at any given time.

Ice Cream sandwiches and Cookie Dough as snacks on a daily basis aren't recommended fat burners.

Also keep in mind...Scale weight and body composition are not the same things. Far too much focus is put on the scale numbers instead of your actual body shape.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Thanks so much for your help, everyone! :-)
  • spaingirl2011
    I looked at your diary and what's seriously missing is the choices in QUALITY of your calories, and not just quantity. Your protien intake is quite low and most of your carbs are simple sugars rather than complex ones.

As well, there is no indication of how you're timing your meals through the day along with before and after your workouts.

You want each meal to be a complete balance of carb and protein so that your body has all the nutrients it needs at any given time.

Ice Cream sandwiches and Cookie Dough as snacks on a daily basis aren't recommended fat burners.

Also keep in mind...Scale weight and body composition are not the same things. Far too much focus is put on the scale numbers instead of your actual body shape.

Yeah, I'm moving, so I'm trying to clean out the fridge a bit. Though I do eat dinner after I work out. So what's fueling my post workout is whatever I've eaten for dinner.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    The scale is stupid. I hate it. To be blunt. There's so much that goes into what your scale says. I'll give you my recent example...I was out in the 105 heat for 5 hours, had some Chinese (aka too much salt that day), and some wheat contamination (I need to be gluten free)...I GAINED 6 lbs in 2 days. I hadn't eaten enough cals to make that the case. Here it is 3-4 days later and I've lost 6.5lbs. The scale is a source of laughable entertainment to me. And btw, never in the past few days have my jeans been too tight to jive with 6 real pounds of gain.

Anyway, when you work out your body will hold on to water to transport nutrients to your muscles and to keep the water you sweated out. Excess sodium in your diet can do it...too many carbs can do it...

Don't blame eating exercise cals as why you "gained". Try keeping track of measurements and body fat % instead. Those are more telltale than the stupid scale. :)
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Hello! It is sooo important that you eat enough. I lost 70lbs when I was 19, by not eating enough and not eating properly and exercising a lot. I screwed up my endocrine system and developed hypoglycemia with fainting spells and major drops in energy. One year later all the weight crept back on over the next 4 years of living a "normal" life. 2 years ago, I changed HOW I ate and began a healthy lifestyle. Not so much about calorie counting, but healthy foods and proper portions. I exercise minimum 5x per week also. I lost those 60lbs again and am in my BEST health ever! Diabetes runs in my family, I was morbidly obese and prediabetic in my teens. Health matters most! I highly recommend Jillian Michael's book "Mastering Your Metabolism"!!! My most vauable tips: lean protein (chicken, fish, etc), tons of veggies (limit fruit! -Sugar...), fibre!!! (keeps u full and slows digestion - veggies, whole wheat and NO WHITE FLOWER products). Exercise, exercise, exercise. It WILL get easier, u MUST be patient!!!
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Do you use an HRM or other device to calculate calories burned? MFP and the machine numbers are always grossly high.
  • spaingirl2011
    Do you use an HRM or other device to calculate calories burned? MFP and the machine numbers are always grossly high.

Yep! I've been using an HRM (though I'm getting a fitbit so that I can see what the day's calorie burn looks like and put the food into that context). I also try to overestimate food calories in case I'm not measuring accurately.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Also, a 1 lb increase is so minimal, it could be within the range of error, like TOM, your sodium you ate retaining water, or just natural water retention due to your muscles needing fluids to repair. I know everyone tends to only pay attention to the scale, but you your measurements, body fat %, and how you feel is vastly more important.

My wife and I have been doing this for two months. She was completely fustrated because even though a trainer warned her it would happen, she barely saw the scale move. But behold, in under 2 months she lost only 1 lb, but 6% body fat. Everyone we know thinks that she looks thinner.
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    I found this helpful re: starvation mode

http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742

I don't believe all the horror stories but nor do I believe starving yourself is a good way to lose weight. I think people need to reach their own conclusions and ways of losing weight that work for them whilst remaining healthy.
  • spaingirl2011

I don't believe all the horror stories but nor do I believe starving yourself is a good way to lose weight. I think people need to reach their own conclusions and ways of losing weight that work for them whilst remaining healthy.

Thanks for the info!!
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Firstly try monitoring your sugar with a view to cutting down and try to increase protein intake.

I eat exercise calories if hungry. If you don't let yourself go hungry your body will not be starved. I think I probably eat half of them.
  • Natasha7t2
    Natasha7t2 Posts: 129
    In 2008 I lost 3 and a half stone (50lbs) on the Rosemary Conley low-GI diet. After the initial 1000 calories a day 'kick-start' for 2-weeks', you have to increase to 1500 cals a day. I was going to the gym 4 times (sometimes 5 times) a week and I was losing a consistent and sensible 2lbs a week. My gym routine consisted of cardio, strength training and yoga. For the entire time I was on the GI diet I stuck to 1500 cals a day. There was never any mention of eating back calories after exercise. Even when I missed the gym, I would still lose weight and I never plateaued. I not only lost weight, but kept it off until the beginning of this year. I was also the healthiest I have ever been. Not sure I get this eating back your calories (not saying it's wrong though).
  • Goalinsight
    Goalinsight Posts: 32 Member

Thank you for this. Very interesting.
  • If you exercise every day, aim for burning around 500 calories. Never burn as much as you eat because that will lead your body to starvation mode since you have no extra calories for the body to run on. 3500 cals = 1 lb lost. That should be 1 lb per week to play it safe. Also, when you gain, it sometimes may even be lean muscle. Muscle is a lot smaller than fat.

may I ask...I am having trouble getting my head around this...if my calorie goal set by MFP is 1470 cal (1 lb loss per week) if I am coming close to meeting that calorie goal and burning 500 calories a day (HRM use) is that the right target?
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    over estimating calories burned..underestimating calories you intake.
    its common..thats why i never log my exercises..i just meet my calorie goal.

ps..starvation mode is a myth btw..no scientific proof..do the research as i have