Loosing weight and inches and miserable

Options
I finally got serious about my health. Have a wonderful trainer and exercise 5 x week. I am using MFP and after some initial failures can keep calories, protein, fats and carbs close to ideal. My biggest problem areas starting out was to little protein and too many refined carbs. I still have the biggest problem with getting enough protein. If I hadn't figured out that I could add in an extra scoop of protein powder in my smoothie I would have given up by now. The problem is I am really, really miserable. As an adult I have never eaten much before 4 p.m. If I could just eat all of my calories and nutrients at dinner I would be happy AND loose weight and gain muscle. What will happen if I quit trying to eat B-L-D and just get all my food at dinner? Thanks. p.s. I could manage a smoothie right before exercise if I had to.

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with the personally, but try searching OMAD or one meal a day here on the forums. I've seem some very interesting posts about this.

It's my understanding that it's a perfectly healthy way to eat as long as you can maintain an adequate calorie intake and keep a good macro balance.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, meal timing really doesn't matter. It matters WAY less than your ability to stick with your plan. If eating most of your calories in the evening means that you can stick with your changes in the long term, you should absolutely do that.
  • joelchmielak1
    joelchmielak1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Why does it make you miserable to eat during the day?
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    chill2525 wrote: »
    I finally got serious about my health. Have a wonderful trainer and exercise 5 x week. I am using MFP and after some initial failures can keep calories, protein, fats and carbs close to ideal. My biggest problem areas starting out was to little protein and too many refined carbs. I still have the biggest problem with getting enough protein. If I hadn't figured out that I could add in an extra scoop of protein powder in my smoothie I would have given up by now. The problem is I am really, really miserable. As an adult I have never eaten much before 4 p.m. If I could just eat all of my calories and nutrients at dinner I would be happy AND loose weight and gain muscle. What will happen if I quit trying to eat B-L-D and just get all my food at dinner? Thanks. p.s. I could manage a smoothie right before exercise if I had to.

Intermittent fasting is a real thing and works for many people.

Lots of info and links here on MFP:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=&search=intermittent+fasting
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I eat a light breakfast/lunch most days, but some days, just a large late lunch.

There's definitely something nice about eating one big full meal.

There's really no harm if it helps to keep you satisfied.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Meal-timing doesn't really matter when it comes to weight loss.

You may want to plan your meals around your workout schedule and find an eating window that works best for you. Some people like to work out fasted, others need the fuel. Play around and find something you enjoy.

I personally haven't eaten breakfast in years because I enjoy having a big dinner.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Eat when it makes you happy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people have successful weight loss either eating one meal per day or eating most of their calories in the evening. There's no reason not to do this if it's what you prefer.
  • chill2525
    chill2525 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eating during the day makes me miserable because I am not hungry. After a few bites I feel stuffed. It feels like what you feel like on a day where you overeat and then don't have access to movement, no exercise, no walks, no nothing. Almost on the verge of being sick. I have tried upping what I eat a little at a time but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Eating during the day makes me miserable because I am not hungry. After a few bites I feel stuffed. It feels like what you feel like on a day where you overeat and then don't have access to movement, no exercise, no walks, no nothing. Almost on the verge of being sick. I have tried upping what I eat a little at a time but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Why make yourself miserable that way?
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Eating one meal a day rather than breaking up that same number of calories into several meals won't make a difference.
    Eat when you want!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    The difference meal timing may have is minimal at best. If you want to eat a big dinner, then enjoy a big dinner. Maybe a post-workout shake just to give your muscles some quick absorbing protein, but other than that, if you're not hungry, don't eat.

I'm a big proponent of listening to our bodies (not cravings lol - there is a difference). If you're simply not hungry, then eat when you are.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    why couldn't you just eat after 4?

I don't eat until between 1-2 pm because I'm not hungry before then. I don't like eating "breakfast". Sometimes I don't eat until dinner. I've lost 110lbs at a rate of 1lb a week on average.

As long as you pre-plan and make sure you're getting adequate nutrition you could just eat after 4....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you can eat all your calories in one meal. your body doesnt care. do what works for you.
  • chill2525
    chill2525 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I am doing much better now. Can someone tell me what "You can use BBCode in your post means? It is on the bottom left of my screen.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I am doing much better now. Can someone tell me what "You can use BBCode in your post means? It is on the bottom left of my screen.

BBCode is like HTML in that it allows you to perform basic markup/formatting of your post.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Psalm1139 wrote: »
    Just eat when you want to! There is research to show that people lose more weight when they eat in a small window each day. Intermittent Fasting is what it's called. You can lose weight no matter what or when you eat if you have a calorie deficit!

What research?

Intermittent fasting doesn't modify or negate the laws of energy balance. It's very trendy and faddish right now, but there are a lot of pie in the sky claims about it that aren't backed by evidence.