How to measure rice?

If I want an ounce equivalent of rice, how much would I measure of cooked rice? Should I use a cup or scale, grams ounces? Feeling discouraged now that I am having such a difficult time.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I weigh the uncooked rice and log that weight (making sure to use an entry for uncooked rice).

• rcervetto
    rcervetto Posts: 57 Member
    If you are making your own rice, measure it dry. Rice should always be measured dry because the cooked weight can vary tremendously depending on how much water is used and how long it is cooked.

If you are getting rice from a restaurant, you'll have to use your best guess for measurement assuming they don't provide nutrition information. You'll also want to verify whether they add anything else to their rice (sugar, broth, etc.), you'd be surprised what places will do to make food "tasty" and how many calories it can add.
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    The usda database has an entry for cooked rice you can use that entry and weigh it. That is probably pretty close and saves a bit of work.
  • Jeepfreak81
    Jeepfreak81 Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2018
    My wife and I struggle with this also, mostly because we have a rice cooker and we'll cook parboiled rice and try to accurately log what we ate. Sometimes there's left overs, sometimes I eat more of it, sometimes she does. Measuring it prior isn't practical for us because we don't always eat it all and we share. We decided to just err on the side of caution and estimate a bit high base on the percentage we ate out of the cooker. We only have rice 1 or 2 times a week anyway.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    if you are making a large batch - here is what i do - weight it raw, make a recipe in MFP with that information - my is labelled travel rice because that is why i made it last time - then when the rice is cooked enter the serving size you desire (I typically use 10g or 1oz) based on the weight of the final product
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    weight of cooked rice depends a lot on the type of rice and on how much water is absorbed. So I would also cook raw. I just cooked 62gr of basmati rice in my little rice cooker, which is less than a half-cup for that particular cooker (rice cooker cups are different than US cups generally), but it still came out perfectly
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    If you want to use dry rice figures then weigh the total amount of dry rice you're going to cook, then weigh again when it's cooked and drained, if necessary, and weigh your cooked portion. The amount of dry rice you have consumed is then

Total dry weight x your cooked portion weight ÷ total cooked weight

Packets of rice in the UK give calories for cooked weight (but tell you what dry weight of rice is equivalent to a cooked portion, so you can work it out that way, if you want) - I always use this and I am losing at the expected rate, so it can't be far out...
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    If I am cooking rice (or pasta) just for me I will measure it uncooked using a scale. If I am cooking for the family I will measure it uncooked and divide by 3 for just my serve to get the calories. Once cooked I will weigh again and divide by 3 to get my serving size.