Sweet tooth

Options
I have a serious sweet tooth and have gained a lot of wdight in the last few years! Does anyone have any tips or ideas to overcome my bad habit?!

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Log calories and allow yourself a sweet treat when it fits in your calories allowance. If you don't have good self control, then don't buy large amounts of sweets - just get a single serve portion when you indulge. Fit treats that satisfy you but fit into your budget. Lately I have been having the Oikos Protein Crunch yogurt. It is a Greek yogurt that have chocolate pieces to stir in. At 160 calories and 17g of protein, it easily fits into my daily goals.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There are usually two types of people, when it comes to taming the sweet tooth, abstainers or moderators.

Abstainers cannot have any sweets. One bite causes them to freak out and eat all the things. These type of people have to go cold turkey.

Moderators can have some sweets. In fact, abstaining from them completely can cause them to freak out and eat all the things. I'm this one. I save ~200 calories for dessert every night, usually chocolate or ice cream.

You first need to figure out which type you are. Then began to practice your new habit.

Good luck!
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    There are usually two types of people, when it comes to taming the sweet tooth, abstainers or moderators.

Abstainers cannot have any sweets. One bite causes them to freak out and eat all the things. These type of people have to go cold turkey.

Moderators can have some sweets. In fact, abstaining from them completely can cause them to freak out and eat all the things. I'm this one. I save ~200 calories for dessert every night, usually chocolate or ice cream.

You first need to figure out which type you are. Then began to practice your new habit.

Good luck!

This is great. I've tried both abstaining and moderating. Abstaining completely caused me to have occasional binges, so I moderate. I save room for dessert every night, typically from 100-200 calories, and I stay away from dessert items that are not already portioned out. Meaning, I don't make cakes, but I might make cupcakes. I don't buy ice cream, I buy ice cream bars. If I do make cookies or cupcakes, I sometimes immediately put them in the freezer (if they are the type that will freeze well) and I'll make it a point to only remove one from the freezer at dinnertime. If I only thaw one thing, I only have one thing to eat. This keeps me from mindless overeating.

I also completely stay away from sweets until after dinner, as I find if I have a cookie or something during the day, I'm more likely to overindulge throughout the remainder of the day.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »

Good luck!

This is great. I've tried both abstaining and moderating. Abstaining completely caused me to have occasional binges, so I moderate. I save room for dessert every night, typically from 100-200 calories, and I stay away from dessert items that are not already portioned out. Meaning, I don't make cakes, but I might make cupcakes. I don't buy ice cream, I buy ice cream bars. If I do make cookies or cupcakes, I sometimes immediately put them in the freezer (if they are the type that will freeze well) and I'll make it a point to only remove one from the freezer at dinnertime. If I only thaw one thing, I only have one thing to eat. This keeps me from mindless overeating.

I also completely stay away from sweets until after dinner, as I find if I have a cookie or something during the day, I'm more likely to overindulge throughout the remainder of the day.

Oh, man. Total truth here ^^.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Find the best kind of boundaries for you. You'll have to think and try, ask and feel: Does regular meals, or snacking all day, work best for you - not just for what you want NOW, but to reach your goals? Does a small bite satisfy you, or does it just increase your cravings? Do you feel good when your pantry is filled with goodies, or does it constantly call your name? Do you do well with substitutions, or do you need the real deal? Do you eat to ease anxiety, or are you bored? Do you need more balanced and varied meals? Is a daily treat best, or a weekly, or monthly, or yearly? Is it just a bad habit, or are you compulsively overeating? Is it a even bad habit, or is it normal consumption, just in conflict with some ideal diet?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »

Good luck!

Oh, man. Total truth here ^^.

This is true for me too. I moderate easily if I save dessert for immediately post dinner, but not as well if I snack on that kind of stuff at work, then I am likely to want to keep eating it.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I buy snack size bags of candy. Twix, Dove, Dove mini ice cream, Godiva truffles. You get the idea. That way I can just eat one. One is usually under 100 cals and easily will fit into my macros and satisfy my sweet tooth.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I can't disagree with others on here...log everything you eat and if you want the sweets then have them if they fit into your macros. Don't try to change what kind of food you eat and completely deprive yourself, b/c that never works.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I am a moderator, but have to be a very strict one. I cannot buy treats at home that I am the only one who eats, because I will eat it all in a day. But if I try to go completely without, I will buy out whatever catches my eye at the store, and binge on it till it's all gone.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If my sweet tooth is out of control (like it is now), I have to start out as an abstainer. Once the cravings dip, I can moderate. I have all the healthy little controlled portions at the house, but right now if I eat one, I end up eating 4. Not good.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a sweet tooth and I have some type of sweet every night for dessert. I can have sweets in my house and eat the amount a serving. Although I also have a tendency to grab a cracker or a cookie if I leave the bag sitting out. If it is in the cabinet I pretty much forget about it.
  • kdiffily
    kdiffily Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a serious sweet tooth! I’ve been losing for 3.5 months — basically cut out desserts completely for the 1st 2-3 weeks until the crazy sugar cravings subsided. Been moderating ever since — I’m pretty amazed at how much less I want/*need* sweet things.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't buy sweets. Not hard for me to resist temptation in the grocery store but if I bring home a bag of cookies or those "fun size" candy bars, one serving is gonna be the whole bag.

I have a teaspoon of brown sugar when porridge is on the breakfast menu. Sometimes in the evening I'll bake a sliced apple with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. That's about it since my last sugar binge a couple months ago; an entire large box of instant pudding & pie filling mix in one sitting. Don't buy that anymore either.

Full disclosure:
    Almost forgot last weekend's cornbread french toast with maple syrup.