DASH diet?

Options
Hello :-)
I have just begun phase one of the DASH diet and I would love to connect with anyone else who is doing this in order to compare notes and share recipes etc. I am following the DASH diet for weight loss guidelines to the letter right now because I am worried about my blood pressure which has been high for the past few months. Weight loss is an added bonus. My main goal is to develop new healthy eating habits. I figured I should switch my diet to that of the 40something year old woman I am rather than still eating like a teenager. haha.

Replies

• emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    just bumping in case anyone happens to be on a similar path and wants to chat
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I tried to find a group for DASH dieters here. No such thing. Best thing I could find is a "Women of a certain age group". Many seniors like the DASH program. You might find someone there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/320-woman-of-a-certain-age
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    OP-just spent some time looking into it more and it looks like a very solid plan, (the original one, not the diet book spinoff). Very similar to what I'm doing now but a bit more structured. I'm struggling right now because my 'healthy' nuts, seeds, olives etc are getting out of control, (several servings a day). I like how the plan gives daily/weekly recommendations for the different categories. I might have to give it a whirl :)
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I liked the DASH diet. I liked that you could find information about it for free online without the need to buy a book. It did work for me. Then I sorted out what were my food intolerances with my doctor and the diet became more difficult with my restrictions so I have wandered away from it. I tried the higher fat DASH diet and it worked too.

Home cooking it is. Watch the nuts. They add up. Also watch your servings of fruit. Our fruits are bigger than they use to be. I also found the protein to be a bit low for my needs.

Good luck! And founding a Dash diet group would be great. It is not a well known diet but it is relatively simple, very well supported in the medical community, does not restrict food groups and information is available free. Also no special foods required. A little known winner. Perhaps not a "sexy" as some diets but sustainable.
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    I liked the DASH diet. I liked that you could find information about it for free online without the need to buy a book. It did work for me. Then I sorted out what were my food intolerances with my doctor and the diet became more difficult with my restrictions so I have wandered away from it. I tried the higher fat DASH diet and it worked too.

Home cooking it is. Watch the nuts. They add up. Also watch your servings of fruit. Our fruits are bigger than they use to be. I also found the protein to be a bit low for my needs.

Good luck! And founding a Dash diet group would be great. It is not a well known diet but it is relatively simple, very well supported in the medical community, does not restrict food groups and information is available free. Also no special foods required. A little known winner. Perhaps not a "sexy" as some diets but sustainable.

I'm toying with the idea of starting a group here, but don't know if anyone would be interested in it?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to aim for low to moderate salt levels, and higher potassium for a few weeks. I've also cut back on drinking, caffiene and started taking Q10, and drinking match green tea.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    @OliveGirl128 , it would be a great idea if you could. I was too new to the diet, too new to myfitnesspal etc when the thought crosses my mind. Now I am eating a LCHF diet but moderating it. It is beginning to look more like the Higher Fat DASH diet as I understand it. I digress.

I looked for a group when I first joined as I am sure others have. There is so much research about the DASH diet that you could have an awesome reference section and this diet works for all ages.

It is not a fad at the moment so I am not sure about interest. But how much interest do you need to start? I belong to four different groups. One only has 3 people (different diets) and we only talk once a week. Another has about 8-10 members (different diets) and we talk daily, partly because we have a challenge area and we gain points in the challenge for posting. Another has hundreds of members and another thousands, same diet. All have their place for me.

The Dash diet would appeal to those losing weight, those looking to lower blood pressure or lower cholesterol and those looking for a cheap whole family good food eating plan.

Not sure if I would come back to it mostly because I like the higher fat diet and it is working for me. And I have had trouble finding the details of the higher fat DASH diet online. But I think there is a place for a support group.
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    @OliveGirl128 , it would be a great idea if you could. I was too new to the diet, too new to myfitnesspal etc when the thought crosses my mind. Now I am eating a LCHF diet but moderating it. It is beginning to look more like the Higher Fat DASH diet as I understand it. I digress.

I looked for a group when I first joined as I am sure others have. There is so much research about the DASH diet that you could have an awesome reference section and this diet works for all ages.

It is not a fad at the moment so I am not sure about interest. But how much interest do you need to start? I belong to four different groups. One only has 3 people (different diets) and we only talk once a week. Another has about 8-10 members (different diets) and we talk daily, partly because we have a challenge area and we gain points in the challenge for posting. Another has hundreds of members and another thousands, same diet. All have their place for me.

The Dash diet would appeal to those losing weight, those looking to lower blood pressure or lower cholesterol and those looking for a cheap whole family good food eating plan.

Not sure if I would come back to it mostly because I like the higher fat diet and it is working for me. And I have had trouble finding the details of the higher fat DASH diet online. But I think there is a place for a support group.

I'm surprised there's not an active group here after looking into it more-especially since it's so highly Dr. recommended. I'm heading out for the rest of the morning, but think I'll go ahead and start a group later today. This year I've been on a mission to find a plan that fits with my long term health goals, and after I dusted off the paperwork my husband's dr. gave him and looked over the DASH diet it was like a light bulb went off for me :) It's what I've been gravitating towards, with the structure I've been wanting!
  • emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I am still figuring out how to navigate this site so I didn't even realise there were any comments at all on this thread. :)

I am finding it exceedingly difficult to keep the sodium levels down! I am actually using the DASH for weightloss book as a reference right now (as well as online info). It's helping me to really take a look at what's happening in my diet--also I've lost some weight since I started so bonus. I am finding it to be an interesting experiment to cut out starches and sugars to see what it feels like. I'm on day four and I feel pretty fine. I had heard stories of people having major sugar cravings etc and besides the odd passing thought of a cinnamon bun :D , I haven't found it to be an issue.
  • rozzee
    rozzee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im a few months late at reading these post but I was wondering OliveGirl128 or anyone else has started a group. I would I recently have started the DASH ( the one fro vegetarians) and I would like to get motivation and recipe ideas. I really want to get off my blood pressure medication and lose some weight in the process.

• cmanitowabi
    cmanitowabi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Following!
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you did start a group, i would also be keen to join as i have just started the high fat version of the diet
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in a group also. I practice IF 16/8, but during my eating window I try to follow the DASH guidelines.
  • zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just found a Dash Diet group on MFP but it doesn’t look very active and I don’t know why it didn’t show up when I first searched for it. This time I went to groups in the icon on the left at the top of the page and did a general search instead of a title search. It showed up 3rd down on my search results with the author afair1.you can also search on the author. So i joined the group. Maybe if we all join, the group will re-activate and we can support each other to follow this healthy way of eating.

One other thing- I just found out that there are dash diet groups on FB but I haven’t had a chance to look into them yet.
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm in a few Facebook groups. Shakin the sodium is a great one. Lots of recipes and products people find in the grocery store!!
  • Godzgrl1
    Godzgrl1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m beginning phase 1 on Monday!!!!
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    One thing that I have found that really helps cut the salt, is to find a great salt substitute. I found one in Costco that I have been using and I find I don't miss the salt at all. I have heard of the DASH diet, and I know lots of people that follow it. My husband was just diagnosed with diabetes, so we have been following that diet plan and cutting salt is one of the goals.