Exercise & TOM {Ladies}

Options
Do you lessen, your exercise routine; during your TOM or cease it? I've been going through premature menopause, since April 2016 at age 36; I just began regularly exercising again this Monday but've chosen to halve my abdominal & leg exercises, yet I feel sick, despite this! Does anyone else, get sick exercising; during their TOM?

Replies

• RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    With my TOM, I take it day by day. Mine is especially heavy for ~3 days so I either do as much as I can or I skip days as needed. I haven’t gotten sick exercising but I do feel really weak.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    With my TOM, I take it day by day. Mine is especially heavy for ~3 days so I either do as much as I can or I skip days as needed. I haven’t gotten sick exercising but I do feel really weak.

Thank you immensely, for your response! Yeah I always get weak, therefore I'd never do public exercising; like swimming & it's also why, I am halving; my lower body exercises but within my apartment it doesn't matter, if I must rest; upon my equipment because no 1's waiting, for it but this' the 1st time, that I've gotten; a headache, some dizziness & feel like vomiting, via it!
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you’re getting dizzy, headache, and feel like vomiting you may want to skip those days Or maybe do some light stretching or go for a short walk. :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I do what I can. I find that since I started strength training, particularly abs work, TOM cramps and other symptoms have lessened. Some months, all I have to deal with is a little extra water weight annoying me on the scale. Occasionally, it's worse and I take things a bit slower. Or pop a couple of Midol and keep going.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I adjust accordingly..whether it be dropping weight or decreasing reps...but I usually do the former and keep my sets & reps the same.

I just do what I can and realize that something is better than nothing.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't get sick during I just have a harder time getting started. I am also more self concious about classes like yoga. I just use a feminine spray, grab some tampons and push through what I normally do. I find that once I'm all done with my workout my cramps significantly lessen. With the sickness which I do experience before working out during the morning usually I just munch on a few crackers to keep something mild in my stomach. That usually helps.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    No. I 've been on painkillers every 4h over last 3 days and barely slept while waiting on my TOTM.
    Got blinding headaches ,stomach cramps and upset stomach,nausea and my whole body hurts.

Managed yoga today and not beating myself over it. I love working out so nothing to do with motivation I just get it bad and no idea why and frustrates me no end .
    So I take it easy,do what I can and get back to working out 4,5x a week once I'm better.

There s no right or wrong way you just do what feels best for you .
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, for your insight! I did the same amount of exercising tonight, as I did; the prior night & I am just somewhat dizzy, I believe that plausibly it was a sudden shock; to my system & that I'm getting, use to it now!
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I tend to keep my cardio as is during shark week. Everything else I go day by day. But I've found that cardio seems to lessen the symptoms (other than the fatigue, which there's no really managing anyways). I can usually do strength exercises though that don't have a lot of ab contractions or weight being put on them (so bring on glute bridges and reverse crunches). I also might do some light recovery yoga as well just to help with shutting off some of the mental stuff (I found that it helped a lot with the headaches, and even gave me a break from the fatigue since it was more restful yoga).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Intense exercise triggers mine to start ... so if I'm halfway through a 200 km bicycle ride and suddenly the flood-gates open, I'm not about to stop. I have to finish the ride.

I'm perimenopausal and one of the many symptoms of that is dizziness and nausea the day before my periods start. For about a year it was before every single one, and sometimes the dizziness was so bad, I could hardly walk. But then that went away and other symptoms started up for the next year or 18 months or so. And then it returned accompanied by hot flashes ... so dizziness, nausea and hot flashes the day or two before each period. I was living on ginger tablets. But since August, that's all gone away.
  • ashleyrebekah392
    ashleyrebekah392 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I usually continue like normal but some months it's rough and I feel sick after a workout. Like today for instance my stomach just hurts and I just feel tired now. Usually though I don't change my routine. I did take some ibuprofen to help with the pain of the cramps and back ache.
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yoga and stretching feel good when I am having TOM symptoms which is not very often thankfully.
  • julesEMS2016
    julesEMS2016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to my workout schedule then just don't push as hard on a bad day. I have endometriosis and have found that exercise actually helps me feel better during that TOM. But like I said, if it's a bad day I just take it a bit easier.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    On the first day I dare not to go for leg day, rest is fine.
  • zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone said, I just pay closer attention to my body and if I need to stop (sometimes I get kind of dizzy) I stop and take a break.

That said, I actually make sure to do Abs EVERY day during my period. It's hard to force myself at first but man does it help with cramping and bloating for me.