popcorn help

Options
hi, i am sorry this may be a dumb question and i am stumped. popcorn when i type it in the food section, it says 55 calories for 1 cup/11g . now when i go to unpopped popcorn it says it is 390 calories for 1/2 cup. why am i getting so confused, i just want some popcorn i can pop on the stove but have no idea how many calories i am going to have or what to record on my food data base ' please any help will help . sorry if this is a dumb question

bluff

Replies

• blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    A 1/2 cup of kernels is more than a cup of popped corn
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Does the package you have note whether that 1/2 cup is for cooked or pre cooked?
  • Chrissy2627
    Options
    what does the label on the bag say? I would go with that.
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    my bet is that the first one is the value for popped popcorn - the 1/2 C of unpopped, when popped up would be many many more multiple C of popped corn, thus the higher count. Pop your corn and then count how many cups you eat. Mmmm. luv'n me some popcorn!
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think it's all to do with if you weigh it before or after you pop the popcorn. So a 1/2 cup unpopped is going to be a lot more than a 1/2 cup after it is popped...I don't feel like I explained that too well, sorry! xx

You can get a lot of unpoppped corn kernels in a 1/2 cup - it would probably make a movie-size bag of popcorn.

So if you are weighing the corn after it is popped stick with the first measurement.

Man I am bad at explaining stuff, sorry....
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I would go with the package you have BUT make sure you are using the "POPPED" calorie values... I know on my microwave popcorn it gives 2 values one for unpopped corn and one for popped corn... The unpopped will be higher in calories

hope this helps!
  • Skinny_foodie
    Options
    It also may have something to do with whats on the popcorn.. (butter, seasonings etc). but I agree with everyone else, a half cup of unpopped popcorn is going to be more then a cup of popped corn

Good luck and enjoy your snack!!
  • bluffskruff
    bluffskruff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    it is from a shop called trader joes, it is in a container, you just weigh how much you want , the kernels that is
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would just pop 1/2 cup of kernels and then measure how many cups of POPPED corn it makes and decide how many of those cups you want to eat.
  • hiphickhen70
    Options
    1/2 kernels = approx 20 cups of popcorn = 30 calories x 20 = 600 calories (that's hot air popped). Don't forget to add butter! Yummy! My favorite snack. Trouble is, I could easily eat 20 cups & I do!!! Good thing I'm active.