views on fathead?

Options
has anyone seen the documentary fathead and have an opinion on the low-carb, high-fat diet he suggests? would allowing an excess of fats and proteins into our diet really makes us and our bodies happier? im so confused about what to believe

Replies

• Pinkribbon_Doc
    Options
    Great movie :) Kinda crappy the first 30 minutes or so, but the gist of it is really informative and great. My sister and I both have been following the low carb, high protein/high fat diet with great success! The science makes sense, and if you are interested in learning more pick up a book by Gary Taubes or read his blog. If you are fat and need to lose weight, then going low carb is the best option. If you are just looking to lose a few pounds, then cutting calories and exercise might be more effective. It's all about how your body's system is working whether your insulin is out of wack, or if you're body is reacting to blood sugars the way it should be.
  • cgan
    cgan Posts: 15
    Options
    Incredibly, the science behind 'fathead' is pretty sound. Our bodies work very efficiently when fat & protein are our fuels with carbs (from vegetables rather than grains) playing a supporting role.

My only issue with 'fathead' is that he eats fast food the whole time... I know, that's his point, but it grosses me out. I'd opt instead for higher quality meats (lean cuts, grass fed, free range etc) and throw in a lot of fresh vegetables (more greens, limited starches), this is a way to eat that is tasty, doesn't require nit-picky calorie counting and gives you the nutrients you need.
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have decided today to lower my carbs, I am going to follow Dr Charles Clark's guidelines with carbs cut to 60g and having healthy fats and lean protein. I have used it before and found it really good although I don't intend to use it for more than a couple of months as I get fed up of not having sandwiches and pasta etc. My ultimate goal is to eat a regular healthy balanced diet.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have decided today to lower my carbs, I am going to follow Dr Charles Clark's guidelines with carbs cut to 60g and having healthy fats and lean protein. I have used it before and found it really good although I don't intend to use it for more than a couple of months as I get fed up of not having sandwiches and pasta etc. My ultimate goal is to eat a regular healthy balanced diet.

This is the problem I have with Atkins too. I will not do anything these days that i do not intend to do for life. So no 'fad' diets just sound eating choices.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    All-in-all a fairly accurate and entertaining movie. I recommend it to anyone.
  • LDJones57
    LDJones57 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've watched it several times, introducing friends and fellow dieters to it. I pick up something new each time. His web site (http://www.fathead-movie.com/) is chock full of great info and links to other resources. It has definitely changed my perspective on a lot of the nutrition information I've been fed for the last 50 years...information that has NOT led to a healthier society. Since rethinking my approach and incorporating some of his ideas I've jump-started my weightloss. I have a long list of reading materials to delve deeper into his ideas.

I would highly recommend this film. But watch "Supersize Me" first so you can fully appreciate some of his wonderful humor! (i.e. the interview of his wife while she's reading in bed!)
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    I love it. I really agree with the overall message.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i dont agree.

of course he lost weight on a mcdonalds diet..calories in calories out yes thats true..and it was only for 28 days..lets see him do that for a few years and see how healthy he ends up.

and..food today is far different than food 60 years ago. especially meat. this guy basically went on an adkins like diet. adkins diets are NOT healthy in the long run..do they make you lose weight..sure..they are not healthy and can send you into diabetic ketoacidosis..which is when the body doesnt have enough carbs, it uses fats..so hence we need carbs to get glucose or fuel.

so i just went over into my ER and asked the ER Doc and two nurses..they said..high fat and cholesterol are contributing factors to heart disease. Its mostly genetics that is the issue. They said they see people in there who are obese with heart diease, look at their histories and most all have had a high fat diet. and occasionally they see the high fat fried food person who've ate bacon and beef their whole lives with perfect health. But, to be on the safe side..like smoking or radiation exposure (i'm an xray tech) its safer to not consume so much fats, or smoke or get too much radiation..since those last two are contributing factors to getting cancer..since the percentage is high of people who do these things that they'll get cancer. of course its possible for a perfectly healthy person who is vegetarian and doesnt smoke to have high cholesterol and cancer..but the odds are not there.

