Intermittent Fasting, and Ketosis

Options
If I have this right, one of the benefits of I.F. is it gives your liver the chance to burn off the stored glucose, and start burning fat. Simplified I know but in at nut shell. SO here’s my question, if that is true and if a person is on a KETO diet where you are always in ketosis, is there other benefits to I.F.?

Replies

• rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It is correct, but insignificant for any practical purposes. Your body burns energy (sugar+fat) 24/7. If you want to lose weight, you have to eat less/move more. There are no magic bullets or secret tricks.

The benefits to IF as I see it, is the natural boundaries it provides. You're not eating all the time. There is a time to eat, and the rest of the time is for not-eating. Regular meals become the norm again. Food reclaims its position as one of the important things in life but stops being on your mind all the time. A good meal schedule (one that fits your preferences and daily routines) helps improve eating habits, food enjoyment and confidence.

I do 5:2 and for exactly those reasons - I also log my food everyday, but thats to help me make the good choices daily. It's very easy on "fasting" days to not think about food until dinner, and it has helped me to eat smaller portions overall
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Burning fat is totally normal - that's why you store excess energy, to use when you are in a deficit. It would make zero sense if you had to do something special to use it, doesn't need IF or Keto - both entirely optional. You are cycling between storing and using fat all the time depending on the state of your digestion and activity. It's your balance of storage and use that determines weight gain or loss over time. Attempting to manipulate your fuel substrates is an irrelevance for weight loss.

IF and keto are as related as walking and chewing gum. Food timing and food choices - different ways to help some people manage their calories.
  • ShazRoma
    ShazRoma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is correct, but insignificant for any practical purposes. Your body burns energy (sugar+fat) 24/7. If you want to lose weight, you have to eat less/move more. There are no magic bullets or secret tricks.

The benefits to IF as I see it, is the natural boundaries it provides. You're not eating all the time. There is a time to eat, and the rest of the time is for not-eating. Regular meals become the norm again. Food reclaims its position as one of the important things in life but stops being on your mind all the time. A good meal schedule (one that fits your preferences and daily routines) helps improve eating habits, food enjoyment and confidence.

I do 5:2 and for exactly those reasons - I also log my food everyday, but thats to help me make the good choices daily. It's very easy on "fasting" days to not think about food until dinner, and it has helped me to eat smaller portions overall

What does 5:2 mean?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Google it.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    ShazRoma wrote: »

What does 5:2 mean?

I have 2 days each week where I only eat 500ish Kcal (for me it's one meal in the evenings...it sort of balances out the weekends I guess :)
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    IF has some great benefits at the cellular level (autophagy). There's evidence to suggest that our circadian clocks help dictate the efficiency of our organs and metabolism. There's a great podcast and YouTube video by Rhonda patrick interviewing satchin panda about thus whole thing.

Keto tends to work well for IF in that for some a high fat diet keeps them satiated and allows for s more natural transition to eating fewer meals per day. That's why you see it combined a lot of times.

Eating keto will push your liver to create more ketones for your body to use fat for fuel as opposed to sugar. This does not mean you do not have an insulin response or eat any sugar. It just means if your body doesn't have enough of it, it uses other methods to fuel you throughout the day. For those at maintenance or eating too many calories, it will burn the fat you're eating. If you're at a deficit, it will burn the fat you're storing.