Low calorie vs low carb...and it goes on

Options
Hey folks!

In the past I’ve had lots of success with no/low carb diets. As a more mature mama now, I’ve tried low calories and it just doesn’t work as well. (Same amount if exercise with both) I know some of the slowdown is age (won’t lose as fast at 40 as you did at 20!), but wondering if you think some diets work for different people better than others or it’s just calories in, calories out? I’d like to keep on the low cal vs. low carb, because it just logically feels better to show my kids I’m eating whole grains and fruits, etc. Would love your thoughts! Thanks!

Replies

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I try to get a higher amount of protein in since it keeps me full better on less calories, otherwise I don't bother counting carbs or fat. I stick to 1200 calories five days a week/1500-2000 calories two days a week.

Whatever gets the calorie deficiency for you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Some people lose easier on low carb. Some don't. It seems those with insulin resistance are usually the ones who lose better when they eat fewer carbs. I am one of them. :)

I am fine eating low carb, or even no carb/carnivore in front of my kids because I know it is a healthy diet. TBH, I limit their sugars, refined grains, and even whole grains (rice, corn) because it is not as nutritious as veggies and fruits in my eyes. ;)

Do what works best for you and your health.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    The reason you lose weight low carb is the same reason you lose weight on any other diet - your calories in are less than your calories out. Some people find low carb a good tool for weight loss because they tend to overeat carb heavy foods (pasta, breads, etc.) and once they restrict carbs, their carb cravings decrease. At the end of the day, low carb works because you are eating less food than you were before, and less food = less calories.
  • ZiggySquish
    ZiggySquish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started last year with lower calories, I lost about 15 lbs at first but then became stuck around 160-165. I started lifting weights instead of just doing cardio in October, didn't lose anything but gained a lot of strength and felt better. For some reason I decided to do no sugar after Thanksgiving, which then turned into Keto the day after that. In 15 years I've never been able to get below 155. Today I weighed in at 148.4. I'm averaging about 1400 cals a day, I strength train 2-3 times a week, and still try to do at least 20 minutes of cardio a few times a week. It may just be that I switched it up but I personally think low-carb (for some people) definitely helps you lose weight faster than just counting calories alone.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe different diets work better for different people. I think finding the diet that seems the most comfortable to you is very important for long term success. The more deprived you feel they less likely you are to stick with it.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,979 Member
    Options
    My best success at losing weight was when I gave up bread and pasta one Lent. I was also running 3x a week on the Galloway method. I've started a Keto diet lately, but I'm wondering if I've gone "too extreme" with my carb deficit, especially if I plan to keep running. I may need to bring in more vegetable and fruit-based carbs, so even if I go over my macro allowance, it's still not the bread, pasta, and potatoes that I was previously eating.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,422 Member
    Options
    Do low carb if you think you'll still be eating low carb in the future, past your weight loss. It's not about going on a diet but making a lifestyle change that lasts. If you only only intend to go low carb for a few months you don't learn what to eat once you've reached your goal weight.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    jenhhere wrote: »
    I’d like to keep on the low cal vs. low carb, because it just logically feels better to show my kids I’m eating whole grains and fruits, etc.

I have the same thoughts when it comes to my diet! I want to teach my kids well balanced nutrition and one way to do that is through example. So I am not cutting out any foods. I am not eliminating food groups. And I am not doing severe calorie restriction. I am eating all things in moderation, exercising regularly (both weight lifting and running), and maintaining a modest calorie deficit. It may slow down the weight loss, but I want to teach my kids a healthy approach to diet and exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jenhhere wrote: »
    Hey folks!

In the past I’ve had lots of success with no/low carb diets. As a more mature mama now, I’ve tried low calories and it just doesn’t work as well. (Same amount if exercise with both) I know some of the slowdown is age (won’t lose as fast at 40 as you did at 20!), but wondering if you think some diets work for different people better than others or it’s just calories in, calories out? I’d like to keep on the low cal vs. low carb, because it just logically feels better to show my kids I’m eating whole grains and fruits, etc. Would love your thoughts! Thanks!

Low carb is an elimination diet. It doesn't work "better" or differently than lower calorie. It may be easier to count low carb (because you have eliminated calorie dense things).....in may result in a higher % of water weight loss in the beginning, but BOTH methods (and all other methods) rely on you lowering your calories.

"Lots of success" - I used to think this way too. But it's weight loss AND weight maintenance. So, no I really haven't had success with low carb, meal replacement, etc. I've been on too many diets to count. Success will require me to manage portions of all foods.....forever.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I did low carb with my wife about 15 years ago...lasted about 2 weeks...5+ years ago when I decided I really needed to drop some weight I just cut back on calories (I wouldn't exactly call it low calorie)...lasted 9 months and dropped 40 Lbs and have maintained for about 5 years this spring. I did reduce carbs when I was cutting weight because it's the easiest macro to flex...but I didn't go low carb...I was typically 130-150 grams per day depending...

Comparing 2 weeks low carb with my first 2 weeks of cutting back on calories I'd say results were pretty much the same...but I was miserable on low carb so no way I could stick it out for the long haul.

Low carb is just one of many ways to control calorie intake...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Low carb is just one of many ways to control calorie intake...

This, IMO is where the rubber meets the road. No more, no less...
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It's all about CICO, but different foods provide different satiety levels for different people.

Some people find fiber-rich carbs very filling. Others find lean proteins filling. Others find high-fat foods filling.

It sounds like you had success with low-carb because you found the combo of high fat and moderate protein filling, thus allowing you to naturally stick to a calorie deficit.

With that knowledge, add more fats and proteins to your diet and see how you feel. You don't need to cut out carbs entirely if you enjoy them - just find a way of eating that keeps you full and at a calorie deficit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Do low carb if you think you'll still be eating low carb in the future, past your weight loss. It's not about going on a diet but making a lifestyle change that lasts. If you only only intend to go low carb for a few months you don't learn what to eat once you've reached your goal weight.

Making changes for life is a good idea, but there really is no reason to think you can't try a diet you aren't sure you'll want to eat forever. You can absolutely try a diet out to see how you like it and then switch to something else if it's not working for you. You can even purposely choose to do it for a limited time without guaranteeing failure.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    For weight up/down, it's calories in/out. I wonder what you mean by work well, and by low calorie. If you keep the calorie intake the same, you'll lose at the same rate, depending on how much you have to lose. If you by work well mean that you could easily stick to your calorie target, I'd highly encourage going back to low carb. If it was just that you ate too little when going low cal, then I'd suggest you eat at the same calorie levels as you did when eating low carb. You can show your kids that you can get proper nutrition through a wide range of diets, and that weight is regulated by appropriate amounts of food, not types of food.

Age and exercise isn't that important in this puzzle (and by puzzle I mean mathematical equation and practical solutions, not riddle or mystery).