Cold burning muscles...

Options
I have a query and apologies in advance if it's a stupid question!

I was in Spin class the other day doing a sprint on the bike. The muscles in my thighs started to get tired and achy like they normally do when I'm sprinting. I decided to push myself through instead of slowing down and my thighs all of a sudden felt really cold...

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have an explanation for why is happened/what it meant? It's never happened before and I couldn't find anything online about it.

Thanks if advance!!

Replies

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Ask the instructor.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This is just one of the symptoms of PEES, something that happens with extreme endurance exercise (think spinning, crossfit, marathon, triathalon, etc.) and is a result of dehydration.

Symptoms include:
    • decreased body temperature in affected limb
    • nausea
    • vomiting
    • diarrhea
    • dizziness
    • headache
    • muscular cramping
    • -OR-
    • lack of desire/inability to drink more fluids
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks @rainbowbow I'll have a google and do some reading on PEES. I do find I don't drink very much while I'm spinning so this sounds likely!

Thanks for your help!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    OHammykins wrote: »
    The muscles in my thighs started to get tired and achy like they normally do when I'm sprinting. I decided to push myself through instead of slowing down and my thighs all of a sudden felt really cold...

Well, when the body is stressed.. like not having enough oxygenated blood.. it reduces blood flow to the extremities to preserve the vital organs, and that reduced blood flow makes them feel cold. Maybe that's what's going on.