Working out for bigger people

Options
Being 6’5 and 400 lbs, I am definitely a big guy. I belong to an expensive local Gym, but wonder if I should cancel and just focus on walking or moving more instead? When I do go to the gym, I tend to
Lift weights and add a small amount of cardio to end my workout. Not sure what is best for a man of my size to do in order to lose weight and see the scale move down?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The best thing is a calibrated diet, plus whatever forms of exercise you'll actually do, on a consistent basis. Some of us are designed for endurance, some of us are designed for strength, others are designed for every point between the extremes.

The imperfect program you stick with is better than the perfect program you drop. Just remember to build up exercise time slowly, gradually.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    For the weight loss focus on what you are doing in the kitchen rather than the gym.

Some form of strength training is important to help maintain your muscle whilst you lose.

I think just continue doing what you're doing with the gym and gradually increase you weights and cardio at a comfortable pace.

This thread here might serve as some inspiration http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10557545/as-a-truck-driver-i-lost-189-pounds-using-the-app
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but if you are extremely obese I would logically suggest low-impact forms of exercise like walking until weight is reduced.

Reduced calories combined with walking is an excellent choice. Walking is probably the best low-impact exercises.

Increase time and distance gradually over time.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The best thing is a calibrated diet, plus whatever forms of exercise you'll actually do, on a consistent basis. Some of us are designed for endurance, some of us are designed for strength, others are designed for every point between the extremes.

The imperfect program you stick with is better than the perfect program you drop. Just remember to build up exercise time slowly, gradually.

I would stick to gym membership. So many options you can do in a gym. If your gym has a pool, look into swimming and water fitness classes. If your gym gets to pricey, look into the local ymca.
  • mjcbills1980
    mjcbills1980 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Actually my local gym is $10 and the Y I go to is $45 a month! The Y is closer. Thats why I go there.
  • robinrows
    robinrows Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If your gym has a rower, give it a try. It's relatively low impact (check the concept 2 website for basic technique)
    I find logging my times and taking part in the concept 2 website motivating. Height and weight are an advantage on the rower, so your times will likely look good which it turn is motivating. MFP has a rowing team and we part in the concept 2 online competitions.

Personally I think weight loss is a balance of reducing calorie intake and exercise. Not rocket science and obvious, but the hard thing I find is sticking to it. So if you can find an exercise that you enjoy and motivates you this really helps.

At my heaviest I started by walking regularly. Shin splints and knee issues were a problem, and I found joining a gym and using the rower and weights a useful alternative.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    For bigger people, one of the big issues is exercising in a way that is gentle on joints and is relatively comfortable.

One of the best exercises for that is stationary bike because most of your body weight is supported. Other great choices include swimming (if included at gym), elliptical, weights, and yoga with a skilled instructor who will avoid or modify poses which are difficult for your size.

And....I gotta say I am so proud of you for going to the gym. Just have to say soooo many people here are so afraid to do it, and you're doing it!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Actually my local gym is $10 and the Y I go to is $45 a month! The Y is closer. Thats why I go there.

Same. But the gym doesn't have a pool so I go to the Y. I think all in (Cdn taxes etc.) I'm about $65 a month. I just wish they had more squat racks.