IBS suffer! Can’t help but feel bummed!!

Options
Despite my measurements going down, the scale fluctuations due to my ever changing IBS symptoms are disheartening. The one inch I’ve lost in my legs over the last 2/3 weeks has really motivated me in the gym.. but the scale not moving really questions my diet and if it really is as healthy as I believe!! Hate IBS!!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    If there are fluctuations, try and take comfort in the knowledge that the lack of scale movement is down to the water retention from your IBS. that doesn't mean you're not shifting fat, it just means you're not as readily able to see it on the scale because of the bloating.

Are you using a trendweight app at all? It might help you see past the fluctuations a bit - Libra (android) or Happy Scale (iOS).

Have you seen a dietician about your IBS to try and get to the bottom of what your triggers are?
  • ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I was put off exercise because of it, barely went out side afraid that I won't find a place to relive myself which made the ibs worse.
  • g00286581
    g00286581 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I was put off exercise because of it, barely went out side afraid that I won't find a place to relive myself which made the ibs worse.

OMG, you are me!!!! It’s so hard, and embarrassing to tell people, especially when I am going anywhere early in the morning or out of my normal routine, that I need to stop 2/3/4 times! And then when it’s just day to day I feel so heavy! Exercise for me helps it, so thankfully when I’m motivated I crave it! But I need to be motivated, so the scale I think needs to go! And just rely on the measurement tape every two weeks!
  • g00286581
    Options
    Have you seen a dietician about your IBS to try and get to the bottom of what your triggers are?[/quote]

Not yet I’ve recently moved to a new country, and the doctors where great I got test done that I was refused at home, and it ruled out allergy to gluten and dairy. But unfortunately they didn’t refer me to a dietitian. They did prescribe me an anti spasmstic medication, and honestly my life has improved so much!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    g00286581 wrote: »
    Have you seen a dietician about your IBS to try and get to the bottom of what your triggers are?

Not yet I’ve recently moved to a new country, and the doctors where great I got test done that I was refused at home, and it ruled out allergy to gluten and dairy. But unfortunately they didn’t refer me to a dietitian. They did prescribe me an anti spasmstic medication, and honestly my life has improved so much!

It might be helpful to ask for a referral, in the meantime you could look into doing the Low FODMAP, you basically restrict high FODMAP foods for a period of time and re-introduce them slowly to see what causes your flare ups, my mum gave it a whirl after years of issues and found it really helped with identifying the foods that trigger her, she mostly just has the odd stress-related flare up now.

https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

• Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have IBS too and similar to what everyone else said it can be hard to pinpoint. I do think it's great you're having measurement changes that's a good thing to focus on.
    I'm currently having a flare up today overdid it with random foods and had to cancel meeting a friend after work because I'm worried about going for a long walk like this lol you know...
    Mostly I know what my triggers are tho!
    Feel free to add me!
  • g00286581
    Options
    Ahh, so here we go again! I seen a big drop in my weight during the week, and now it’s back up after an awful day yesterday at work with issue! I’ve no idea what caused it this time, as my food intake was pretty similar all week, except for the addition of diet soda yesterday, so maybe it’s another food item to watch! Anyway it’s normal. Thanks for all the comments and advise
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. I had IBS in my twenties...tomatoes, greens and any food that had possibly sat out for any period of time were my triggers. It was tough...always knowing where a bathroom was and twice being in a car and unable to get to one on time. Once in awhile I have a flare up now, but for the most part it's under control. Hang in there.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,723 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    On addition to IBS you guys DO realize that water weight fluctuations ARE NORMAL, right?

Time of the month for women, sodium in food, exercise and a myriad other reasons cause water weight fluctuations.

Weight loss is NOT linear. Over a period of 6 weeks your trend of daily weigh-ins maybe meaningful. Each individual weigh in... isn't.

Use a weight trend app or web site and save yourself some stress.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I too had IBS but was able to overhaul my diet to (almost) eliminate symptoms. Sounds like you could really benefit from FODMAP. No need to suffer if it’s a relatively easy elimination.
  • Samar1547
    Samar1547 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I completely understand I lost 5 stone in 8/9 months never really knew abut my IBS until I lost weight but even after the weight loss my stomach balloons on certain foods and I feel sick for a whole 2 days sometimes and barely eat which is all because of the bloating. I've learned that unfortunately for me I have to still to under 1400kcal most days and just have treats when I feel like it. I can't have big meals anymore without feeling awful afterwards just like snacks as my treats or keep it light throughout the day if I want a bigger meal. Weight fluctuation for me can be anything from a couple pounds to half a stone. Your body goes through a lot don't stress as we can always control the scale. The scale is just a number if you are seeing differences that's all that matters :smile:
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the bloating that keep making my waistline 2 or more inches larger that bugs me, but since I'm not willing to ax the foods that are causing it, I am living with it.

If your plan is right for you and you work it faithfully, the weight will come off, just not always when you want it to. :)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I too had IBS but was able to overhaul my diet to (almost) eliminate symptoms. Sounds like you could really benefit from FODMAP. No need to suffer if it’s a relatively easy elimination.

Its very strange but I seem to have more triggers on the FODMAP list than not (not that I'm saying you shouldn't try it chances are I'm an outlier as many swear by FODMAP), I wish more was understood about IBS and you could just get a test to tell you exactly what to avoid.

I also found whilst suffering with an IBS flare that feeling too full or too empty flared it up so be careful. My worst times were between 3-6pm, usually when my stomach was empty since lunch but I wouldn't get chance to eat again till after work. I also found WHILST I was eating the process of eating would feel therapeutic and temporarily subdue the pain which would cause me to over eat but being overly full would give me an even worse attack. :/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I was wondering how you guys with IBS would deal with this protein bar, particularly the bolded ingredients. It also has 26g Fibre in a 65g bar:

Milk Protein, Isomalto-oligosaccharide, Bulking Agent (Polydextrose), Oligofructose, Cocoa Mass (8.8%), Cocoa Nibs (4.4%), Low Fat Cocoa (2.2%), Flavourings, Salt, Sweetener (Steviol Glycosides)

Eating these protein bars kicked off horrific symptoms for me, and the only thing i can think of that caused it is the isomalto and/or oligofructose.
    The weird thing is the symptoms continued for around another 6mths after i stopped eating them. Doctor has no clue, IBS was brought up but never really investigated. I had never had any gut problems before eating these bars, it came on quickly but took me months to get back to normal. I didnt think IBS came and just went like that...
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for those that are suffering. I think the idea of keeping notes with your logging on what seems to flare things up is excellent advice. I was diagnosed with IBS in my 20's, but it really just turned out to be anxiety. Without realizing it, I would slightly hyperventilate, throwing off my O2/CO2 balance in my blood which would kick in the sympathetic nervous system. Once I learned to recognize when my breathing was too fast/shallow and to do square breathing, I haven't had any issues since. But anxiety is only one trigger.
  • imaginemary
    imaginemary Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My IBS symptoms are (mostly) gone after many humiliating and quasi-disabled years - I tried the elimination diet that Dr. Mimi Guarneri describes and I found out gluten and dairy were my triggers.