So tired!

Options
The only time I have to work out is before work. However, whenever I do, I am just drained for the rest of the day. I am new to working out and haven't developed a routine. Will it get easier in the long run? How can I get more energy throughout my day?

Thank you!!

Replies

• TriPaulCantRun
    TriPaulCantRun Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It will definitely get better the more you get used to it. Consider a protein shake or something similar after exercising. Obviously this will be some of your calorie intake, but it helps me get through to lunch without snacking.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Are you going to bed early enough to get plenty of sleep to get up earlier? That's a critical part of the equation for me. I get up at 4:15 and am at the gym by 5. But that means I'm in bed at 8:30 and certainly never later than 9 during the week. Are you also getting nutrition in after your workout? I need to eat after I workout, if I don't eat or don't eat enough, I drag all day too. I find that working out early gives me energy and gets my day started on the right foot--but only if I'm sure to support that activity with rest and food.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on if you are a morning person or a night person. I am a night person and I tried getting up early to walk with a friend who was a morning person, and my legs felt like I was dragging lead weights. I tried it for 2 weeks thinking it would get easier, but it didn't. I do better in the middle of the day or later.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Could be not enough sleep, too much too soon, not eating enough, or a combination of those. You definitely should not be exhausted but a little more info would help pinpoint.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Working out first thing actually energises me for the day ahead - are you eating enough?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    it DOES get easier once you build a routine, but don't sacrifice sleep for a workout - sleep is vitally important for health, fitness, and losing weight.

I find myself energised by a morning workout, but I keep it simple - a run or walk. Nothing where I have to do anything complicated or communicate with people....

And make it routine - get up early every day, and go to sleep earlier.
  • tessalynn03
    tessalynn03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! I do think my sleeping habits come in to play. I've noticed I haven't been sleeping well at night and I may have went to sleep too late last night. I really am a newbie, so my eating today has been rough. I'm counting macros and all, but I used to not be a breakfast person (or if I did eat something, it was not a good choice) so my food intake is at random times so far today. I guess I'm starting this new lifestyle and it's going to take a while to change. I just wanted to make sure that it will indeed change :smiley:
  • witchblade32
    witchblade32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a morning person either... breakfast was granola bars at work. I started doing yoga at home for 20 minutes followed by half a cup of eggbeaters (pretty much pure protein so it doesn't screw up the rest of my calorie intake). It's definitely getting better after about 3 weeks... so hang in there.