The percentage of people who eat fats end up with heart disease. Or their chances increase. So, it makes sense to eat healthy (lower fat foods, fresh veg and fruits) or you risk disease. But mostly its genetics. For me when i ate meat my cholesterol went up. its normal now..when your cholesterol goes up, it makes you more prone to artery disease which leads to heart disease. your arteries get plugged, which can cause strokes and heart attacks.

both these sides can be debunked in some fashion or another. but from what i see first hand in this ER i know the truth. i am a vegetarian, and i am very healthy with low cholesterol, no health issues..and i see tons..literally.of patients who are obese with heart disease..they are not obese because they are vegetarians..around this area..the south..its all about the fried foods, bacon grease and fat back. of course oils are bad..they are nothing but fat..vegetable oils that is. so according to this guy he just disproved himself. saying fats arent bad, yet veg oil is nothing but fat.

this guy isnt a scientist..he isnt a nutritionist..and has spun this to make it sound like mcdonalds isnt that bad for you. when most of their food is cooked or prepared in veg fats..including their meats.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I've recently given up low fat anything - cleaned out the chemicals and sugar and most processed carbs (I say most because I still have one slice of low GI toast in the morning - some things I know I'd just miss too much). No movement on the scale in either direction yet but I feel so. much. better. Honestly I have more energy, seem to require less sleep, and just generally feel clearer and healthier. Hoping the pounds start falling too!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    The 2010 version of Dietary Guidelines for Americans, a report issued by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services every five years states:

In prospective studies of adults, compared to non-vegetarian eating patterns, vegetarian-style eating patterns have been associated with improved health outcomes—lower levels of obesity, a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, and lower total mortality. Several clinical trials have documented that vegetarian eating patterns lower blood pressure.

A 2011 study published in the Journal of Agricultural And Food Chemistry stated that Vegetarians tend to have a lower body weight, less incidence of high blood pressure and lower overall cholesterol but have an increased risk of cardiovascular disease.[34] On average, vegetarians consume a lower proportion of calories from fat (particularly saturated fatty acids); fewer overall calories; and more fiber, potassium, and vitamin C than do non-vegetarians. Vegetarians generally have a lower body mass index. These characteristics and other lifestyle factors associated with a vegetarian diet may contribute to the positive health outcomes that have been identified among vegetarians.[35]

Modifiable risk factors to improve or prevent atherosclerosis (cardiovascluar disease) include: diet high in fibers from vegetables and nuts while low in saturated fat and cholesterol (vegetarian diet); tobacco cessation and avoidance of second-hand smoke; decreased alcohol consumption; lower blood pressures if elevated through the use of antihypertensive medications; strict diabetes management; decrease BMI if overweight or obese; increase daily activity to 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise; and decrease emotional stress in day to day life. (Sources: www.americanheart.org, www.world-heart-federation.org/cardiovascular-health/cardiovascular-disease-risk-factors/)
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    I am currently following the "fat head diet" to see if I can reproduce the results that he had in the documentary. I think it sounds like really solid science, and it makes sense to me personally because I was vegan for a year, and on a very high carb diet, and I gained a ton of weight and my health went to crap. And yes, I was eating super healthy, but I wasn't healthy at all. I feel great on this diet. And, everyone should check out his blog: www.fathead-movie.com

This really is something sustainable and it seems that there is a lot of research out there supporting it.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i dont agree.

of course he lost weight on a mcdonalds diet..calories in calories out yes thats true..and it was only for 28 days..lets see him do that for a few years and see how healthy he ends up.

this guy isnt a scientist..he isnt a nutritionist..and has spun this to make it sound like mcdonalds isnt that bad for you. when most of their food is cooked or prepared in veg fats..including their meats.

Did you watch the movie all the way through? He does not advocate eating McD's as a ay of life. He also didn't just eat all the fried foods off the menu. Nor does he ever claim to be a scientist. He had real scientists and nutritionists provide their expertise. What he did set out to prove is that there is more to the obesity problem than just fast food marketers in the US.
  • lady_daraine
    Options
    If you watch it for the science and the entertainment, it is great! Just do what he does with real food (meats, veggies, no fast food, for example) and you will feel amazing! He was making a point with the fast food thing, not recommending it. Also, his website is a great source of info and entertainment, so definitely check it out. He doesn't pretend he's an expert, which is nice, instead relying on doctors and other researchers to provide his info. Give it a try for a month with real food - at the least, you'll learn it doesn't work for you - but I bet it does!
  • nero14
    nero14 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have lost 57 lbs on this diet (need to update MFP #s).

my most common meals are:

two Jr BACON Cheeseburgers from wendys and a diet coke= 700 calories

or

two McDoubles and diet coke= 780 calories

and I've lost 57 lbs...

