HIIT vs. Steady State vs. Aerobic Intervals - which is best?

Options
2»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Good article... it’s always been my opinion, something is better than nothing. Might as well do something you enjoy.
  • PetiteHabanero
    PetiteHabanero Posts: 44 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    SurfyPants wrote: »
    I like all of them, they help vary my routine.

I do HIIT 2-3 times a week and really enjoy it.

I enjoy HIIT too! What do you like to do?
  • PetiteHabanero
    PetiteHabanero Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    litoria wrote: »
    I like all of them, they help vary my routine.

Me too. Keeps things interesting and I find I'll stay with it if I mix thing up a bit. It can also be fun to experiment on yourself :-)

Very true indeed!
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    To me this is a good better best argument. Having some activity is good, doing something with regularity is better, doing a tailored program best suited for your goals is best. To me, "being fit" is not a goal, as it lacks specificity.

I would be better off doing crossfit or the sort for my regular mountaineering objectives is certainly better than nothing, but trying to do technical climbing on a glacier over 20,000' this summer hiit alone is not going to get me there.

Articles as the one linked are logical, the general population is out of shape and if you lack a clear and specific objective , doing something over nothing is great.

Otherwise, I live by Jan olbrecht's advice, veering from the program for entertainment purposes is not a valid reason to veer from the program.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    To me this is a good better best argument. Having some activity is good, doing something with regularity is better, doing a tailored program best suited for your goals is best. To me, "being fit" is not a goal, as it lacks specificity.

I would be better off doing crossfit or the sort for my regular mountaineering objectives is certainly better than nothing, but trying to do technical climbing on a glacier over 20,000' this summer hiit alone is not going to get me there.

Articles as the one linked are logical, the general population is out of shape and if you lack a clear and specific objective , doing something over nothing is great.

Otherwise, I live by Jan olbrecht's advice, veering from the program for entertainment purposes is not a valid reason to veer from the program.

Performance goals override everything else.
  • samantharmaggard
    samantharmaggard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Good article... it’s always been my opinion, something is better than nothing. Might as well do something you enjoy.

I love HIIT because I can change it up every time. Also, I spend so much of my time lifting that I need to do a quick cardio.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, some people used to laugh at my ACE certification. Having access to all the articles, I should go back and post some of the more interesting ones like this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

ACE was my second cert after I graduated college and had my board cert with NATA. I actually thought the ACE program itself was well structured and worthy. ASCM recognition was always the gold standard, but I don't think they had a personal training certification until after 2000, and I was just moving out of the field to computers again.

ACSM had a Personal Training cert starting in the mid-1990s (I got one in 1998), but it wasn’t a very good program at the start. In those days, training and even resistance exercise were not really an important part of the ACSM approach (my observation at the time).

It’s better now.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Note the study participants were initially not active. If you are even an amateur-not-super-competitive-do-it-for-fun endurance athlete you want a mix of long aerobic and high intensity as part of your plan (and if hours are limited... middle intensity too). And it happens to be more fun because you mix it up.

So...it shouldn't be an either/or thing. It should be a when and how much thing.