12 Hour shifts...

Options
I am a nursing student in my practicum. I "work" three 12 hour shifts a week. During those shifts I spend the majority of my time on my feet and a max of maybe 2 of the 12 hours sitting. I have made my lifestyle "sedentary" because on the days I do not work I have class and study groups, etc so I am pretty sedentary. I work out daily but I enter that separately.

For those of you who work a similar schedule, how many extra calories do you allow yourself the days that you work? What do you eat at work?

Help!

Replies

• MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am a nursing student in my practicum. I "work" three 12 hour shifts a week. During those shifts I spend the majority of my time on my feet and a max of maybe 2 of the 12 hours sitting. I have made my lifestyle "sedentary" because on the days I do not work I have class and study groups, etc so I am pretty sedentary. I work out daily but I enter that separately.

For those of you who work a similar schedule, how many extra calories do you allow yourself the days that you work? What do you eat at work?

Help!
  • MrsTomy
    Options
    Nobody? :sad:
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    I do not work as you do, but I have some info. I read in womens fitness magazine a few months ago not to count calories burned doing your regular routine, Work, house work etc. Your body is used to the daily things you do. Only exercise or activities above your daily routine should be counted. Also If you go back into your goals select edit, guided edit and make sure you select the proper daily routine type. I think there is one for active people such as your self that may add a few calories.
  • MrsTomy
    Options
    Its just that I am only active those 3 days and I do not want to over-eat on the other days.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I would do something in the middle, if you are active on three and mostly sed on the other days, pick in the middle, if there is one, I'm not sure???:ohwell:
  • louisianagirl
    Options
    I am a nurse and often work 12 hour shifts. I actually find I eat less calories becuase I tend to stay busy and have less time to eat. I usually pack granola bars b/c they are quick and simple. I also take yogurt for midmorning ...or midnight (depends on the shift) I keep the food light.
  • debbiernbsn
    Options
    I'm a nurse and work three 12 hour shifts a week. I don't allow myself any extra calories for being on my feet alot.

It's often hard to find time to eat and you really have to plan ahead. I've found that its helpful to pack your lunches and snacks. For snacks, grapes are good because you can keep a small bag of them in your pocket and can pop one in your mouth every few minutes. Granola bars or cereal bars are good, too. I always pack a lunch and a couple of snacks.
  • JamieArmbruster
    JamieArmbruster Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also am a nurse and work three 12 hour shifts per week. I choose "light" I think it was for daily activity, it specifically said nurse as an example of the type of job that would apply. I agree with the other ladies, anything that is quick to eat works for me. I like granola bars, bananas, yogurt. I also like the lean cuisine and smart ones meals to warm up, it is something a little more substantial. It has been working fine for me to do it this way, I also exercise, but in general would say on my days off I am more sedentary than I am when at work!