Olive Garden help please

Options
My sister is taking the kids & I out to dinner at Olive Garden tonight for supper.
I had a pasta dish at lunch and racked up some cals there. Don't need another heavy meal or more pasta.
Would you all share some suggestions here. I need to be able to order something tasty and still healthy.
I am not a picky eater and love most anything so fire away.
Need some help here....

Thanks in advance.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• janiecorona
    Options
    Olive garden has calories posted for every dish on their menu. Just stay away from the free bread sticks!
  • lvigue
    lvigue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would say fish and rice pilaf? Swordfish, scallps, salmon, shrimp, all very good, healthy and lower cal than beef or creamy pasta sauces, etc. Good luck!
  • robinellis
    Options
    here's the link to there nutritional information. should give you a great amount of info before you go and get overwhelmed by the menu. always plan ahead and you will never get flustered and eat to many calories!

http://www.olivegarden.com/Menu/Nutrition/
  • lpirie
    lpirie Posts: 24
    Options
    venetian chicken. it is in the 300 ish calories. Just grilled chicken and veggies. Stay away from the salad they bring too they put a lot of dressing on and its iceburg lettuce so its not even good for you.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    They have a really great chicken dish, it's one of their healthier options. Check on the menu online before you go!
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    I love Olive Garden! Everytime I go I always get the Chicken Parm, but I get it grilled and light on the cheese. It's A TON less cals than fried and still tastes GREAT!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    All of their soups are yummy and less calories than the salad with dressing.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    LOL OLIVE GARDEN THE KING OF FAT,last time I went there I are 2 orders of mussels low fat high protein,but ya gotta love seafood,but that place taste great for being the devils kitchen. 2500803.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • louc1989
    Options
    I love the minestrone soup and it's only 100 calories! I usually have the soup and one breadstick because together it's only a 250 calorie meal. Be careful with the salad because it can rack up over 300 calories by itself with the dressing.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love Olive Garden! Everytime I go I always get the Chicken Parm, but I get it grilled and light on the cheese. It's A TON less cals than fried and still tastes GREAT!
  • pbeans
    pbeans Posts: 42
    Options
    The apricot chicken dish is really yummy and low in calories.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I went to http://www.olivegarden.com/Menu/Garden-Fare/ and was looking at the Apricot Chicken or maybe the Grilled Salmon.

I love their salads too but I don't want to rack up a bunch of cals there either.
    Maybe if I don't have a breadstick...have a salad with half my meal, and package up the rest, I will do fine.

What do you all order when you go?
  • ShannonPuentes
    ShannonPuentes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The minnestroni soup is very good. If you do decide to get an entree, ask the waiter/waitress for a take out box and immediately put half your meal in the box. This will help fight any temptation to eat the whole dinner while you are at the restaurant.

OHH- AND GO EASY ON THE BREAD STICKS :tongue:
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips & help.
    I was looking to stay under the 500 mark but even with the apricot chicken OR grilled salmon choice plus the salad, it will be over that.
    {heavy sigh}
    Guess I need to go run some more hills to pre-plan.

How do they manage to make the Mixed Grill so high in cals??? This person wants to know! Geesh it is only "skewered chicken marinated in Italian herbs and extra-virgin olive oil. Served with broccoli and grilled vegetables."
    I am sure it tastes heavenly but I don't understand what they are doing back in that kitchen that adds so many cals.
    Maybe it's a huge portion...I just don't know.
    I plan to take your advice though.
    Plan ahead. Stay away from the breadsticks. Wrap up half my meal.
    Can you order the table salad with the dressing on the side????
    I will stick with ice water.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I love the minestrone soup and it's only 100 calories! I usually have the soup and one breadstick because together it's only a 250 calorie meal. Be careful with the salad because it can rack up over 300 calories by itself with the dressing.

That is just what I was going to say, stick with soup and salad. Pick out most croutons, no oil or dressing (just lemon juice, if you need something on there) and you'll do great!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Can you order the table salad with the dressing on the side????
    I will stick with ice water.

Yes. Sometimes I forget to tell them and have to send the entire bowl back, but as long as you are going in prepared, you can ask them right away to bring out salad with no dressing. GL!
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love Olive Garden! I get the mussels and an order of bruschetta (only eat 3 slices) every time, and a salad +cheese with the dressing on the side.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I love love love the Portabello Mushroom Ravioli. ::drool::
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love Olive Garden so this is where I indulge! To help not over eat, I always as the waiter for a box before I start eating, and put half my meal (I like the seafood alfredo) into the box. I also limit myself to two breadsticks. I read somewhere that a lot of the dishes at Olive Garden are two or three servings.