Missed 7 days (and counting of workouts)

Options
Hi. I began working out for the first time in over 15 years about 4 weeks ago and two weeks ago I started a fitness boot camp. I have really bad social anxiety and am definitely the most out of shape person there but I stuck with it and did well my first week until I went one day I couldn't get motivated and ended up so embarrassed and down on myself that I cried. Well, the next two days class was cancelled due to the weather, and then the 3rd and 4th day came, and I made excuses and didn't go. Also on that 4th day, I had dental work done that revealed an abscess that left me in severe pain, on antibiotics and painkillers, and when today came, I knew I would not be able to handle working out. Now on day 7 of no workout, I'm still in pain from the dental work, but even more unmotivated to go because I was already the slowest person there, and I feel like after a week of no workouts I'm going to be so far behind that I can't catch up. I've already paid for this class, so I'm not sure if I should just give up because I'm so far behind, or go back and try to get back on task (that's if I ever stop being in pain from the infection)?

Replies

• GothicsDarkAngel
    GothicsDarkAngel Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you are miserable, find something else to do that keeps you moving. If you have crippling social anxiety, maybe an at home workout would better suit you for the time being.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Don't make yourself do something that you dread. That serves no purpose. I agree with the above poster... If you have severe social anxiety Then do some workouts at home. Hugs to you
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be working out hard with an infection. Your body needs to rest and recover. Can you contact them and get a raincheck for a time when you aren't sick? Maybe you could start over with a different session.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have really terrible social anxiety with a bit of weird agoraphobia that presents as I'd rather be a stranger than walk out my door and bump into 20 people I know.

So I workout at home using Fitness Blender (Youtube and their own website which is brilliant) with the odd other Youtube thrown into the mix. It can be a problem self motivation wise but I do a lot better with motivating myself to stand up and do it at home as opposed as getting organised, getting out the door and to a class/gym. It just wouldn't happen.

Explore your options, it's not boot camp or bust.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Go. Get the work done.
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you have tooth pain or an infection, you have to take care of that first. That may mean no exercise until it heals.
    As far as boot camp, is it too late to get your money back? I wouldn't do something that made me cry. Find something fun to do for exercise. In order to make exercise a life long habit, you really have to enjoy exercising. Do something fun and be happy. I send you hugs.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you find that going back is what you want to do, talk to the instructor and just let them know what has been going on. I'll all but guarantee that they can find a way for you to participate within your abilities.

Unless the instructor is really unobservant, they know how your abilities stacked up in comparison with everyone else's. Every fitness class has a bell curve in terms of where people are and what they can do, and it's the instructor's job to teach to/teach for every single person in the class. They'll be used to people missing a few days and catching up. They'll be used to people getting sick or having some other reason (like dental work) for needing to modify the workout. Unless they're a very new instructor, you're not telling them something they haven't dealt with before.

If you decide that going back isn't what you want to do, you have lots of options for working out at home. Some people have already mentioned some -- Fitness Blender is good -- but don't overlook the value of just walking. That's an effective option too.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dont do something you hate for crying out loud.

find another activity you enjoy.

i love zumba, and did it for about a year. i was the worst one in there. i didnt care. i had a BLAST. im as uncoordinated as a drunk hippo but damned if i didnt have fun and burn a shitton of calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Find something that you might enjoy doing then you might feel more like doing it.

Hope your toothache goes soon, there's nothing worse :/