I also feel like my testosterone has spiked up a lot - I'm more confident, yeah a bit more agressive, but I can control that, and I'm more open to talking to girls and stuff... i guess that's the red meat.

i just wanted tto say YES THIS DOES WORK-- no question about it. However, you've got to do this diet under the calorie restricdtion of myfitness pal... I still only eat about 1,600 calories a day... but if I ate 2400 a day on the fathead diet- i would not lose weight...

I've also emailed Tom, the director, several times and he's pumped to see so many people are having success with the diet
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Nothing really revolutionary about the movie....except if you're still stuck in dinosaur mode and think the US RDA bible and other mainstream nutritional guidelines are what we should follow.

He maintains a calorie deficit and combines that with a substantial amount of low-impact exercises. Health markers will almost always improve when you lose weight.

I've only seen the movie once, so I'm not sure if the author covered this or not, but this was just a short-term demo to make a point. I hope people don't see this movie and use it as a license to eat fast food every day on a long-term basis.

Once you reach your ideal weight and your weight remains steady, continuing to eat fast food on a daily basis will increase your chances of bad things happening to your lipid profile.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    I was killing myself for years on a low-fat/ high-carb diet. I was fat, hungry, sick, and tired. On a high-fat diet, I am skinny (at least much much thinner than I was), very healthy, happy, and full of energy. I love Fathead because Tom explains things so well and shares info from some really brilliant people. I have told so many people to watch Fathead. The information is life changing. Also, Tom's blog is great: fathead-movie.com. ch-ch-check it out! :)
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    And to add- I do think it's best to watch calories to some degree... BUT...

if I eat 2000 calories a day of low-fat/high-carb food I am hungry all the time and have no energy.
    if I eat 2000 calories a day of high-fat/lowcarb food it takes longer for hunger pangs to come around and I have tons of energy that is consistant.

Also...
    to lose weight eating low-fat/high-carb foods I have to eat around 1500 cal a day.
    eating high-fat/low-carb foods, I average about 2500 cal a day and have been losing.

of course, this is my own personal experience. i can't speak for the bodies of others.

i'm a girl who likes to eat, so I'm gonna eat at a macro-ratio that lets ME consume more cals and still drop pounds :):)
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm following Atkins low-carb, and have lost a lot of weight, and feel incredibly healthy. One thing that really hit home with me, watching Fathead is that my mom just had what we thought was a stroke, but turned out to be seizures. For most of her life, she's been following the SAD, buying into the low-fat lie, and she's been on mediciine to control her cholestrol. The movie made the point that most women shouldn't be taking cholestrol meds, because of all of the side effects they cause, not least, stroke. So now, she'll be taking medication to control her seizures, which were probably a side effect of the cholestrol meds. If she would just change her eating to low-carb/high fat, she can control her cholestrol AND the seizures. Alas, she's 70, and I've tried talking to her about it. Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. And you can't undo years of lies from the government.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    has anyone seen the documentary fathead and have an opinion on the low-carb, high-fat diet he suggests? would allowing an excess of fats and proteins into our diet really makes us and our bodies happier? im so confused about what to believe

I would recommend Fathead to anyone who's ready to buck the conventional wisdom, and start seeing the truth about fat, cholestrol and carbs.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    The makers of "Fathead" went on to make "Big Fat Fiasco". Available in 5 short parts on Youtube and so worth watching. Really!
    I also recommend "Food Inc." by Robert Kenner.
    I am diabetic and I am living the Atkins lifestyle. I am taking less insulin than I ever have before and I am full of energy. My skin is clear and my hair is shiny. My doctor is thrilled and calls me her " Star Patient" It is really just a matter of thinking about how our early ancestors ate and lived. I have never been healthier and I am loving it!