Following an online fitness program

Options
If you were to follow an online fitness program to get into shape, would it bother you if you had to "purchase" equipment to do the program or would you rather do body weight stuff so you didn’t have to buy anything? Below is an example of some options. Let me know in the comments your thoughts.

- Bodyweight training “think insanity” (nothing to buy)
- Weight training “think p90x” (dumbbells needed)
- Sandbag fitness training (Sandbag needed)

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you hope to achieve from the program and if you're going to use them beyond the program.

I personally want to maintain as much muscle as possible whilst I lose weight and then want to re-comp when I get to goal weight so I know I need to lift heavy, so I invested in a Barbell/Dumbbell set which I have been actively using for over 12 months and adding additional plates to. I bought them and then found a suitable program online, rather than the other way around.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym that works for me within reach and no possibility to do anything other than bodyweight exercises without jumping or faster movements in my flat, and no space to store big dumbbells. So that's what I'm currently doing. No equipment needed, nor possible.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Go by the best program, not equipment needed, if you have the means to get it.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Market research?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I started doing bodyweight exercises this past fall and really enjoy them - I don't have any visible muscle growth (see also: female, over-fat, eating at a deficit) but I feel stronger, my balance has noticeably improved, and I have more energy during the day. I enjoy the variety as well as the sense that I'm making practical, tangible improvements to how my body functions. Seeing as this is the one free option on your list, I don't see a downside to giving it a try before you buy anything unless you are sure you won't enjoy it. Also, you can add impromptu dumbbells to some exercises (I use laundry detergent containers filled with water) to see if that's a direction you want to go in.