Water makes me sick, what should I drink?

Options
I want to lose weight and need to find a substitute to the milk/soda I normally drink. I can’t drink water though. It’s strange because I can drink lemonade (too sugary) but it still hurts my stomach a little.
Drinking any kind of water makes me physically ill and has even caused me to throw up several times. What can I drink instead?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    coffee, tea, diet sodas

check with your doc to make sure its not some sort of weird something going on. it took me a long time to get to the point where i could drink plain water, and i still prefer SOMETHING in it, but drink it plain all the time too. try those lo calorie drink packet mixes (i usually use some sort of store brand peach or lemon tea mix). there are calories in them, so log them, but its usually only a few per package, and one package (for me) gives me 2 or 3 (average size bottle of water refills) depending on how diluted i let it get.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to drink at a time?
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    I can't drink water first thing on an empty stomach. Is it happening to you all day or on an empty stomach?

Whatever this is runs in my husband’s family, and our son inherited it. He’ll get all shaky and listless and start puking; it’s scary! We’ve established a protocol where if he wakes up unusually thirsty, we immediately get him saltines and he has to alternate those with sips of water until he’s evened out, but once there’s enough food in his stomach he can drink all he wants. My mind went there, too!
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If this is something common enough to affect both you, your husbands family and your son, how have you not visited a professional to see what it is?

Have you tried adding squash?
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I can't drink water first thing on an empty stomach. Is it happening to you all day or on an empty stomach?

Whatever this is runs in my husband’s family, and our son inherited it. He’ll get all shaky and listless and start puking; it’s scary! We’ve established a protocol where if he wakes up unusually thirsty, we immediately get him saltines and he has to alternate those with sips of water until he’s evened out, but once there’s enough food in his stomach he can drink all he wants. My mind went there, too!

Hyponatremia is a possibility. You should get everyone a blood level after drinking water.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Can you add lemon to water and drink it? My mom can't drink water either...tap or from bottles. But if she adds drops of lemon into the water, she can drink it.
  • gracegettingittogether
    Options
    I struggle with drinking water too. I can easily go for days drinking only tea, which is dehydrating. It's really hard when it's cold outside. Lately, I've not been good at all. Two things help for me; one squeezing lemon juice into the water, and the other is drinking from a straw. I still have to force myself though. It also helps, if I'm really nauseated by the thought of water to drink, to drink a flavored unsweetened sparkling water. Sometimes, after having one, it helps to sort of stimulate thirst, and then water is more doable.
  • BeauHg
    BeauHg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    JidGod wrote: »
    What about water makes you feel sick? Water is in everything that you drink. Maybe you should check your water source to see if it is unclean.

As for something to drink as a substitute, I would recommend sparkling water with a lemon or some other fruit squeezed into it. That way you can fool yourself into thinking that you're drinking a soda but it's a much healthier alternative.

It’s from any water source I drink from. Tap, bottled, purified... any kind makes me sick
    And thanks for the advice!
  • BeauHg
    Options

All day, I’ve tried drinking it with an empty stomach, a full stomach, or just with a snack and nothing seems to work
  • BeauHg
    Options
    As noted above, all liquid, including soda, is primarily water. If this is only happening with tap water, I’d be really concerned there’s something wrong with it. I’ll put another vote in for seeing a doctor. In the meantime, you can hydrate with literally any beverage so long as it’s nonalcoholic.

Happens with any kind of water, not just tap, which is why I’m so confused about it
    It really makes no sense
  • nsprieg
    nsprieg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Water enhancers are getting quite cheap. You can get the Kroger or Walmart generics for $2.50-$2.68 on sale. Just be careful not to get the "electrolyte" sports versions. Yuck!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I struggle with drinking water too. I can easily go for days drinking only tea, which is dehydrating. It's really hard when it's cold outside. Lately, I've not been good at all. Two things help for me; one squeezing lemon juice into the water, and the other is drinking from a straw. I still have to force myself though. It also helps, if I'm really nauseated by the thought of water to drink, to drink a flavored unsweetened sparkling water. Sometimes, after having one, it helps to sort of stimulate thirst, and then water is more doable.

Just an FYI, but tea is not actually dehydrating - drinks with caffeine do have a mild diuretic effect (i.e. they make you pee more) but not enough to offset all that liquid. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965